Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-4th ... first -NAO anchored storm perhaps in years

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Matches the timing I had in that storm. I was in high school and remember it absolutely pouring outside the first period...during 2md period around 10am I remember all of the sudden looking outside where not 5 minutes earlier it was pouring to see massive parachutes falling with almost zero vis. Accumulated instantly. I had to change buildings for my next class between 2nd and 3rd period. I was happy I had the excuse to go outside. We had already accumulated a greasy 1-2" of slush by the time I went out there. During dismissal a few hours later, we had a vivid flash of lighting and loud thunder. 

Ditto. I don't have the steel trap memory of others on the board, but I do remember pouring rain in the morning followed by a flip to heavy snow and an early release when everyone realized the mistake of sending kids to school in the first place.

Just now, NorEastermass128 said:

What's preventing this from coming N?  Sloppy/non-phase?  Confluence?  I'm guessing both are highly correctable on a D4 GFS depiction.  Slow the bridge jumping.

Yeah it's not getting a nice phase with plains s/w. Block is a little stronger too.

Just now, dendrite said:

Any nuggets to offer on the ensemble sensitivity?

I just gave it a once over with the overnight NCEP guidance. A good deal of the variance is explained by higher pressures just south of SNE (so a bad solution for winter weenies). This doesn't mean it is more likely, it just means that this is where a lot of ensemble uncertainty lies, but we also want to see the opposite height pattern occur that forces those higher pressures.

That upper level pattern doesn't develop for at least another 24 hours, and as you might expect: stronger ridging through NE Canada, and a weaker wave lead to higher pressures south of SNE.

It almost looks as if the sensitivity is suggesting we want to the parent wave to really dig, pump heights up ahead of it, which would counter balance the NAO and lead to a closer approach.

Archived