• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Ji said:
11 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:
Ukie definitely amped compared to Gfs..precip map not out yet

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Edit ..Here's 72
P1_GZ_D5_PN_072_0000.gif&key=f18eb67b664addc0106519309f289034b5588dd4f67b991f08e216020966f110

Good sign. I really want euro to be right. I want to have faith in model again

You know I think part of the problem is higher expectations. The mystique of the euro was in a time when just getting close was a win. For instance one of the greatest euro wins the 1996 HECS when I went back and read a blog that analyzed each model run the 7 days leading up to the storm even the euro greatly underestimated how far north, tucked in, and amplified it would be. And the euro had a hiccup run like day 4/5 where it shifted south. But it was closer and hinted at a big coastal and so that was a win. 

Today with it run twice a day and us analyzing every detail of the run we would say it was crap. I am annoyed that with the higher resolution the models all seem a bit more jumpy. Especially the euro. And with all the updates the biases are less predictable. I used to be better at predicting how a model would trend. That's harder now. But overall they are better we just expect a lot more. 

You know I think part of the problem is higher expectations. The mystique of the euro was in a time when just getting close was a win. For instance one of the greatest euro wins the 1996 HECS when I went back and read a blog that analyzed each model run the 7 days leading up to the storm even the euro greatly underestimated how far north, tucked in, and amplified it would be. And the euro had a hiccup run like day 4/5 where it shifted south. But it was closer and hinted at a big coastal and so that was a win. 

Today with it run twice a day and us analyzing every detail of the run we would say it was crap. I am annoyed that with the higher resolution the models all seem a bit more jumpy. Especially the euro. And with all the updates the biases are less predictable. I used to be better at predicting how a model would trend. That's harder now. But overall they are better we just expect a lot more. 

I wonder if the euro actually ran twice a day back in the day but it was never published because they didn't want people to question its consistency. Back in the day...the rule was if euro showed it 3 times in a row....it was a lock. And it only ran to day 7

The control run on the 00z GEPS is a good hit (similar to the op) but it's also the best member of the ensemble.  There are still a few left that shut out nearly the entire region. 

The RGEM ensemble is beginning to come into range.  This is through 72 hours - there's more to come after this.

u8jN1LI.png

3 minutes ago, Interstate said:

Here is a better depiction of what would be on the ground for with the CMC.  I know it is not what everyone wants to see.

Thanks.  Looks like the CMC and ICON are in general agreement for about 1-3" around most of the region.

Not bad storm for DC Northward. Kuchera Says 2-3" for DC, 10:1 says 4-6, so I'm not sure what's going on there. Certainly isn't 5:1 ratio, and is probably taking into account transition to mix, but it's still weird. I'm assuming a blend of the GFS/Euro would be ideal lol

All smiles here. 

3 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Not bad storm for DC Northward. Kuchera Says 2-3" for DC, 10:1 says 4-6, so I'm not sure what's going on there. Certainly isn't 5:1 ratio, and is probably taking into account transition to mix, but it's still weird. I'm assuming a blend of the GFS/Euro would be ideal lol

All smiles here. 

Surface is warmer. 32 line further north. Nice front end thump before mix problems. NW stays all snow no problem. Similar idea to 12z just a little warmer and a little less precip. Makes sense because 12z was top end so this was a pull back but still a nice event. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Surface is warmer. 32 line further north. Nice front end thump before mix problems. NW stays all snow no problem. Similar idea to 12z just a little warmer and a little less precip. Makes sense because 12z was top end so this was a pull back but still a nice event. 

12z was little longer of an event also.  Not by a ton but 3 hours or so makes a difference.

Sign me up for this run please. I'd cash in and call it a day..lol

9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Just glad it kept its look. No evident move to GFS or even (lol) the NAVGEM. Basically similar, just a bit warm and less wet. Not bad. 

6 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

12z was little longer of an event also.  Not by a ton but 3 hours or so makes a difference.

