Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Ouch,   Alex in the Valley at Bretton Woods,  30.2F.  I've been to his weather station and it seemed very accurate.  Looking at his graph on WxUnderground he was below freezing from 345am to about 640am.   I'll have to text him to see how much damage was done to his garden....

Wasn't up early enough to see the frost, but I've learned my lesson - mostly - so just about all my plants are hardy enough to Withstand some freezing temps. Only thing that looks to not have made it is a couple of mini watermelon plants which I wanted to try out; they actually looked pretty dead yesterday after the 33 low, today was just the final shot. Everything else has some leaf damage at worst. Beautiful day though!

yet most places are above normal... ?

maybe a different world up there than down here.  But, regardless ... there's definitely been a weird kind of tendency to ride both regimes going on even here.  Fascinatingly, the pattern "looks" colder than normal, but... averages have been above that tenor suggestion - which is strange.

I really have been hypothesizing in muse that this pattern is because of surplus heat in the west forcing planetary wave lengths to buckle in the means down wind over the GL/NE ...adjacent eastern N/A... 

I wonder about July :unsure:

5 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Only 74F here under cloudy skies all day, even though ASOS reporting CLR all day.

I've noticed that with ASOS and ceilings above 15,000 (or so...) and up in the past.

By the way, Euro 100+ D9 ... mid way thru a heat wave.  Probably something for the other thread -

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I've noticed that with ASOS and ceilings above 15,000 (or so...) and up in the past.

By the way, Euro 100+ D9 ... mid way thru a heat wave.  Probably something for the other thread -

The on-air METs were saying it was a thin OVC so that may have played into it too.  Ground truth has been cloudy all day.  Definitely not clear.

42 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

yet most places are above normal... ?

maybe a different world up there than down here.  But, regardless ... there's definitely been a weird kind of tendency to ride both regimes going on even here.  Fascinatingly, the pattern "looks" colder than normal, but... averages have been above that tenor suggestion - which is strange.

June is pretty solidly below normal for most of New England so far.

ORH is -2.1

BOS is -2.0

My local stations at MVL is -2.7 and MPV is -3.0.  

Up here June 1st was +19 and then every other day has been at or below normal.

It probably looks below normal because it has been ;).

This is the local dailies up here that get -2.7, but look at the first day of the month compared to the others.  Add in today is solidly below normal too with 34F min.  Normal is 72/48.

IMG_9904.PNG.56ab92bffbfda6bcf92ef60b3d5ea939.PNG

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Huh?  June is pretty solidly below normal for most of New England so far.

ORH is -2.1

BOS is -2.0

My local stations at MVL is -2.7 and MPV is -3.0.  

Up here June 1st was +19 and then every other day has been at or below normal.

It probably looks below normal because it has been ;).

Meh, I posted about this a couple weeks back, how it "seemed" cooler than it has been - average wise and sensible weather-wise and so forth...  The only difference now, you actually have a couple of excuses listed there.  10 days doesn't mean "it's been" much of anything significant - I know I know ... but no - taken fwiw, "June" means nothing to me.

Saying months is a useless temporal boundary in space and time... How about May 20th thru June 13th....  Why not May 10 thru June 20th...  arbitrary. 

We have had 4 and 5 day stints below normal here, too... yet, the expanded data set always has bounced back.  I did not admittedly check the first 10 days ...but again, I would not be inclined do so,  based upon seasonal awareness, which is a broader more convincing canvas.    

All that ..and, I clearly did place a question mark after that fist statement, indicating I wasn't sure about N NE. 

22 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Meh, I posted about this a couple weeks back, how it "seemed" cooler than it has been - average wise and sensible weather-wise and so forth...  The only difference now, you actually have a couple of excuses listed there.  10 days doesn't mean "it's been" much of anything significant - I know I know ... but no - taken fwiw, "June" means nothing to me.

Saying months is a useless temporal boundary in space and time... How about May 20th thru June 13th....  Why not May 10 thru June 20th...  arbitrary. 

We have had 4 and 5 day stints below normal here, too... yet, the expanded data set always has bounced back.  I did not admittedly check the first 10 days ...but again, I would not be inclined do so,  based upon seasonal awareness, which is a broader more convincing canvas.    

All that ..and, I clearly did place a question mark after that fist statement, indicating I wasn't sure about N NE. 

Ah I see what you were saying.  My bad I thought you were saying June has been above normal despite seeming colder.  

I too was surprised to see the first 1/3rd of the month so solidly below normal as I thought ORH and BOS latitude was near normal, not -2.0 in the means.  

I do think there's been a tendency for slightly colder relative to normal the further north you go, but that's also likely a function of most of the ASOS being in mountain valleys, where radiative effects have been maximized this month due to the dry air masses and lack of rain.  My bet is we are much more below normal on the minimums than the afternoon maximums due to the high diurnal ranges in these dry patterns.  

Rare June frost advisory posted by GYX.

BTV mentioned patchy frost but didn't think it was enough to warrant an advisory.  

There was a surprising amount of spots <35F last night, so probably better to err on the side of caution given similar dews this afternoon and no air mass change.

4 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

4 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

The on-air METs were saying it was a thin OVC so that may have played into it too.  Ground truth has been cloudy all day.  Definitely not clear.

The old manned ob code was SKC for sky clear. It meant clear skies at all levels. ASOS came along and all of the ceilometers only measured up to 12kft. So when you are clear below 12,000ft and overcast above, the automated ob reports CLR (clear below 12kft). The larger airport manned stations with full augmentation kept reporting cloud layers up to 25kft which covers the altostratus and cirris levels. BOS even reports up to 35kft. There are newer ceilometers being slowly implemented that measure up to 25kft, but it seems like very few airports have received them over the past decade when the operation was supposedly started. Maybe funding for this hit a brick wall.

47F and falling fast at 10pm.

A bunch of PWS on the west side of the mountain are already down to 43-44F, including a NWS mets station in Nashville, VT.  

If those spots are already in the low/mid-40s so early, could be a lot of 30s by morning.  

Gotta love how localized readings can vary and seems in these parts it's the 700-900ft elevations that get coldest.  Like right now in Huntington, VT (West Slope, SE of BTV at base of Camels Hump)... 43F at 800ft while still in the 50s at the two 1,400ft stations.

Cold settling into the river drainage at 800ft, while it stays warm up on the slope.  The nuances of rad cooling.

IMG_9905.PNG.a7c85c95ee867408a3252d1c9dfa43ac.PNG