joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-4th ... first -NAO anchored storm perhaps in years

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if allow to post this map below... but Euro seems to me to be once again chasing convection too far east with a runaway surface low... 

That plus based on best vorticity and ULL, I'd expect a low closer to coast... maybe it's 1am weenie goggles, but I have to give some weight blending in most other guidance closer to coast... the runaway low does not make sense.

Euro_0z_02_28_2018.jpg.991224739eb0f288dd992782332ab742.jpg

2 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Not sure if allow to post this map below... but Euro seems to me to be once again chasing convection too far east with a runaway surface low... 

That plus based on best vorticity and ULL, I'd expect a low closer to coast... maybe it's 1am weenie goggles, but I still have to give some weight blending in other guidance closer to coast... the runaway low does not make sense.

Euro_0z_02_28_2018.jpg.991224739eb0f288dd992782332ab742.jpg

Ya

Garbage

EPS Will be NW

We need that closed low to trend to SW PA like will said or good nite

20 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Everything ticked north, H5 looks better, definite step in the right direction from 12z

QPF only (not looking at thermals) thru hr 72:

12z had 0.2-0.4" roughly to south coast

vs.

0z has 1" roughly to MA-CT border and 0.5-0.7" roughly to MA-NH border

Anything up in ME?

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Btw

Where does 0z euro close off the 5H low first

Bc that looks like convective feedback garbage for coastal low but id like to know where 5H phased closed low position was

Yeah was just looking at that

0z: H5 closes off between 6z-12z Fri (hr54-60) over ~ central PA

12z: H5 closes off between 0z-6z Fri (hr60-66) northern OH

So tonight's run was slightly later and further east

Not sure what to make of that... GFS closed off a little more north at 6z Fri... then moves east and stalls around BM, then moves southeast from there

My biggest flag on this run is the convection far east dragging the coastal low much farther east than any other guidance including NAVGEM

Looked at Euro thermal cross-sections (not that anything verbatim is particularly useful at this point)...

Heaviest rates (which aren't really heavy) for eastern SNE are between 18z-0z Fri night... in that timeframe > 0C is limited to 925 or below... if we had heavier rates we'd be able to overcome that

17 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Today’s runs are go big or go home. 0z tonight will be narrowing the goal posts (hopefully). 

The biggest thing I noticed is that warm air at 850-ish. It doesn't seem like a block buster snow event anywhere except maybe upstate NY. At least right now. 

27 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The biggest thing I noticed is that warm air at 850-ish. It doesn't seem like a block buster snow event anywhere except maybe upstate NY. At least right now. 

Finally someone admits it isn't just BL model bias. It ain't a model issue. It's an air temperature issue.

Euro still not getting good lift into most of SNE. Maybe southwest areas. Amazing that it is still shunting things S a good deal. 

And yeah...the midlevel issues have only been real on the solutions where the late close off happens further north...previously they were not an issue. That said, there's still a path for it to flip pretty quickly, but you want that stream interaction early on and get that closed low going through ohio and PIT or south. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Euro still not getting good lift into most of SNE. Maybe southwest areas. Amazing that it is still shunting things S a good deal. 

And yeah...the midlevel issues have only been real on the solutions where the late close off happens further north...previously they were not an issue. That said, there's still a path for it to flip pretty quickly, but you want that stream interaction early on and get that closed low going through ohio and PIT or south. 

When do you think folks flip to snow? Is it Friday afternoon or night?

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Exactly.

Combination of trend in track and inensity have been towards warmer. 980’s tucked in isn’t going to cut it for most. I made the point days ago that most of SNE needs a nuke. The initial warmth due to track, closer to the coast could easily be overcome if the storm was more wrapped up earlier on. It’s still possible we trend back towards a faster phase...

But all things considered the 6z 12 km nam  snow map accurately highlights who’s in the the game for a significant snow fall despite the above. In SNE ORH and the Berks are still good for a foot. It’s 12-24”+ for SW ME, and much of NH and VT.

Archived