Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-4th ... first -NAO anchored storm perhaps in years

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ginx snewx said:

So I looked at every run of the main models when they had the best winter/snow outcomes, verdict is every single one of them had crashing heights below 534 in the Chicago region 12 Z Thursday, all the warm solutions were plus 540 and really slow to deepen. That is the key spot for me. 

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Nammy with a 546.

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

So I looked at every run of the main models when they had the best winter/snow outcomes, verdict is every single one of them had crashing heights below 534 in the Chicago region 12 Z Thursday, all the warm solutions were plus 540 and really slow to deepen. That is the key spot for me. 

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Yes, we want the bowling ball look very early on....

Guys... I really think you may be focussing on the wrong gunk ... 

you need to look N at that wave train pressing east through N Maine... That run yesterday, the 18z?  That one showed a slightly farther south axis of motion, and that subtlety made a huge difference on that run compared to the other since, in getting a fresher cold air source in the lower troposphere involved in the circulation down here.  

I just compared the runs going back some 6 cycles and every time the last wave in that series up N was slightly south, you could see ice flashing into the fray over southern Maine and NH and a flash to snow down here soon after.   They are effectively damming off the lvl cold from come south - I'm pretty confident in that under the radar factor in this thing. 

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

you need to look N at that wave train pressing east through N Maine... That run yesterday, the 18z?  That one showed a slightly farther south axis of motion, and that subtlety made a huge difference on that run compared to the other since, in getting a fresher cold air source in the lower troposphere involved in the circulation down here.  

I just compared the runs going back some 6 cycles and every time the last wave in that series up N was slightly south, you could see ice flashing into the fray over southern Maine and NH and a flash to snow down here soon after.   They are effectively damming off the lvl cold from come south - I'm pretty confident in that under the radar factor in this thing. 

We made note of that earlier.

16 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Agreed.  Great post Ginxy.

I noticed that last night too that the best runs had some crushing snows west of Chicago and lows of 996mb or lower in the Indiana/Illinois area.

Thats when it really went bowling ball style east.

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Good point Tip. Unfortunately I was hoping that little guy could be written off as a nuisance but that shortwave has been amping up in recent runs...

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Agreed.  Great post Ginxy.

I noticed that last night too that the best runs had some crushing snows west of Chicago and lows of 996mb or lower in the Indiana/Illinois area.

Because those runs had an earlier phase, right? Allowing the surface low to deepen earlier.

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We made note of that earlier.

no one is really paying homage to it now, that's the point, regardless.  Lot of hand wringing at the wrong focus - I don't care who gets "credit" for seeing stuff... but the reality of it's plausible influence on this thing is still there - so, I guess someone made note of it, everyone paused for a second, then summarily resumed the clammer over the wrong focus - okay

6 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

If my aunt had balls she would be Ginx's uncle.

I laid myself out there last night, gave it my best shot, probably will go down in a ball of flames and it is my own damn fault. My dream told beware of Jerrys damn Elephant and I ignored it. Now I have 2 hopes, some great wave watching and Ski areas up north get something.

Archived