• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

I have a 1989 JD 185 Hydro bought brand new in 1989, Mowed an acre of lawn every year and snow blow 2 driveways every winter, (mine is 150') so it ran year round and was pretty tired, I did a complete overhaul including a new to me engine and replaced everything belts pulleys spindles, etc, etc, They just don't make them now like they did then and she is as good as new once again.

0DA22B9D-4273-48AF-852D-090EED401786.jpeg

98B5C80A-1BC4-4E57-8098-03EA3306482B.jpeg

43D1A116-9A7C-4A8F-B1A4-3BED84E14701.jpeg

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I just use a walk behind...(self propelled).   Not sure I need a riding one, but they are nice, especially if they have a big bagger.  

Anyway, I won't be minding these moderate temp days until school gets out

I can actually get the yard done faster with a walk behind, just a lot more sweat involved.

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

I have a 1989 JD 185 Hydro bought brand new in 1989, Mowed an acre of lawn every year and snow blow 2 driveways every winter, (mine is 150') so it ran year round and was pretty tired, I did a complete overhaul including a new to me engine and replaced everything belts pulleys spindles, etc, etc, They just don't make them now like they did then and she is as good as new once again.

0DA22B9D-4273-48AF-852D-090EED401786.jpeg

98B5C80A-1BC4-4E57-8098-03EA3306482B.jpeg

43D1A116-9A7C-4A8F-B1A4-3BED84E14701.jpeg

Just gonna send it.

20 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Life is too precious and short to tie yourself up with work, around the clock. Just too much out there to experience and enjoy. I commend you and anyone else so dedicated to their profession or to start/run their own business....but I can’t work myself into the ground like that. My dad did, poor guy never made it to retirement. 

I work hard and do many DIY around the house, but I’ll be damned if I didnt have off days to play, anything.....I’d go insane. 

Right now I don't have much choice.  I did just spend 8 days in Ireland so I do have my vacations.  Getting a business up and going is a lot of work.  Hopefully the dividends down the road pay off.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dryslot said:

Nice job on the restoration.  That's a dream of mine to take something completely down and back like that.  You did a good job.  You're right that they don't make them like they used to.  I have a Case 446 and that thing is built like a beast!

2 hours ago, MetHerb said:

Nice job on the restoration.  That's a dream of mine to take something completely down and back like that.  You did a good job.  You're right that they don't make them like they used to.  I have a Case 446 and that thing is built like a beast!

Thanks Dave, Its actually very rewarding, I'm fortunate being a jack of all trades and able to do mechanical and construction work on my own, All the tractor brands from that era and before were built for the long haul, That is why it was worth it to me to sink a few $$$ into her.

2 hours ago, amarshall said:

Look for Moondancer oysters. They are one of mine from Damariscotta

For years there have been oyster-farm rafts just downstream of the Damariscotta River Association's dock/float on the Dodge Point state land, on the Newcastle side.  Would you know if you're working near there?

I had a huge moth fly in when I opened the door a short while ago. At first I thought it was a bat. The pattern on its wings is gorgeous and the wing span was probably 5-6". Fortunately I was able to get it back out without injuring it. 

I did a Google image search and found that it is a Polyphemus Moth which is the giant silk moth family.  

IMG_0563.JPG

4 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

I had a huge moth fly in when I opened the door a short while ago. At first I thought it was a bat. The pattern on its wings is gorgeous and the wing span was probably 5-6". Fortunately I was able to get it back out without injuring it. 

I did a Google image search and found that it is a Polyphemus Moth which is the giant silk moth family.  

IMG_0563.JPG

The gypsies are coming. The Redcoats are coming. Hear the drum beats get louder 

• Haha 1