Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Blizzard 2018 Take II: The Firehose

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

With dual-pol, what you're looking for is that ring of CC (correlation coefficient) around KBOX to gradually collapse towards the radar and get smaller.

Think of the area inside the ring as above freezing, the air outside the ring below. So you want to shrink the area inside the ring to signal colder air winning.

Based on it.. you think it’s a mix or rain?

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Based on it.. you think it’s a mix or rain?

I wish it were that simple. Because the beam is angled, it gains elevation pretty quickly even at 0.5 degrees out by you. So that ring is really 5,000+ feet up. It's only a snap shot of beam location, but trends are good. It is shrinking in size.

Paste job in progress, SN FG, 32° F. Actually cooler at DDH and AQW last check than it is here. 10" last check about an hour ago, maybe 10.5-11" now, but snow is very pasty so ratios are not good. Definitely not as much orographic enhancement with the N wind here as there was with E to NE wind overnight.

37 minutes ago, ma blizzard said:

37.9 / 38 .. temp keeps rising

about 5 mins ago saw some flakes mixed in but it was mostly like these chunks of ice that were coming down 

Ran out to my truck in Marlborough about 15 minutes ago and had some wet flakes mixed in.  Very heavy rain.  

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I wish it were that simple. Because the beam is angled, it gains elevation pretty quickly even at 0.5 degrees out by you. So that ring is really 5,000+ feet up. It's only a snap shot of beam location, but trends are good. It is shrinking in size.

That’s just above the roof of his house. 

3 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

Paste job in progress, SN FG, 32° F. Actually cooler at DDH and AQW last check than it is here. 10" last check about an hour ago, maybe 10.5-11" now, but snow is very pasty so ratios are not good. Definitely not as much orographic enhancement with the N wind here as there was with E to NE wind overnight.

32.7 at the pit, not sure what’s going on beyond that.  I’m s a bit choppy here descending into PWM.  Wheeeeee

Archived