Newest Member
    joxey
-NAO Coastal Bomb March 1-3, 2018 Disco

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

WHo gets the most will depend on where banding sets up and can cool most efficiently. I’d rather it mostly fall at night and the ground be colder, but heavy enough rates can overcome that. 

Exactly. Everyone at school asks me what is going on with this storm. All they care about is temperature. So they say if it's over 32, it won't snow. But, a few weeks ago, it was about 38 where I was, and It snowed so hard the roads were covered in about 15 minutes. 

1 minute ago, Taylor Warwick said:

Exactly. Everyone at school asks me what is going on with this storm. All they care about is temperature. So they say if it's over 32, it won't snow. But, a few weeks ago, it was about 38 where I was, and It snowed so hard the roads were covered in about 15 minutes. 

You want to look at H85 (850mb) temps. A general rule of thumb is that when h85 is below freezing and surface temps are close to freezing, this will allow for the column to cool. What is happening is that the frozen precip is falling into the warmer temperatures and melting. As this happens, it will cool the atmosphere because the melting of the precip requires energy and this energy is pulled from the atmosphere. As this energy is pulled, the air around it subsequently cools. As long as the dew point and surface temperatures are apart (in other words, the column is not fully saturated), then the column can continue to cool. 

People are still chasing mirages. Nothing has changed with this storm. A rain event with a minor swipe of wet snow at the end. My forecast hasn’t changed in days, Trace to 1 inch up by me, nothing for the city. The models are getting warmer, less snow. The NAM is overdone nonsense as usual and it’s coming back to reality now, at 18z, way less impressive for snow and that will continue with the subsequent runs, the new 18z RGEM is mostly all rain, very little snow even for Orange County. Upton just realeased their update, all rain for the city, 1-2 inches up by me (Rockland), more for elevated areas of Orange County on north. No winter advisories, warnings, watches or statements for anyone in Upton’s area except Orange and Putnam and rightfully so. This has always been a dynamically cooled, elevated driven event, exclusively for upstate/north. No cold anywhere. 

Just now, Metasequoia said:

How so?

Everyone is above freezing east of the PA/NJ border on the RAP and on the NAM everyone is below freezing including most of LI.  The low is much closer.  We need to cool the mid-levels while we have the dynamics for the heavier precip to help cool the BL.  Basically we need the CCB on top while everything is below 0 @ 850 and above.  NAM vs the world.

2 minutes ago, friedmators said:

Everyone is above freezing east of the PA/NJ border on the RAP and on the NAM everyone is below freezing including most of LI.  The low is much closer.  We need to cool the mid-levels while we have the dynamics for the heavier precip to help cool the BL.  Basically we need the CCB on top while everything is below 0 @ 850 and above.  NAM vs the world.

Thanks. RAP sucks, but I need to see more support for NAM's solution until I'm excited.

1 minute ago, friedmators said:

Great post! The writing is on the wall with this one, has been for awhile now. The new RGEM is a rainstorm, the HRRRX doesn’t even turn me over to snow through 36 hours, when it’s all over and I’m 35 miles NW of NYC. Upton may actually be too generous showing Rockland at 2 inches. Trace to maybe 1” is more like it

2 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Great post! The writing is on the wall with this one, has been for awhile now. The new RGEM is a rainstorm, the HRRRX doesn’t even turn me over to snow through 36 hours, when it’s all over and I’m 35 miles NW of NYC. Upton may actually be too generous showing Rockland at 2 inches. Trace to maybe 1” is more like it

I don't know the RAP at the end of its cycle though.  Is it like the 384hr GFS?

I guess my expectation where I am is for maybe a slushy inch (that would also go for the city). That’s taking the average of the model guidance-NAM would have more but the rest are practically nothing. It’ll depend on the radar and how fast the layers cool. If the radar is showery or the best CCB sets up over NJ, I might not accumulate at all. 

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I guess my expectation where I am is for maybe a slushy inch (that would also go for the city). That’s taking the average of the model guidance-NAM would have more but the rest are practically nothing. It’ll depend on the radar and how fast the layers cool. If the radar is showery or the best CCB sets up over NJ, I might not accumulate at all. 

agreed -slushy inch or less over  NYC and most areas south of 78 in NJ - ground is going to be so soaked with temps staying several degrees above freezing makes any snow that falls difficult to stick to the ground if the temp manages to get down below 35 may stick more easily to power lines and tree branches

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

Really getting the shaft here locally by NWS, with just a wind advisory, flood watch and no winter weather bulletins. 

If there was a reason to issue them they would have and if things change they will - right now no reason to issue anything more

3 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

If there was a reason to issue them they would have and if things change they will - right now no reason to issue anything more

To be fair though, they usually split Bergen County in these cases. Where I live is on the edge of the hills and it can sometimes be night and day between here and the Meadowlands no more than 15-20 miles to my Southeast.

Archived