Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-4th ... first -NAO anchored storm perhaps in years

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The cips analogs are pretty fun. 4/1/97, 3/5/01, 3/7/13 are all in there, lol. 

Anyways, I wouldn't worry so much about the oscillations. We saw an even further south run in the previous 00z run before it wildly swung back north at 12z. The synoptic setup is largely the same. Down here, we prob want it a little south anyway...beware the surge north late in the game. 

I remember 4/1/97 sitting at Lungren Honda in Auburn Ma buying my first car and its heavy rain at 9am and heavy snow by 10am with 2-3" on the ground.  Couldnt believe i had to make the Rt 20 drive in my new car in all this snow.  Great storm!

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Did guidance show 4/97 or was it marginal and dynamic cooling took over.

Guidance had it...forecast was even for 6-12" pretty close into Boston the night before. The duration and intensity was underestimated though, which also led to an earlier flip than originally forecast. 

Typically the firehose storms have tended to be underforecast for amounts in my experience. Doesn't mean this one will too...we still need to actually get into the max zone of easterly flow...but it is something to keep in mind. 

12 minutes ago, Modfan said:

I remember 4/1/97 sitting at Lungren Honda in Auburn Ma buying my first car and its heavy rain at 9am and heavy snow by 10am with 2-3" on the ground.  Couldnt believe i had to make the Rt 20 drive in my new car in all this snow.  Great storm!

Matches the timing I had in that storm. I was in high school and remember it absolutely pouring outside the first period...during 2md period around 10am I remember all of the sudden looking outside where not 5 minutes earlier it was pouring to see massive parachutes falling with almost zero vis. Accumulated instantly. I had to change buildings for my next class between 2nd and 3rd period. I was happy I had the excuse to go outside. We had already accumulated a greasy 1-2" of slush by the time I went out there. During dismissal a few hours later, we had a vivid flash of lighting and loud thunder. 

8 hours ago, wxsniss said:

SW shortwave lags, later northern stream interaction, more time for blocking to retrograde, and system exits the coast further south on 0z Gfs

Timing of the shortwave ejecting / interaction with northern stream is consistently one of the more critical variables

Treating this run like just another ensemble member this far out, and I do think this is still a realistic but less likely outcome

Not really that hard to grasp, You can just sit and compare H5 maps of the current and previous run and get a pretty good idea where its going to go by looking at 3 features.

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I liked the cooler look. qpf will follow. 

Another day another solution, interesting to me is the increased speed of evolution, what was a 2-3 day onslaught has trended pretty quickly to a 18-24 hr period. The big ones slow, capture and stall. All modeling last night moved it out quicker, maybe a trend but we are inside the 96 hr time frame today so we will see starting at 12Z wassup

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Too many people looking at clown maps these days. GFS is woefully bad in the lowest levels but we can toss it...huge T/TD spreads. 

I may be stating the Meteorological obvious here ... but, it seems that may be the entire cause for it's bullishly warm bias in the lowest critical thickness ...which is probably just BL for all intents and purposes.  Basically, someone left the hygroscopic physics modules out of the algorithm when they pulled all the pieces together off the drafting lab ...

Kidding of course, but it really seems its inability to saturate causing it to miss a ton of thermal sink that it needs to have in order to properly process what is going on in a CCB/comma head.  It's literally like it is missing the hygroscopics entirely - fascinating.  

Anyway, folks - ... the appreciable difference between the 'panache' of the 18z run and the overnight versions, is that the 18z run yesterday had a critical interval ( I think it was 48 hours.. actually 74 to 84) where it plunked in a dose of n-stream phasing as this system was entering the western OV... That then trundled on to deepening the entire vertical structure of the cyclone substantially.  I'm actually a little surprised no on picked up on that.. ?  

The 00z/06z version are still deep, but not in the 522 dm range like the predecessor run.  Which, the GGEM has been fairly consistent in doing, by the way... although it too backed off a little on that at 00z (perhaps half..).  

I think that is a critical piece to this eventual puzzle. Otherwise, we care cobbling together a different sort of affair.  Either solution is probably a tide/CF thread given the lunar stuff, but, obviously a deeper system is slower and therefore .. amply more impacting in that regard.  That is also going to be true in the QPF of course, but also...ptype. That gulp in of n-mechanics would feed back in taking some sounding points critically over the edge or not. 

The Euro's been consistent.. it's hard to tell given the grainy freebie charts what's going on with stream interactions and so forth at that discrete of a level... but, just the complexion of what is there, it looks like it's held reasonable serve with starting out too warm everywhere for snow at 96 hours, and then sending the entire region through a dynamical juggernaut that [probably] has some heavy snows in the mid/latter half of the system.

One thing that I am also noticing about the entire technology ambit is that the handling of this thing's entire translation has sped up (a little) in this run. That may come down to correctly modulating how the retrograding NAO truly effects the circulation medium everywhere from Ohio to SE of NS for that matter... The previous cycle allowed for perhaps a 12 hour slower total displacement... That's a significant amount of time being lost on this 00z run for direct impact within the cyclone's envelope of course... 

Just some office chair QBing this morning.  That, and mm, my personal opinion is that the overnight runs were impressive.  I think there may be a tendency to always need more ...to extend the high/drug's impact that much more fevered in pitch.  How do you top the 18z run's blend with the 12z Euro's ? ... that's going to be tough.. and, logically it may just simply be that the next run was probability favored for less because we were getting to a point where there is only one way to go... I'm sure there is some storm in the last ... 1,000,000 yrs of eastern North America's history that is the king snow god of all storms... surpassing even 1888...etc...but, the return rate on that is so low that it may not ever return for one, but also prooobably isn't this thing. Not criticizing here, it's just that this 00z run was better than the previous if one is willing to look farther back than the apex thriller state of aura in here ...circa 6pm last evening.

Same old story as with any system...One or two runs go wild and show a Monster, and many go bazerk with what it might be..jackpot zones are called five days out lol and so on and so on.  

Then the models go through their same old thing where they weaken the output to nothing all that great, and it brings many back down to earth and then the process repeats again as the models sample the energy and the real story begins to emerge.  

a good possibility this isn't the blockbuster some were thinking....that too is in the realm of possible solutions.   Steady as she goes...Patience GH's right Gynx.

Archived