Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Blizzard 2018 Take II: The Firehose

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, sbos_wx said:

Sorry, excited by one of the worst storms we've ever had

Ya, you guys are getting Raked for sure!!

But this is very forgettable here...not taking anything away from what your area is experiencing at all...but it was a snoozer here.

Wish we got in on something here..no snow, no real wind(a few higher gusts but nothing to write home about), just some rain.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh no one is discounting the impact of wind and water. We've been saying for days that this storm, regardless of how much snow it dumped, would likely be remembered for the flooding aspect. I'm very impressed by the wind. Some of the strongest NW winds I can remember in these parts.

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

We got a sloppy inch here this morning. 

I am very very surprised that we have been skunked otherwise.  Amazing dynamic event though.  Very impressed. 

I don’t think any model really did well on the whole

They all did pretty well. None of them bit on a BL that was anything but torched.

4 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

Yup, we'll see how we do. I wasn't talking about you. You keep a clean weenie.

Its been well hashed out on this forum that people generally care first about stuff that impacts them.  It just is how it is.

I think everyone seems to have been impressed by the wind obs there.  But there's a limit to how excited folks are going to get if they aren't seeing it themselves.

5 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

Yup, we'll see how we do. I wasn't talking about you. You keep a clean weenie.

I think everyone has IMBY syndrome to some extent.  I don't think people want to wish others to be left out, but there is definitely jealousy when it comes to snow fall.  deniers are all around, but I am pretty sure it's a fact.

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Fun looking through the obs in NY State, haha.

Syracuse didn't see a visibility above 1/2 Moderate Snow from 7am until 5pm... and the vast majority of those 10 hours were spent at +SN 1/4sm.

Looks like 15-18" in that area today.

It's never fun looking at obs for stolen snow....

Just now, Cold Miser said:

I think everyone has IMBY syndrome to some extent.  I don't think people want to wish others to be left out, but there is definitely jealousy when it comes to snow fall.  deniers are all around, but I am pretty sure it's a fact.

Except that BOS currently has 0.0" of snow and a certain someone decided to berate anyone and everyone who even hinted that this wouldn't be a huge snowstorm.

3 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Oh no one is discounting the impact of wind and water. We've been saying for days that this storm, regardless of how much snow it dumped, would likely be remembered for the flooding aspect. I'm very impressed by the wind. Some of the strongest NW winds I can remember in these parts.

The wind deff did not dissapoint, which it usually does around here. Coastal spots took a beating, not downplaying that at all.

1 minute ago, JC-CT said:

They all did pretty well. None of them bit on a BL that was anything but torched.

Disagree.  Modeling was all over the place.  Granted it was a tough storm. 

NAM showed a lot of snow for a lot of people outside of NYS...so it BIT.

I agree with Tip..they were all bad, and they all had a good run or two also with regard to how this ended up.  

I’m glad it’s about done here...looking forward to Wednesday... 

8 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Is Ginx over to snow yet? Looks like he may be close on dual pol as that bright band shrinks. 

Yea mixes with rain but bursts are all snow.  Least of my worries, pretty bad out here Ryan those gusts in those gravity waves were huge . Lots of trees down and a branch through my roof, softball size hole, temporary repair on the roof was not fun for a 61 year old.

4 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Except that BOS currently has 0.0" of snow and a certain someone decided to berate anyone and everyone who even hinted that this wouldn't be a huge snowstorm.

Yeah. I get that, and didn't want to bring that up again since that person is now on the heavy wind and rain wave right now instead.  But hey, it's weather. People here are pretty good about it in the end.  I can be an annoying troll, but it's all in fun.  There are many who invest what seem to be countless hours tracking these things.  Lots of emotion at game time, and frustrated exhales when it doesn't pan out the way it was hoped for.

Just now, WinterWolf said:

Disagree.  Modeling was all over the place.  Granted it was a tough storm. 

NAM showed a lot of snow for a lot of people outside of NYS...so it BIT.

I agree with Tip..they were all bad, and they all had a good run or two also with regard to how this ended up.  

I’m glad it’s about done here...looking forward to Wednesday... 

A couple runs but for the most part, no it showed a torched boundary layer and people adjusted in their heads for it. I understand why people discounted it. If I could predict the future, i would just buy a Powerball ticket.

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The wind deff did not dissapoint, which it usually does around here. Coastal spots took a beating, not downplaying that at all.

Definitely. There's just no masking my annoyance when Atlantic City does better with a freaking closed 500 low south of Long Island. That's a tough pill to swallow.

1 minute ago, Cold Miser said:

Yeah. I get that, and didn't want to bring that up again since that person is now on the heavy wind and rain wave right now instead.  But hey, it's weather. People here are pretty good about it in the end.  I can be an annoying troll, but it's all in fun.  There are many who invest what seem to be countless hours tracking these things.  Lots of emotion at game time, and frustrated exhales when it doesn't pan out the way it was hoped for.

I've been on the losing end of that so many times I can't even count. I spent like 40 hours on the March 2014 ocean storm. But I also accept uncertainty, and more importantly, fallibility.

8pm... is anyone over to complete and steady snowfall down there?

I'm honestly blown away that there isn't one person on here reporting moderate to heavy snow right now in the firehose.  Had someone said that anytime from 24-120 hours ago they would've been laughed out of here, by myself included.

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yea mixes with rain but bursts are all snow.  Least of my worries, pretty bad out here Ryan those gusts in those gravity waves were huge . Lots of trees down and a branch through my roof, softball size hole, temporary repair on the roof was not fun for a 61 year old.

Same here.  Still windy.

Sucks about the roof, dude.

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Any pics?

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Any pics?

I will take one tomorrow when we go back up there to at least reshingle. That's if there is no snow up there  Sucks bro.  I moved 10 to 15  6 inch plus diameter branches some 15 feet long out of the yard, About 6 hit my roof one straight in. Lots of trees down . Fuking gypsy moths

A couple runs but for the most part, no it showed a torched boundary layer and people adjusted in their heads for it. I understand why people discounted it. If I could predict the future, i would just buy a Powerball ticket.

No one is saying that it wasn’t adjusted for...I didn’t expect much if any snow...and that’s exactly what happened. 

We all have our opinions...and I think the models weren’t all too hot...Euro makes a huge jump last night at go time...not too impressive in my opinion...you can adjust your thinking to that lol.  

The problem was, All the models for the most part showed a torched boundary layer, At some point, You can't just keep tossing them out.

Archived