Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

I was at a barbecue last night and everyone complaining about the “cold”  May.   When I read the dailies to them in May they were shocked.  The populace does not perceive that May was a warm month even though the numbers say it was.

Wow, what a party animal!  Pulling out the dailies for entertainment! :lol: 

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Saw 38F on my car leaving the house at 6am.... no frost.  

ASOS out in the field hit 34F again.

Freezing temps again at SLK, BML, and probably HIE.

40° at my house.  Beautiful stretch of weather but we need some rain.  Starting to get brown at the golf course in areas that aren't covered by sprinklers and irrigation isn't a complete replacement for rain.

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

I was at a barbecue last night and everyone complaining about the “cold”  May.   When I read the dailies to them in May they were shocked.  The populace does not perceive that May was a warm month even though the numbers say it was.

Purely a subjective analysis but ... my hunch is that general attitudes were soured and too mired in a malaise from what was DEFINITELY, not questionably, an abusively cold and patience-eroding April. That did not exactly set 'civility' up with any sense of fairness going into May.   

In short, think moods tinting perception -  ..

I think there is something to that. If April had been balmy and blue birdie ...with lilacs and lawn mowing, and the sweet aromas of aliphatic sugars from cracking maple buds, ... May miiiight have had a fighting chance in creating a different sort of verdict in the court of public opinion.  

April really was psychologically abusively belated.  I've opined my hatred for that month plenty in the past, but the actual reality of how un-redeeming this version of 'why' that hatred exists...really went beyond the pale by an act of 'atmospheric immorality' ...  I am really pretty resolute, every year, that April's will be bad in New England for the sanely sentient humans .among us.. Behind the iron-hulls of that defense mechanism ... my internal monologue usually chants, 'no matter how much it puts up a fight, July is still waiting.' That gets me through it. Ha. It was interesting to sit back and read articles about late flu epidemiology in the area do to cooping ... if not statistical spikes in police beats regarding domestic blow-out calls.  People were pissed, sick and pissed actually, and yet... what did they get when seeking elixir? Another sleet and rain at 38 storm.   The month beat the dead horse, again and again... and then, did it again.  Finally, one more time ... just before doing it forever.  You gettin' me?

Anyway, with such PTSD going into May?  I think anything less than 86 every day was prooooobably going to 86 that month in people's impressions of matters. 

3 hours ago, mreaves said:

Wow, what a party animal!  Pulling out the dailies for entertainment! :lol: 

The funny thing is one guy asked what I consider the right question-how many days were close to 20 degrees cooler vs the day before.   Only one came close and those cool temperatures held for 2 days.

10 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Another thing that might have affected how people judged May was the first few days were absurdly hot (+20s).  

While there were certailing many more AN days, nothing else was close

Agree.  People all went full Kevin.

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Saw 38F on my car leaving the house at 6am.... no frost.  

ASOS out in the field hit 34F again.

Freezing temps again at SLK, BML, and probably HIE.

Did not look at the max-min, but the indoor-outdoor was cooler than yesterday when the other instrument touched 35.  No frost on vehicle roofs, but the max-min is 10 feet lower and blocked from the sun, which had been up for nearly an hour and was hitting those roofs when I ventured outside.

Complaining of a cold May?  Perhaps in rainy SNE locales, but up here it was as nice a May as I can recall, except for those trying to garden in the dust.  Though the morning lows were right on the 20-year average here, daily highs were +5 and 2nd highest of those 20 years.  Available sunshine, measured crudely by adding days I rate as "sunny" to 1/2 of "PC" days, was also #2, and 2 days higher than the warmest May.

19 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Did not look at the max-min, but the indoor-outdoor was cooler than yesterday when the other instrument touched 35.  No frost on vehicle roofs, but the max-min is 10 feet lower and blocked from the sun, which had been up for nearly an hour and was hitting those roofs when I ventured outside.

Complaining of a cold May?  Perhaps in rainy SNE locales, but up here it was as nice a May as I can recall, except for those trying to garden in the dust.  Though the morning lows were right on the 20-year average here, daily highs were +5 and 2nd highest of those 20 years.  Available sunshine, measured crudely by adding days I rate as "sunny" to 1/2 of "PC" days, was also #2, and 2 days higher than the warmest May.

SNE was very dry , and warm in May. Far s. Coastal areas had a lot of cloudy days, but everyone roasted . All sites BN precip

Talk about climate change.  What is the chance this could happen in 2018?

June 10 1842..

" A late season snowstorm struck New England.  Snow fell during the morning and early afternoon, accumulation to a depth of 10" to 12" at Irasburg VT.  Berlin NH was blanketed with 11" inches of snow during the day.  Snow whitened the higher peaks of the Appalachians as far south as Maryland".  (From David Ludlum's Weatherbook)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Crap month here in SNE, 17 days with .01 + recorded at all the 4 climo sites, only 4 clear days,  17 cloudy 10 partly cloudy, couple of really hot days skewed the month otherwise it was a steady dose of crap

6 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

June 10 1842..

" A late season snowstorm struck New England.  Snow fell during the morning and early afternoon, accumulation to a depth of 10" to 12" at Irasburg VT.  Berlin NH was blanketed with 11" inches of snow during the day.  Snow whitened the higher peaks of the Appalachians as far south as Maryland".  (From David Ludlum's Weatherbook)

would love to see re-analysis for this one :lol: 

http://www.glenallenweather.com/historylinks/1842/June 11, 1842.pdf

mid 40s and flakes in the air midday in Boston on 6/10? I have my doubts, but who knows.

Maybe there are newspaper archives that go back this far to verify/get more info?  

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

How burned out are the lawns up there?

Ha they actually aren't bad at all... still lush green everywhere somehow.  Thick grass. We had 3-4" of rain in May but nothing in June so far... though each morning is some of the heaviest dew you'll ever see, everything dripping.

I have to imagine the cooler weather in the means (-3 departures) have helped the grass and the rad cooling overnight gets us to the crossover temps and dew each night.  My bet is if we were seeing low to mid 80s each day in this pattern they'd dry out real quick?  I don't really know grass though, lol.

7 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

June 10 1842..

June used to be a winter month.

1 hour ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Sorry to interrupt the conversation, my latest draft is done for the first novel, I am now starting the second novel and will spend the next month and a half on this one, its called "Until Dawn and Until Dusk"

Not a fan of the title. post a poll here with 4 choices, let the people contribute. 

2 hours ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Sorry to interrupt the conversation, my latest draft is done for the first novel, I am now starting the second novel and will spend the next month and a half on this one, its called "Until Dawn and Until Dusk"

I'm not an English teacher but the grammar sounds off a bit unless that is the intent with the repetitive title.  Perhaps a "Dawn to Dusk or "From Dawn until Dusk" may be options if those names are not already taken.