Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October/November Mid/Long Range Disco

NorthArlington101

32 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

This is when the CCB started to set up over the area around 10am or so....4-6hrs of heavy snow that dropped 6-12" more than eastern areas.  We were in a rare lucky sweet spot.

4Hz1jhl.jpg

Yea man!! It just kept pounding all morning! The excitement that week leading up to the event was awesome.  It's why we all put ourselves through torture with this hobby we have no control over lol.

43 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

This is when the CCB started to set up over the area around 10am or so....4-6hrs of heavy snow that dropped 6-12" more than eastern areas.  We were in a rare lucky sweet spot.

The pictures of the snowfall during the CCB were so intense.  I was getting dry slotted at the time but as it pulled through here, it was legit blizzard conditions for an hour or so.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, poolz1 said:

4Hz1jhl.jpg

That was a great day here with that band parked for hours right over us.  I finished with 35.3", the largest storm I have personally experienced.

1 hour ago, Chris78 said:

Yes It was pretty crazy driving through that. Probably a once in a lifetime around these parts lol. I am a Store manager at a grocery store and the company I worked for was amimant about opening the store that Saturday Morning. We were only open about 4 hours and did 60$ bucks in sales. Lol. How did the tryout go. Did you play any ball in the O's organization?

We had to drive our dog to an animal hospital in Hagerstown at the height of the heaviest snowfall on 2/6/2010.  I will never forget that drive, with having to zig-zag between tractor trailers parked in the lanes on I-81.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I think he must have been referring to a different storm. The only thing that messed up the 2016 storm was the dry slot from hell, and that affected areas somewhat along I-95, but mostly east. West and NW it was hours and hours of CCB moderate to heavy snow.

14 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

You talking about the January 16 storm?  Only 16"?  I had about 30" but the coop in north Hanover reported 32" and the other 30".  How did you get 16?  If you mean the December 2009 storm yea I "only" had 17" here from that one. 

Really need to start writing details of these storms down. I was referring to the 2016 storm but was remembering the wrong storm on my snowfall totals. Went back to check on previous posts I had written for that storm and couldn't find anything. Finally dawned on me that during that time period my Mother had just passed away and it was a hectic time trying to take care of the Estate so I was pretty much MIA on these boards. Add in the fact that it was a bad stretch for me so I probably have blocked that period out somewhat so... But after some thought I believe that was the storm where I was fighting to get to 2 feet (ground truth not snowboarded) of which I eventually did. Just barely.

With being in a lower elevation (little over 600 ft) we quite often under perform compared to those just a few miles away because of shadowing (Hanover is in a valley with higher elevations encircling it). Have to wonder if that 32" from north Hanover was taken in the hills just a couple miles north of town where elevations top 1200 and 1300 feet. Have driven up through there a few times during marginal storms and it is a whole different world. It is amazing the difference just 600-700 feet can mean.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

The last few runs of both the EPS and the GEFS are now picking up on a ramping up of the southern/subtropical jet at the ends of their runs. You can see it is extending all the way back to Hawaii which is one reason you hear it mentioned occasionally as the Pineapple Express.

Nice post.  Where can I get tickets?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:51 PM, psuhoffman said:

You talking about the January 16 storm?  Only 16"?  I had about 30" but the coop in north Hanover reported 32" and the other 30".  How did you get 16?  If you mean the December 2009 storm yea I "only" had 17" here from that one. 

The 2016 storm was amazing but definitely had a dry slot for anyone right around 95 and east. It never really stopped snowing all morning at my house (just barely east of 95), but it was very, very light snow. I'd say just snow showery type stuff, and I think farther to the east was actually getting nothing. The areas on a line from probably about Owings Mills to Columbia and running southwest of there and then to the west just continued to get dumped on by the CCB that morning and got the real big totals. It was painful watching that just pivot and dump only 20 miles away while I was getting very little. When that finally moved east in the afternoon, the fun really started for me. It snowed really hard for about 4-5 hours that afternoon and the wind was picking up at that point. Legit blizzard conditions. I think I picked up 8-10 inches or so just in the afternoon with that as it rotated through. It's the best day-time snow I can remember in a long, long time. Seems almost all of our big snows, especially the most intense portions, happen overnight.

7 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

The 2016 storm was amazing but definitely had a dry slot for anyone right around 95 and east. It never really stopped snowing all morning at my house (just barely east of 95), but it was very, very light snow. I'd say just snow showery type stuff, and I think farther to the east was actually getting nothing. The areas on a line from probably about Owings Mills to Columbia and running southwest of there and then to the west just continued to get dumped on by the CCB that morning and got the real big totals. It was painful watching that just pivot and dump only 20 miles away while I was getting very little. When that finally moved east in the afternoon, the fun really started for me. It snowed really hard for about 4-5 hours that afternoon and the wind was picking up at that point. Legit blizzard conditions. I think I picked up 8-10 inches or so just in the afternoon with that as it rotated through. It's the best day-time snow I can remember in a long, long time. Seems almost all of our big snows, especially the most intense portions, happen overnight.

It was a very tight gradient cutoff from dry slot to pounding - as evidenced by BWI coming in at 29.2 inches for the storm (the record for BWI). My part of Balt City stayed in the crazy snow but eastern sections of the city and Balt County were dealing with that dry air issue, I think.

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

@osfan24 yes, that’s my perception from Columbia. Woke up and had thunder sleet around 7am with 12-13” OTG. Precip from then through early afternoon was tepid at best while @Bob Chill and the VA crew were getting blasted. Then the afternoon was a legit blizzard for 3-4 hours.

I was on the razor's edge that day. Norbeck was the cutoff and I live literally 4 miles west of there. They always say walking the line of the dryslot is a good place to be but 4 miles is too damn close for comfort. Every lull I thought it was over but it just kept coming. I think I'm already paying that day back. Haven't been on the winning edge of the very few storms we've since then and will prob continue (as it should). That stretch from Dec 13 - Jan 16 was really kind to Rockville in general. Reversion is a beeyotch tho

59 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

It was a very tight gradient cutoff from dry slot to pounding - as evidenced by BWI coming in at 29.2 inches for the storm (the record for BWI). My part of Balt City stayed in the crazy snow but eastern sections of the city and Balt County were dealing with that dry air issue, I think.

The fact BWI ended up with almost 30 inches of snow from that storm (BWI is pretty close to my house and the totals are usually similar, though they always seem to report a bit lower) goes to show just how much they got slammed overnight and then in that 4 hour period or so in the afternoon because I don't think I added more than an inch or two at the most for the entire morning, and that's probably being generous. That afternoon snow was a thing of beauty though. Wish I could have bottled it up.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

The fact BWI ended up with almost 30 inches of snow from that storm (BWI is pretty close to my house and the totals are usually similar, though they always seem to report a bit lower) goes to show just how much they got slammed overnight and then in that 4 hour period or so in the afternoon because I don't think I added more than an inch or two at the most for the entire morning, and that's probably being generous. That afternoon snow was a thing of beauty though. Wish I could have bottled it up.

The afternoon turned what was potentially a heart crushing bust into a “oh well, just some bad luck”. 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2018 at 5:16 PM, losetoa6 said:

Hard to believe even  with a Suburban you plowed thru 24 inches dam*...I bet you were  smiling ear to ear . I would have :D. I also think Shepherdstown,WV  was the lollie pop winner with 41" ..I believe . I remember back in the summer of 95' I was there at that college  for an Orioles tryout and it was a record high of 105 that Saturday...wow what a difference..eh

It was the most incredible single storm I have ever seen. We had 40" here. Too bad the rest of the winter was so crappy.

2 hours ago, Ji said:
2 hours ago, Bob Chill said:
Yep, and the really crappy part of it is it's the last one we'll have. 19-20 should be good. Might start a thread. 

Off to a disastrous start as usual

I'm still mad I got less cold rain than what the euro and gfs showed 24 hours b4 onset. No real wind either. Some things never change

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Yep, and the really crappy part of it is it's the last one we'll have. 19-20 should be good. Might start a thread. 

Hey I already put most of my chips on that winter anyway...lol (just because I'm leaning on the just-after solar minimum trend...but of course we've had a couple big ones have come just before the minimum as well, so...who knows? :D Either way, I see this winter and next winter as one thing...with moderate confidence that we will score in one or the other (or both!)

39 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

jason dirty talking on a Tuesday morning.

Everything looks fine right now. But that's not going to stop the freak outs from the usual suspects every bad model run or warm November day. If we get to December with nothing but a raging PV and blowtorch in front of us then maybe it's time to get nervous although even then the analogs suggest most years that start warm recover after December anyways. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic