joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weekend Snowfest/Rainfest/Mixed Mess?

showmethesnow

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 12z Swiss model is similar to its 06z run.  It gives widespread snow, but surface temps are questionable except for northern areas and higher elevations.  It pickes up on a stripe of relatively heavy snow between Roanoke and Lynchburg that I don't think any other model has.  Snow depth maps suggest elevation will be a big factor in accumulations.  I don't know how accurate this is, but I'm looking foward to the day when we have more high-resolution models.  The level of detail on this map is awesome.

WUeaRSI.png

That's my backyard, but you can get your own maps here.

https://weather.us/model-charts/virginia

4 minutes ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

Yikes. The 3K NAM is subforum divider. This one is gonna be nerve-racking for many :yikes:

Borderline temp storms always are.  This event screams T-0.5" for DCA while mappy and Hoffman talk about puking snow missiles.  Elevation will make a huge difference.  If I had to put numbers down right now I'd go with something like this:

DCA: t-0.5"

DC and inside 495: 0.5-1.5"

Baltimore/BWI: 1-3"

MoCo/HoCo near 95/495: 1.5-3.5"

Loudon/Frederick/Carroll/Bmore county/Harford: 3-6"

2 minutes ago, yoda said:

I know... I was just saying it goes snow to sleet to an hour of rain then back to snow at DCA... that just looks weird

Oh for sure...wasn’t saying you didn’t...the warm layers are small so maybe we can stay heavy enough to avoid flipping 

5 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Borderline temp storms always are.  This event screams T-0.5" for DCA while mappy and Hoffman talk about puking snow missiles.  Elevation will make a huge difference.  If I had to put numbers down right now I'd go with something like this:

Which one of these does fairfax co fall into? My previous post got removed somehow. Anyway, this seems like the areas that typically do well will do well. 

1 minute ago, Amped said:

Wind streamlines look much better than 12z. You can see a bit of a cold tuck on this run where 12z just had a SE wind.

Wind speed up top and at ground level could be the deciding factor for this storm.  If the ground level winds are light and/or out of the east northeast I don't think we will lose the surface.

The 850's are what to watch for snow but I think we will have frozen something falling Saturday night.  The weenie in me says mostly snow until you get South of Fredericksburg.

4 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

Wind speed up top and at ground level could be the deciding factor for this storm.  If the ground level winds are light and/or out of the east northeast I don't think we will lose the surface.

The 850's are what to watch for snow but I think we will have frozen something falling Saturday night.  The weenie in me says mostly snow until you get South of Fredericksburg.

Exactly, a warm layer aloft very possible southeast of 95.  Could be sleet issues. Even up this way I'm not 100% convinced.

You and I are on the same page here. Good stuff. Def favored climo spots vs 95 areas.

1 hour ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

Yikes. The 3K NAM is subforum divider. This one is gonna be nerve-racking for many :yikes:

Whenever anyone brings up "marginal temps" or "rates will have to overcome" I know Arlington is gonna get screwed. I keep telling myself that I should move elsewhere.

Just rooting for the rest of this subforum at this point (and maybe praying for for a wee miracle.)

3 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

LWX sure seems to be leaning that way also.  Going with 1-2" north of I-70 in their afternoon discussion.  Though they did nudge this product up a bit with the p.m. update, it's still a WWA call.

image.thumb.png.0aa63f9a01653d7e883eb91eb84d0559.png

Makes sense at this point to play it safe. Nothing screaming shutout or WSW event, so low numbers are the way to go right now. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived