• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
March 2-4th ... first -NAO anchored storm perhaps in years

Typhoon Tip

Looks like this thing flat out is missing/lost power period... 

I don't think the major players are different ... this is a system abatement issue. 

I'd be checking the initialization monitoring ...although I've noticed they often say things don't effect the model processing either way so not sure how useful those golfers are..heh

Anyway, we are sampling this ..in theory, along the WC more readily now; perhaps this was a heretofore over assimilation scenario.   

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'm strung out and done with this and getting to where I can honestly say I don't care... This is like the "Scarlet O'Hara" storm .. wore down the patience of her greatest admirer to the point where he irrecoverably couldn't stand the sight of her.  Ha...   hopefully the WC names it accordingly - that would be awesome..

7 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

It may sound weeniesh :weenie: but with the super - AO/ -NAO one should really hedge in favor of phasing wherever possible. The teleconnections argue for a bowling ball. To my mind, if we have the amped disturbances in the plains ,they phase; similar to yesterday's 12z runs...

The general correction perhaps ... but one can't discount the case-by-case look of things either.  Sometimes anomalies relative to anomalies also take place.  

In this case... the NAO block, from what I can tell, may as well not even exist for this thing as these runs have it.  Particularly the Euro? What a judas run..  It's really disconnecting the NAO from the mid latitude westerlies almost entirely... I'm not here to say that is right or wrong, but if things worked out the way that model's NAO handling has it through Saturday? ... it doesn't surprise me this thing moves so quickly by because there's just plain not much out there to stop it, on this run..

I mean there's more than one thing wrong with this run that is dismantling the previous appeal of this thing.. other guidance too.  That with the NAO plus the system it's self appear weaker ..just pallid by comparison.  Not sure where those kinematic strengths evaporated.. But, it's weaker, AND, we've lost the blocking influence to slow it down... 

It's really a couple of back stabs here...

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I think I'm strung out and done with this and getting to where I can honestly say I don't care... This is like the "Scarlet O'Hara" storm .. wore down the patience of her greatest admirer to the point where he irrecoverably couldn't stand the sight of her.  Ha...   hopefully the WC names it accordingly - that would be awesome..

Whew man Feb 2013 must had you on the edge. think you would know by now this happens a lot more than not.

1 hour ago, wxsniss said:

Tip... I've been harping on the speed of the southwest shortwave and subsequent phasing with northern stream energy as the most critical variable for days. Lost in all the verbatim model hugging.

And also posted yesterday the (not surprising) correlation on individual ensemble members of surface depth with latitude exiting the coast.

Not worried by 12z suite. In fact, for SNE, I like where we sit at the moment. All it takes is better timing of southwest shortwave and we are back in business. That phasing happens around 72 hours from now, so plenty of time to fluctuate.

Me?  okay - 

A lot gets said by people.. .both whom spend a lot of time, or do 'drive-by-postings' so it's possible I didn't see what you may have contributed. That said, I wouldn't take it personally if no one acknowledged your insights back whence.  Must of us presciently dazzle to no one on here from time to time.  ;)  too many people... 

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Looks like this thing flat out is missing/lost power period... 

I don't think the major players are different ... this is a system abatement issue. 

I'd be checking the initialization monitoring ...although I've noticed they often say things don't effect the model processing either way so not sure how useful those golfers are..heh

Anyway, we are sampling this ..in theory, along the WC more readily now; perhaps this was a heretofore over assimilation scenario.   

0z Eps members had a bunch of whiffs or minor impact events. I’m treating the 12z op as another member. 

20 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The weaker solutions are SE.. the stronger are north. Safe to say by this look why the op runs went SE. They weaker. Illustrates Will’s point earlier.

Can see why you toss the ops 

cPcZrIY.jpg

Eh, those are pretty SE. I wouldn't call 966 or 972 weak.

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The general correction perhaps ... but one can't discount the case-by-case look of things either.  Sometimes anomalies relative to anomalies also take place.  

In this case... the NAO block, from what I can tell, may as well not even exist for this thing as these runs have it.  Particularly the Euro? What a judas run..  It's really disconnecting the NAO from the mid latitude westerlies almost entirely... I'm not here to say that is right or wrong, but if things worked out the way that model's NAO handling has it through Saturday? ... it doesn't surprise me this thing moves so quickly by because there's just plain not much out there to stop it, on this run..

I mean there's more than one thing wrong with this run that is dismantling the previous appeal of this thing.. other guidance too.  That with the NAO plus the system it's self appear weaker ..just pallid by comparison.  Not sure where those kinematic strengths evaporated.. But, it's weaker, AND, we've lost the blocking influence to slow it down... 

It's really a couple of back stabs here...

I think it's pretty clear that the weakened appeal of the system is directly related to the lack of phasing. The jet maxes don't amp up as much without the phase and then the whole chain reaction down the line of weaker dynamics....fronto/deepening/etc.

13 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

0z Eps members had a bunch of whiffs or minor impact events. I’m treating the 12z op as another member. 

Here is the thing, you can go through all 50 members and find the one to your liking, Bobalouie likes the whiffs, others like the jack. The variance is wide as it usually is at this time frame. I'll Take this one for now, others might like the other kind

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2018022612_111_519_215_m30.png

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2018022612_111_519_215_m24.png

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Here is the thing, you can go through all 50 members and find the one to your liking, Bobalouie likes the whiffs, others like the jack. The variance is wide as it usually is at this time frame. I'll Take this one for now, others might like the other kind

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2018022612_111_519_215_m30.png

At this point, this would be the minimum sized snowstorm I'd get behind.

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

You might as well go for the Gold , who wants a bronze at this stage

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2018022612_240_519_215_m40.png

It's funny because the weatherbell #s are completely different. It may just be how they are numbering them and where they start off. Because E#40 on weatherbell shows nothing but #41 shows a massive hit. 

The weather.us site starts off as 1st member but wxbell shows control and #2-51

18 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

You can always weenie out with ENS members , #40 gives ORH a 3 foot depth by day ten. Not the end all, lets see a tight cluster then we can really start using them

Just if you want to look at QPF output from the different ensembles for the storm, you can get a pretty darn good idea for what they would show.

The snow algorithms seem all messed up so hard to go by the snow data.

The 50 EPS members storm total precip.  Plenty of hits and plenty of whiffs.

PUvhoMJ.png

LFPjgBO.png

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Just if you want to look at QPF output from the different ensembles for the storm, you can get a pretty darn good idea for what they would show.

Funny that matches my rough numbers in my posts with Chris about the ensemble distribution...I counted about 17 members that give >1" of qpf to pike region, which is about 1/3rd of the ensembles. The other 2/3rds were pretty clustered tightly to the OP on the height spaghetti plots.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The deep easterly flow usually has me hedge some precip vs. none. Like you guys in WNW flow.

Archived