joxey
March 2-4th ... first -NAO anchored storm perhaps in years

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

"MAP" discussion?

I believe it started as a literal map discussion at Albany, and has now migrated to email where red taggers weenie out. Sometimes the discussions go over my head, and sometimes it's just gee whiz information, but more often than not it's just discussing evolving US weather and extreme world events.

LOL...  Lots of moving parts... If the n-stream avoids insertion, yet the NAO is handled wrongly and this thing stalls because of the block, you almost achieve the same dire complexion of events with tides due to duration .. so ...it's probably important to get that part of this equation nailed down either way.  I don't f around flooding - that's the big one in terms of threat assessing.

As far as p-type, everyone wants to hear inches... and these marginal systems..  I got go with climo on +1 C at mid range and figure that ends up -.5 C with said hammer stuff from last night.  But if more n-stream sneakily gets in there... you're talking a dynamical juggernaut re-invented in future runs...   Yet, the third scenario, the NAO is poorly handled, and regardless ...this gets the squish and suppress too far S... the present GFS rendition. 

Ever since the GFS saw that potential on the 18z yesterday it's like been deliberately going out of its way to figure out how not to have to do that - haha.  

My hunch is the Euro hold serve here in a couple hours. And then, both the mood aura in here brightens with the surge of new found hope ... or, if it come in (off chance at 4.5 days from 00z last night!) with some disorganized suppression as well, than we concede to a red herring NAO delusion - not like we haven't had to deal with those in recent years, huh. 

I don't think that will happen... but we'll see. 

Just now, OceanStWx said:

I just gave it a once over with the overnight NCEP guidance. A good deal of the variance is explained by higher pressures just south of SNE (so a bad solution for winter weenies). This doesn't mean it is more likely, it just means that this is where a lot of ensemble uncertainty lies, but we also want to see the opposite height pattern occur that forces those higher pressures.

That upper level pattern doesn't develop for at least another 24 hours, and as you might expect: stronger ridging through NE Canada, and a weaker wave lead to higher pressures south of SNE.

It almost looks as if the sensitivity is suggesting we want to the parent wave to really dig, pump heights up ahead of it, which would counter balance the NAO and lead to a closer approach.

Thanks for this.  Would explain why I liked the GFS initially.  The lead s/w has always been too far north for my liking. Things just never came together tough on this run.

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

LOL...  Lots of moving parts... If the n-stream avoids insertion, yet the NAO is handled wrongly and this thing stalls because of the block, you almost achieve the same dire complexion of events with tides due to duration .. so ...it's probably important to get that part of this equation nailed down either way.  I don't f around flooding - that's the big one in terms of threat assessing.

As far as p-type, everyone wants to hear inches... and these marginal systems..  I got go with climo on +1 C at mid range and figure that ends up -.5 C with said hammer stuff from last night.  But if more n-stream sneakily gets in there... you're talking a dynamical juggernaut re-invented in future runs...   Yet, the third scenario, the NAO is poorly handled, and regardless ...this gets the squish and suppress too far S... the present GFS rendition. 

Ever since the GFS saw that potential on the 18z yesterday it's like been deliberately going out of its way to figure out how not to have to do that - haha.  

My hunch is the Euro hold serve here in a couple hours. And then, both the mood aura in here brightens with the surge of new found hope ... or, if it come in (off chance at 4.5 days from 00z last night!) with some disorganized suppression as well, than we concede to a red herring NAO delusion - not like we haven't had to deal with those in recent years, huh. 

I don't think that will happen... but we'll see. 

Agreed.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I just want him to go back all-in on the shunt idea and then be forced to try and sell it when the guidance comes back north/phased.

You can see how he's trying to practice reverse psychology on the models. When the 00z suite ticks north again, this will all have been part of his plan.

Archived