Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-4th ... first -NAO anchored storm perhaps in years

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Absolute nudity run for my old stomping grounds in Ithaca NY. That's how I knows it's not going to happen...lol. They are not good in synoptic systems. 

Hope they don't get a repeat of the blizzard from last March.  That storm tucked in too close for eastern areas...relative to what could've been, while they got 14.9".

18 minutes ago, Supernovice said:

Hey don't post often but....I work near rowes wharf in Boston and to see the flooding from the previous nor'easter, it was eye opening to say the least. I don't want to say it's being underplayed on here, but maybe so to the general public? do you have serious concerns given the multiple tide cycles...regardless of whether or not PF torches ha, albeit tides are what...1.5 ft lower this month in general? And a completely different storm- no hurricane type surge this time. Scott specifically seemed to think it might be an issue, any thoughts? What do the models imply as far as storm surge/ wave heights etc?

Read back a couple  pages about 730 or so, normal tides are .6 less than Jan

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Read back a couple  pages about 730 or so, normal tides are .6 less than Jan

Also I would suppose the further north the storm ends up being the less the tide threat to southern areas as the strongest winds and repeated tides get pushed more up the coast....  

26 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

No, I think it will nuke us.

I don’t know...this has pretty much defied everybody’s ideas of what may happen from run to run.

Every model has been all over with its ideas...so much for this being handeled with more stability due to the anomalous Block like was thought a couple nights back(which I happened to agree with you on because it did make synoptic sense)...but in fact it’s been just the opposite???  What a clusterf**k right now.

it would not surprise me if the Euro is still a whiff, or rain to the Canadian boarder at this point...that’s how wild the swings have been.  

45 minutes ago, Supernovice said:

Hey don't post often but....I work near rowes wharf in Boston and to see the flooding from the previous nor'easter, it was eye opening to say the least. I don't want to say it's being underplayed on here, but maybe so to the general public? do you have serious concerns given the multiple tide cycles...regardless of whether or not PF torches ha, albeit tides are what...1.5 ft lower this month in general? And a completely different storm- no hurricane type surge this time. Scott specifically seemed to think it might be an issue, any thoughts? What do the models imply as far as storm surge/ wave heights etc?

The tidal chart for Boston harbour is projecting only a difference of less than 1/2 foot (11.7' Friday am compared to 12.1' from the previous storm).  

It doesn't have to be a 949 mb low to deliver a very destructive surge...and the potential exists on just the right track, rate of deepening, and timing to conspire on delivering a surge within a foot of the January blizzard.  That said, alot is still up in the air, literally, in terms of nailing down such specific details with this setup and at this lead-time.  Eta: 36 hours...should be better able to assess the degree of severity far more accurately.  

As you and others have mentioned, the prospect of the aforementioned combined with a long duration event, over multiple tidal cycles is a most definite concern for the coast.    

EDIT: to clarify the tidal figures above reference only the normal high tide...not any expected surge or wave heights.

http://ma.usharbors.com/monthly-tides/Massachusetts-Boston Harbor%2CSouth Shore/Boston Harbor/2018-03

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

In another twist, the 3km NAM/WRF has a massive ice storm look through its run at 60 hours in central New England.  

Mid-levels torched but chilly at the surface. Lot more ice to go after this if extrapolated out.  Buries upstate NY in snow.

IMG_8651.PNG.e31c92b4b3cf8bbd9268766d8aa4de55.PNG

Those algorithms are whack, always overdone and certainly can't handle accretion or latent heat release 

46 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Jeez,  more frickin ups and downs up here.  Storm, no storm, storm, warm storm.  I have been worried I wouldn't see QPF.  Now finally into QPF and instead of a blue bomb it could just be rain all the way up here.  

This has March 2001 redux written all over it. At least in terms of anticipated Boom/Bust potential for everyone in the northeast....Buckle up, Gon be bumpy ride.

In a nutshell, a closed low over Erie region is bad for most of us...maybe parts of Maine and NNE do ok. We want to see that tracking over OH and near or south of PIT.

The trend of dragging the southern vort is going to cause later and further north closing off...which seems to be the trend at 00z tonight. The GFS is already dragging its heels through 24 hours.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

In a nutshell, a closed low over Erie region is bad for most of us...maybe parts of Maine and NNE do ok. We want to see that tracking over OH and near or south of PIT.

The trend of dragging the southern vort is going to cause later and further north closing off...which seems to be the trend at 00z tonight. The GFS is already dragging its heels through 24 hours.

Yea, its going to be a worse run than 18z....can already tell.

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

If that is real and permanent... that is the nail in the coffin for SNE 

Archived