Sign me up for this run please. I'd cash in and call it a day..lol

Yea, I'm pretty snow starved at this point. Watching snow roll in on radar and then a couple inches before I have to worry about mixing would be a very welcome event. Euro is at 72 hours now. It failed us earlier this year inside of 72 but it's had a similar solution for 3 straight runs. That's  noteworthy. The gfs hasn't had a back to back similar solution yet. Lol

Yea, I'm pretty snow starved at this point. Watching snow roll in on radar and then a couple inches before I have to worry about mixing would be a very welcome event. Euro is at 72 hours now. It failed us earlier this year inside of 72 but it's had a similar solution for 3 straight runs. That's  noteworthy. The gfs hasn't had a back to back similar solution yet. Lol

the euro.00z runs have been dry. 12z wet

2 minutes ago, Ji said:
59 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

00z runs have been dry. 12z wet per euro

Yeah they're drier, but...hey, we gotta take every flake we can get, lol Yes, the jucier QPF earlier was tantalizing...but perhaps that was the top end. I just don't want the Euro to get any drier or warmer (because then the GFS...mercy)

The latest from LWX:

An upper shortwave diving towards the Gulf of Mexico will be
deflected by a strong subtropical ridge, causing it to veer instead
towards the Mid-Atlantic. Surface low pressure likely develops over
the Tennessee Valley and heads offshore of the Outer Banks of North
Carolina by day`s end. Cold air will be in place only briefly, so
expect precipitation to start as snow or a snow/sleet mix from SW to
NE Saturday midday/afternoon, then change to a mix of rain/sleet and
possibly freezing rain. Snow and sleet accumulations should be
limited with poor snow-to-liquid ratios (generally an inch or less,
except 1-3 for higher elevations and along the Mason-Dixon line).
However, this combined with the potential for light icing from
patchy freezing rain Saturday evening could still result in slippery
travel. The mitigating factor will be warm ground temperatures from
several mild days preceding this event.

Precipitation should end quickly after midnight as low pressure
speeds out to sea. Winds look pretty light late Saturday night, and
with temperatures below freezing any residual moisture on the ground
will likely turn to ice on untreated surfaces.

NAM is still out of it's comfort zone so I am not going to break it down but I do know people are curious about the snowfall. Here is the snowfall @ 10 to 1 for 06Z. Snowfall has shifted slightly NW. Have included the positive depth map as well (Kuchera not available) to hopefully offset the more worldly of us that want to keep reminding us that the 10 to 1 is bunk. :) Personally find the positive depth map useless around the rain/snow line and/or marginal temp profiles. Also has snow compaction which gives lesser amounts then what would be measured boarded. So pick your poison. 

NAM10to1.gif.549e0472fd118a3a8104b513fccf3cce.gif

NAMposdepth.gif.1b65ef8278f89d1515b60e1f62f1402e.gif

21 minutes ago, arlwx said:

The latest from LWX:

An upper shortwave diving towards the Gulf of Mexico will be
deflected by a strong subtropical ridge, causing it to veer instead
towards the Mid-Atlantic. Surface low pressure likely develops over
the Tennessee Valley and heads offshore of the Outer Banks of North
Carolina by day`s end. Cold air will be in place only briefly, so
expect precipitation to start as snow or a snow/sleet mix from SW to
NE Saturday midday/afternoon, then change to a mix of rain/sleet and
possibly freezing rain. Snow and sleet accumulations should be
limited with poor snow-to-liquid ratios (generally an inch or less,
except 1-3 for higher elevations and along the Mason-Dixon line).
However, this combined with the potential for light icing from
patchy freezing rain Saturday evening could still result in slippery
travel. The mitigating factor will be warm ground temperatures from
several mild days preceding this event.

Precipitation should end quickly after midnight as low pressure
speeds out to sea. Winds look pretty light late Saturday night, and
with temperatures below freezing any residual moisture on the ground
will likely turn to ice on untreated surfaces.

Seems to favor the GFS over the EPS at this time. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived