Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
-NAO Coastal Bomb March 1-3, 2018 Disco

WeatherFeen2000

19 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

It seems like every model is over doing the surface temps except the nam...what are the chances that's the case?

Actually, with regards to surface temps, this is a very distinct possibility. I have seen many times when the thermals of the NAM are much more realistic than any other model. In fact, I have even seen where the NAM is the coldest and it is overdone as well. Now, there is no real high pressure to speak of, so everything comes down to CCB and dynamics, however, I would trust NAMs temperatures at this point. Also, begin to look at other short term hi res models as well. Lastly, the fact that the 3 KM NAM was even colder points to the fact that I believe Long Island will also see decent snows out of this. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, gravitylover said:

Boy Upton is really hedging their bets for east of the Hudson aren't they. Apparently I'm expected to get less than 1" of snow and this is predominantly a rainstorm.

They could be right and that is what most of the models show.

Hats off to anyone who has to make a forecast for NYC/eastern NJ/western LI tomorrow. Could be a slushy inch, could be 6. In these dynamic cooling situations, temps often drop off more than models show when the column is cooling, but hard to go against every model except the NAM showing practically no snow here. 

Just now, jm1220 said:

Hats off to anyone who has to make a forecast for NYC/eastern NJ/western LI tomorrow. Could be a slushy inch, could be 6. In these dynamic cooling situations, temps often drop off more than models show when the column is cooling, but hard to go against every model except the NAM showing practically no snow here. 

I'm going to give it my best shot after I see the 18z NAM. 

Significant issues with nowcasting..radar is much more enhanced with the wide band of precip currently over the mid-Atlantic and Virginia area....where both models nam and gfs have been bone dry with their 6 and 9 hour forecasts from 12z.  All morning long southern and central VA have received a lot more precip than was projected.

this could mean the transfer to the coast is and will be quicker.  In fact both nam and gfs both show practically no precip should be over Virginia this afternoon.. 

also, 850’s will be below freezing for the whole area at around 5am Tom morning...this is what people should be concentrating on temp wise...not nitpicking where the surface 32 line will be..the atmosphere will be crashing below freezing after 7am.

im expecting snow to be mixing in / changing here around midnight tonight. Maybe earlier

51 minutes ago, tdp146 said:

On the NAM from Upton:

The NAM, although an outlier wrt
track, is more aggressive with the magnitude of cooling with
the sys. Collaboration with WPC suggests the NAM historically
overdoes the amount of cooling, so this output is not favored.

Following your quote, they also mention:

However, thermal profile margins of around a degree or two are
the difference between hvy rain and hvy snow with this storm.
With the track consensus consolidating, more snow was added to
the fcst for nwrn zones, particularly the higher elevations.
Although the probability is low based on the 00z model data
being used, any downward trend in the thermal profile could lead
to much more snowfall across the majority of the area. A strong
cstl front should set up across sern CT and ern LI, so areas w
of this boundary will be the ones to watch. (Upton, 2018)

Just now, Ericjcrash said:

But It's significantly warmer man, I get it getting ravaged by the CCB but winds are absolutely ripping off the bathtub. 

Why are you still looking at temps when every knowledgeable poster here has been saying for two days the models are too warm?

Just now, Ericjcrash said:

May be too warm, sure. But to get even warmer? Not ideal. I do think outside of eastern Suffolk, everyone sees some snow. 

Maybe if I lived out on Long Island I wouldn't be as optimistic, but the models are too warm. 

No way you're going to get all rain when you have a sub 975mb low parked near 70W.

Archived