Newest Member
    joxey
Weekend Snowfest/Rainfest/Mixed Mess?

showmethesnow

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, it's an absolute textbook pasting type of deal for upper moco/parrs/northern tier. We've seen many like this. Early Dec 2013 comes to mind among others. 

I liked seeing the 3k come in like a wall. That's what we need. Evap cooling/wetbulbing etc to get the column right and then it can fight back instead of fight to get right. IF (skyscraper sized if) WAA just rolls in and starts dropping white missiles and parachutes then closer in could do well before problems arise. If it comes in tepid with a bunch of non-sticking snow before the southerly push in the mids starts winning then I'm fooked. lol. 

the dec 13 one was fun.  i have some pics of that as i went chasing a bit to gburg/germantown.  it was a blizzard for an hour or two with road stickage, but not much down by the lowlands aka bethesda.

13 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm keeping it low key. 2-3" seems like a reasonable # for my yard and that's hedging on the optimistic side. If I crack 3" then it's a pretty big victory honestly. This isn't a cold smoke powder bomb and daytime onset will probably waste the first inch unless it comes in strong. We've had enough of these types of events over the last 10 years to set expectations accordingly. Ultimately, I just want to rule our all rain or no precip. Very close to doing that. Prob by 0z tonight calls like that can be made. 

well damn, if you think 2-3" for you is reasonable then I'm pretty close to warning level snow. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, it's an absolute textbook pasting type of deal for upper moco/parrs/northern tier. We've seen many like this. Early Dec 2013 comes to mind among others. 

I liked seeing the 3k come in like a wall. That's what we need. Evap cooling/wetbulbing etc to get the column right and then it can fight back instead of fight to get right. IF (skyscraper sized if) WAA just rolls in and starts dropping white missiles and parachutes then closer in could do well before problems arise. If it comes in tepid with a bunch of non-sticking snow before the southerly push in the mids starts winning then I'm fooked. lol. 

Agreed on all front. I'm busy as anything at work, but I want to look at the soundings in the area on Bufkit to get an idea on what models are seeing in terms of thermals and ratios. I'd bet money that if the precip comes in hot, we could see a few inches for many before any concerns. I'd love to be able to head up to Losetoa and PSU-land. Those areas in the northern hills look prime for a nice paste bomb if we can get the precip. 

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

well damn, if you think 2-3" for you is reasonable then I'm pretty close to warning level snow. 

Your only issue is precip shield imho. The stripe is pretty narrow. My gut says that you get pasted but if the heavies stay east then that's probably the only thing to cut down your totals. I'm like 95% sure you're going to be all snow for the bulk of if not all of the precip that falls. 

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I think that’s absolutely in play for you.

Thanks. I have been keeping my expectations tempered since the models haven't quite being consistent on temp/amounts. I will happily take whatever falls of course, but a warning level event would be nice. I've seen people mention the early Dec 2013 snow and I did pretty damn well in that event (7"). 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

You're only issue is precip shield imho. The stripe is pretty narrow. My gut says that you get pasted but if the heavies stay east then that's probably the only thing to cut down your totals. I'm like 95% sure you're going to be all snow for the bulk of if not all of the precip that falls. 

Fair assessment. I need 0.8" to beat last years 12.5", anything more than that is a bonus IMO. 

7 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Agreed on all front. I'm busy as anything at work, but I want to look at the soundings in the area on Bufkit to get an idea on what models are seeing in terms of thermals and ratios. I'd bet money that if the precip comes in hot, we could see a few inches for many before any concerns. I'd love to be able to head up to Losetoa and PSU-land. Those areas in the northern hills look prime for a nice paste bomb if we can get the precip. 

If you ever do come up let me know. Visitors are welcome. Also Christmas Tree Park in Manchester is a great spot. It's up on top of a ridge at about 1,080 feet and usually does very well and some nice scenery including a short trail through the woods and around a lake. 

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It's so close with temps. But assuming the layer is exactly isothermal at 32 it could be a good front end thump. 

Ninjad by @Bob Chill

yea it's dicey with temps. But euro runs warm right. So take euro qpf and 3k nam temps and boom

Through 0z looks good for snow then things go a little haywire. 850's up to +3 by 6z along the corridor. Precip is mostly done by then so what happens between 0-6z makes or breaks it. My 2-3" call is optimistic but probable on the euro. Not much room to wiggle anymore. That's for sure. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Decent run but not a fan of the mid levels rotting so quick. Definitely a mixed event for most. 

It even changes to rain up here. Nice thump first but first time anything showed mixing up here. It's almost identical with qpf but it's warmer. Only takes a 2 degree difference when it's so borderline. 

IMG_4133.thumb.PNG.b6eb99dacf7f35e4b476908a21cfc692.PNG

IMG_4132.thumb.PNG.99660e27096c4d4eaea2141610a72a37.PNG

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

If you ever do come up let me know. Visitors are welcome. Also Christmas Tree Park in Manchester is a great spot. It's up on top of a ridge at about 1,080 feet and usually does very well and some nice scenery including a short trail through the woods and around a lake. 

Thanks PSU. I have to work during this event, but I want to visit up there and take in the scenery sometime. Go hiking and visit the local parks. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Through 0z looks good for snow then things go a little haywire. 850's up to +3 by 6z along the corridor. Precip is mostly done by then so what happens between 0-6z makes or breaks it. My 2-3" call is optimistic but probably on the euro. Not much room to wiggle anymore. That's for sure. 

do you know what time window the precip is supposed to begin?  is it an afternoon deal?

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived