Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-4th ... first -NAO anchored storm perhaps in years

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Another day another solution, interesting to me is the increased speed of evolution, what was a 2-3 day onslaught has trended pretty quickly to a 18-24 hr period. The big ones slow, capture and stall. All modeling last night moved it out quicker, maybe a trend but we are inside the 96 hr time frame today so we will see starting at 12Z wassup

Yea. It still could be a 36hr storm just that 24hrs of it is liquid lol.

There's a small low that's ejected through the Lakes into NNE that stalls in N. Maine ..probably instructed to do so by the impinging retrograde -NAO blocking at that time... However, that feature is helping to warm the region beneath it and is also blocking llv cold from working more readily in via the +PP that's situated over Ontario.  

Not sure if that is correct-able or not but... or if the other models are doing something similar. Just something I noticed about the NAM

20 hours ago, dryslot said:

Also noticed up here any ways as some pre with a weak s/w in the northern stream that moves thru here ahead of that main system, Euro has had that a few runs now.

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

There's a small low that's ejected through the Lakes into NNE that stalls in N. Maine ..probably instructed to do so by the impinging retrograde -NAO blocking at that time... However, that feature is helping to warm the region beneath it and is also blocking llv cold from working more readily in via the +PP that's situated over Ontario.  

Not sure if that is correct-able or not but... or if the other models are doing something similar. Just something I noticed about the NAM

Noted yesterday, Its been on the Euro.

A little OT, but it appears that the cold is stuck on the other side of the world (EU) right now.  Just got a message from my cousin in England saying that they are prepping for a snowy week in London...just checked and it looks pretty chilly (by London standards) this week.  We only need "cold enough" to get snow in New England in March though...

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, that wasn't a very good post on my part.

While I don't think the central pressure needs to below 970mb for a sne blitz, deeper solutions are needed in general.

I'd only argue that the deeper solutions are needed for the largest scale solutions.  We are dealing with a marginal atmosphere to begin with so we will be relying on dynamic cooling to provide the cold source.  And obviously the further north you are the better off you are when it comes to achieving this.  

41 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

The NAM has surface temps in the 50s in the lower valley Thursday night.

I remember on March 30, 1997, it was in the low to mid 50s still at sunset. I was thinking how weird that was for an impending snowstorm the next day.

The key is obviously getting an upper level system that is at least somewhat analogous. Weak dynamics won't get it done.

Just now, NorEastermass128 said:

Right where we want it...before the last minute ticks north.

I'll admit I was slightly worried a couple days ago when the GFS was pretty far north...now it feels more classic. GFS less phased and southeast is the comfort zone 4 days before a biggie. :lol:

Archived