Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October/November Mid/Long Range Disco

NorthArlington101

21 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Euro and EPS have a coastal next Tuesday.  Too warm for everyone, even if the far N+W crew, but worth keeping an eye on.  850s below freezing for the mountains and foothills, but boundary layer is a furnace.

Really hope this active pattern is a sign of the future. Has the feel like we’re going to be tracking D1, D3, D5, and a D10 threat all at the same time this winter at some point.

I honestly think we’re going to be exhausted by the middle of February. We’ll have a chance to recover at some point (mid-January or thereabouts), but the break will be short-lived because the pattern will reload big time, and it’ll be obvious pretty soon after we relax.

Whether we score is another question, but the tracking will be on...

Wow, I have to think if I ever saw it modeled this cold in November around here this far out.

The animation is drowl worthy. If this was middle Jan with snow on ground I can only imagine the temps. 

Oh, I laugh when I see the text Ben uses to describe things, "coldest air on the globe "   :-)      

40 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Trying to learn a bit:

It appeared to me that the 06z GFS was really close to a storm around Day 9. Would have a stronger vort pass done something? Here is the appropriate map from TT (I think). 

soclose.thumb.png.2788d2c3fa87a7ae7a27cddb35c4adeb.png

Compare it to the 0z euro which does have a storm. Euro has the trough axis much farther west, hence allowing the storm to track the coast. With the trough axis on the GFS, it’s a fish storm.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

I would think you would need that Western ridge to be a little further West so that they would be more of a sharper trough in the East

Well yeah, but if what I said was true you’d still get a stronger low to spin up at some point. Like you said though for it to benefit us we’d need other factors.

14 minutes ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

All this rain and it's suddenly going to break dry when cold? It's November so there's probably something about it there but it would be a good sign for the Winter if we could get a first snowstorm in about 10 days.

We just need a continuous set of storminess, which has not been too difficult this year. I think we had one dry set right in July and then never looked back. Timing means everything and the more opportunities we have, the better. We get some blocking to slow the cold exit.... we get the snow. We do not need any storm in 10 days to make me feel we do not have good signs! There are so many good signs every Met, outside the NWS, has been pointing to a snowy winter.. that is PLENTY of signs! :) 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, midatlanticweather said:

We just need a continuous set of storminess, which has not been too difficult this year. I think we had one dry set right in July and then never looked back. Timing means everything and the more opportunities we have, the better. We get some blocking to slow the cold exit.... we get the snow. We do not need any storm in 10 days to make me feel we do not have good signs! There are so many good signs every Met, outside the NWS, has been pointing to a snowy winter.. that is PLENTY of signs! :) 

Feels like we need this in any winter given how we can fail on any storm, lol

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

lol it’s a nuke. Gimme that in another 3-4 weeks please. Tracks overhead, but dumps on Garrett county and WV mountains. 

Isnt this where we take the GFS precip and Euro temps and call it a day?  :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Feels like we need this in any winter given how we can fail on any storm, lol

We can fail with any storm but all long range guidance is now pointing towards higher odds of failing less often so there's that. Miller As are great because you can extrapolate radar instead of praying for redevelopment in time. We'll be able to watch giant slugs of cold rain propagate from the deep south right into our yards! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We can fail with any storm but all long range guidance is now pointing towards higher odds of failing less often so there's that. Miller As are great because you can extrapolate radar instead of praying for redevelopment in time. We'll be able to watch giant slugs of cold rain propagate from the deep south right into our yards! 

Sweet mercy I am so done with that...See, I'm still young in the snow tracking game, so the last two years have taught me some hard snow lessons about that! (I still can't look at snowmaps without flashbacks...traumatized! hahaha)

So if you have a Miller A...it's more about those slugs of moisture coming from the south than timing the "bomb" off the coast? (So in other words...with those, we don't have to worry as much about it "bombing too late and hitting NE"?)

36 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Sweet mercy I am so done with that...See, I'm still young in the snow tracking game, so the last two years have taught me some hard snow lessons about that! (I still can't look at snowmaps without flashbacks...traumatized! hahaha)

So if you have a Miller A...it's more about those slugs of moisture coming from the south than timing the "bomb" off the coast? (So in other words...with those, we don't have to worry as much about it "bombing too late and hitting NE"?)

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic