Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July Doldrums - Summer in full effect Pattern and Model Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

At Mansfield?  

Yesterday tied the old record of 84F set in 1999.  The day before was 83F which was #2 but moves to #3.  

1988 must've been a hot summer as 4 of the top 10 max temps are from that summer.  This summer now owns 2 of the top 3 record max temps.  

What's interesting to me though, is that in the dead of winter you can see temps of like 55F up there in a severe cutter... but in the hottest of the hot in summer the temps are only 25-30F more.

1988 for me (living in Foxboro at the time) is still my all time...so hot and dewey 

52 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

1988 for me (living in Foxboro at the time) is still my all time...so hot and dewey 

1988 had a severe drought in the Plains and Midwest that really got going in the spring. The heat got going there in the spring and gradually spread east. It was a stifling hot and humid summer for most of the U.S. As I recall, that event got the AGW talk into the mainstream media. 

12 minutes ago, Albert A Clipper said:

I hope my renters in Warren are as considerate. Haven't had a renter since May 8th, of course I get one this week who immediately proceeds to set the a/c at 70 on arrival Sunday night. It ran for 14 hours on Monday and 11 yesterday. 

that is the temp to be comfortable for those of us who suffer...not a degree higher

• Like 1

Much different airmass this morning. Like Freak said, deep blue skies and much lower humidity. The problem is, 850s will still be around 19C today so what we lose with dews we probably gain with temps. MOS has much higher anomalies up here versus S NH.

LEB 98, CON 97, 1P1 97, LCI 95, BML 95, HIE 94

ASH 96, MHT 95, EEN 94

Given those NNE numbers you’d normally expect low 100s in S NH. We’ll see how it shakes out.

1 hour ago, Albert A Clipper said:

I ho pe my renters in Warren are as considerate. Haven't had a renter since May 8th, of course I get one this week who immediately proceeds to set the a/c at 70 on arrival Sunday night. It ran for 14 hours on Monday and 11 yesterday. 

WHO should be more considerate?

They ran the A.C at 70 during a Stretch of excessive heat, who is whining. They ran it sunday nite when burlington vermont smashed a 150 year old record for record high lows. Please. 

• Like 1

I hope my renters in Warren are as considerate. Haven't had a renter since May 8th, of course I get one this week who immediately proceeds to set the a/c at 70 on arrival Sunday night. It ran for 14 hours on Monday and 11 yesterday. 

70 seems high got mine set for 67 in the house and 63 in my room.. 

• Thanks 1

I’m in Warren and the ac was totally necessary before the dews came down yesterday.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sbos_wx said:

SW NH is one place I could never live. Not even a prayer. 

EEN bakes in the CV, but you might like AFN or Dublin more - 500-1000' higher and good snow catchers, thanks both to their elev and to the nearby Monads.

14 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

The past two winters there were good...though they can't hold a candle to the 2000-2001s and 2007-2008s.

S.Lillo: Truth.
Though 07-8 and 08-9 were the nickel and dime paloozas that left me really missing blockbuster storms.

Some agreement for 07-08; it was the season of 2-per-week snowstorms, and while there were none approaching blockbuster, loads of 5-10" events were pretty nice nickels and SDDs were off the charts.  08-09 had 2 BB-storms here, 12/21-22 with 15.5" and 4-5 hr meeting blizz criteria (have only had 4 such storms in 20 winters here), and 2/22-23 with the 18" in 7.5 hr band and 24.5" total, bringing depth briefly to 50-51".

Having visited family in Jaffrey over the years there is a subtle but noticeable change coming across the state then going over Temple Mountain, especially in winter. I recall a couple of tense trips heading home over the mountain in bad weather, or just ending up staying in Jaffrey overnight.

12 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yeah I was thinking that had to be a hot summer as multiple different time frames that summer had top 10 warmth at Mansfield.  Usually you see a cluster of two days like this recent stretch on the books during records, but not like a variety of days spread out throughout the summer (if that makes sense).  Meaning it got near record hot a variety of times over the summer.

1 hour ago, rimetree said:

Having visited family in Jaffrey over the years there is a subtle but noticeable change coming across the state then going over Temple Mountain, especially in winter. I recall a couple of tense trips heading home over the mountain in bad weather, or just ending up staying in Jaffrey overnight.

Tense is the word, thanks to slopes, curves, shade, and sometimes indifferent road treatment.  We never visited the ditch in our many trips to Dublin Christian Academy (daughter's jr-sr HS years plus other events), but saw numerous vehicles that had been less fortunate.

Echoing Brian's sentiments and observations...

It's hotter 'n' holy hell here in Ayer, and much of that is because we are a ... still amid the perennial solar maximum time of the year and b .. said sun is shining through the purest blue/unadulterated sky we have yet to witness through this hot pattern saga.  It's like we are right next to the emitter eye of a microwave oven with the feel of that proverbial sibilants out there!

The temperatures on the local Davis' and the like, tied into Wunder' ... they are passing through 93 right now in our township, and it's not noon yet.  The temp may level off ... (20C adiabat + 2meter) tends to = 98 ish.. but, without some mixing I'm not sure we'll max on the sun alone - it's dead calm... 93/67 averaging -

Amazing ridge at 500mb sprawling over such an enormous area of the contiguous U.S.... mid latitudes of of N/A... I don't frankly recall ever seeing one of this anomalous size and 'tallness'...  What is interesting about this though, is that it's really under-performing?   The 850 mb is less charged than it was when this pattern first began to take shape days ago... when there was a Sonoran ejecta involved and tangled up in it up through the OV and NE regions... But, seeing as the ridge is predominating, the lower troposphere is sans any means to really definitively go the other direction if/when that airmass normalized - which it has.. It's 19 to nicking 20 C in the typical mixing depths ...pretty much everywhere from ORD to BOS.  Anyway, if this ridge still had the 25ers rattling around inside ?  Oh..ho, man...

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Estill amid the perennial solar maximum time of the year and b .. said sun is shining through the purest blue/unadulterated sky we have yet to witness through this hot pattern saga.  It's like we are right next to the emitter eye of a microwave oven out there with the feel of that proverbial sibilants out there!..

Was just outside mowing the fields.  Unlike most of the time in intense heat when the skies are quite hazy the sky is a deep blue, tropical blue.  Sun angle just is frying the grass and plants.  Going to be lots of sunburns in New England today with 100% unfiltered deep sun with long daylight.

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Manageable in downtown Plymouth at the parade.  84F

Yeah the wind along eastern/SE coastal zones ...albeit light, is rather ageostrophically pointing AT the 'little bubble no trouble' high that's pressing in from VT ... This is all suggestive when balancing local obs against SPC's meso analysis...

Here in the interior, we are very light ...on the order of 5kts tops with momentary calm intervals...but, what air motion there is, is pretty much due N... actaully a subtle down slope flow.  We have many 91 to 94 backyard obs and NWS sites appear confirming with 93 at EEN (what's new...) ...91  at ASH and FIT..etc... Even BED is 91, with that E drift. 

I'm wondering if the zephyrs cut around for a time later on...  offering some late max potential. 

4 hours ago, ineedsnow said:

70 seems high got mine set for 67 in the house and 63 in my room.. 

Yeah I’ve got the big window unit set to 64. Cools my entire first floor and I think it’s been running nonstop since Saturday.

70 is way too warm for me.

Hot dog walk earlier but early evening yesterday was really as hot and sultry as we see it.  Today is more like a regular hot day.  If we can be free of debris tomorrow we may make one last run at big numbers before the break.  Overall pattern is AOA normal.

6 hours ago, Albert A Clipper said:

It’s been really hot? Don’t rent or rent without an AC if you don’t want people to use it

Just now, weathafella said:

I’m up to 92.  Maybe 95/6 a ceiling?

That's what I'm thinkin' ...

Just popped a 94 at EEN... ASH is 92... I'm 94 here in town...  Boston has E at 8 kts or so - I'm wondering if they may flip late again... there's subtly higher surface pressure here in the interior so ...

We also have pop corn kernels floatin' over head now ... may be we can get an isolated over-achieving tower.. certainly seems possible CT/RI SE zones

Man, unabated sun through tropical ocean skies is really smearing a hot panache on affairs outside today. 

10 minutes ago, alex said:

89.8! DP is in the 50’s so it actually feels great out. Gorgeous day. Rooting for 90, would be my first since moving here!

Congrats Alex.  Just checked your up to 90.5F.  What was your low this year  -39F?  Nice 130F swing.  Grab the kiddos and come on down for a swim this PM!

5 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Congrats Alex.  Just checked your up to 90.5F.  What was your low this year  -39F?  Nice 130F swing.  Grab the kiddos and come on down for a swim this PM!

Yesss, we did it! What a day. Went for a swim at the Mt Washington- so hard to schedule anything with the kids but would love to come to the lake sometime. It was great to enjoy the pool there with some real summer temps though... doesn’t happen too often. Felt very “vacation-y”