Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
March 2-4th ... first -NAO anchored storm perhaps in years

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, sbos_wx said:

It actually moves NW from the benchmark on this GFS run.

I don't have any specific examples, but it seems we often see this several days away. 

The models tend to focus too much on the secondary's convection. The central low pressure that develops as the secondary is almost always west of these runs several days out.

Pretty much convective feedback, I guess? (I've never fully understood the exact definition of convective feedback, always been shrouded in mystery)

Convective feedback in essence is the model's attempt to reduce instability in the atmosphere. Because most global models have a grid scale that is too large to model convection directly, they must parameterize it. Poor convective parameterization can lead to runaway convection and overly active cyclogenesis. That would be convective feedback.

Good parameterization leads to a more realistic reduction in atmosphere instability, and thus reduced convective feedback.

Of course, in a sense convective feedback does occur naturally. Large areas of convection will result in lower surface pressures and changes in sub-synoptic circulation. But in the true sense, convective feedback is runaway convective processes (i.e. big QPF dumps) in the models. 

2 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Really though, these things have a certain evolution in the long range, then in the mid range that evolution changes again, and then it continues to change until we get within 2-3 days because that's when the models start to have a reasonable amount of skill. It almost never goes back to the "original" solution but that doesn't mean it can't evolve into a better solution again.

We always remember the ones that were, but just as many evolve into thin air.

Yeah, that's true, but often the ones that devolve entirely are modeled in broader regimes that don't argue for higher end outcomes. This pattern has a higher top-end threshold than normal.

1 minute ago, Hoth said:

Yeah, that's true, but often the ones that devolve entirely are modeled in broader regimes that don't argue for higher end outcomes. This pattern has a higher top-end threshold than normal.

That is true as well. Just making the point about expecting solutions to "come back" isn't realistic the majority of the time. I do, however, agree with the points being made that models, the GFS in particular, struggle with high levels of convection that can occur in scenarios like this one.

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

You positive guy, thats all. It’s a compliment.

I guess I should have been more clear earlier. 

I view run-to-run negativity as 'bridge jumping', but we're not exactly talking about a concept that has an exact definition. 

The most important concept in modeling really boils down to a few things. 

One of them being the ability to harmonize model skill, noise, climatology, analogs, and experience into one overall picture.

I'm not even saying I can do that. But cutting out negative posts tends to make for a healthier hobby. Not saying it's easy. Not saying I've mastered any of this.

4 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

I guess I should have been more clear earlier. 

I view run-to-run negativity as 'bridge jumping', but we're not exactly talking about a concept that has an exact definition. 

The most important concept in modeling really boils down to a few things. 

One of them being the ability to harmonize model skill, noise, climatology, analogs, and experience into one overall picture.

I'm not even saying I can do that. But cutting out negative posts tends to make for a healthier hobby. Not saying it's easy. Not saying I've mastered any of this.

Fair enough sir, all good. But nothing wrong with a little persona in posting. Its what makes this place more enjoyable...you learn and laugh, at the same dam time. 

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Fair enough sir, all good. But nothing wrong with a little persona in posting. Its what makes this place more enjoyable...you learn and laugh, at the same dam time. 

Precisely. It's what the other subforums lack.

Maybe I was hallucinating a bit, and my 4th 16 hour work day is getting to me... 

7 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Luckily I checked out mentally from this winter a while back. 

Just going to prepare the basement pump for the rain soaked lion to march in.

How does one prepare a basement pump?, do you talk to it and say be kind to me old boy your work load is going to get very long? 

I'm actually fairly optimistic about this one. I'm also in a decent spot on the east slopes near the pike too...but even for areas like Kevin and maybe Ginxy I'd be cautiously optimistic.

The thing to watch for is the phasing obviously, but also look out for subtle changes in the block and our big system coming ashore in the PAC NW behind this one too.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm actually fairly optimistic about this one. I'm also in a decent spot on the east slopes near the pike too...but even for areas like Kevin and maybe Ginxy I'd be cautiously optimistic.

The thing to watch for is the phasing obviously, but also look out for subtle changes in the block and our big system coming ashore in the PAC NW behind this one too.

Oh I’m very confident on a good snowstorm in the hills out of this. Sure it’ll start as rain, but the hills at least ckuid really rip. My gut says even valleys get a good fall as the ccb parks itself 

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Oh I’m very confident on a good snowstorm in the hills out of this. Sure it’ll start as rain, but the hills at least ckuid really rip. My gut says even valleys get a good fall as the ccb parks itself 

Gave up on the shunted train already? I thought you jumped back on at 12z?

Archived