joxey
Weekend Snowfest/Rainfest/Mixed Mess?

showmethesnow

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Where do you get that?

You can see the RGEM meteogram out to 72 hours on meteocentre.  Getting maps is a little trickier.  Look at the RGEM accumulation map on meteocentre, get the URL of the image, and change the "48" to "60", "72", or "84".  I.e. change

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/gemreg_amer_qc_00/accum/SN_060-048_0000.gif

to

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/gemreg_amer_qc_00/accum/SN_060-084_0000.gif

1 minute ago, Interstate said:

Can we please spot looking at the 10:1 ratio snow maps. The ratio will be less then that. I would say the CMC would product 4 inches at most and most likely 3

There is no other snow map for the GGEM besides a 10:1 map... so yeah.  Besides, it's a quick mashed potatoes storm

4 minutes ago, Interstate said:

Can we please spot looking at the 10:1 ratio snow maps. The ratio will be less then that. I would say the CMC would product 4 inches at most and most likely 3

Just use it as a guide for qpf as snow and make up your own ratios that you believe are correct. CMC has .5 qpf in my yard as snow. I'll go 3" and move on to the euro. 

9 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:

Then the pattern has truly shifted in our favor. We’ve seen this all year, I bet they fold.

The Euro rarely Fs up on this type of system.  I would be shocked if the GFS wins this one.  I think this is going to be a big one to be honest...just a feeling, but its going to be strictly a 95 east storm

4 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Hmmm, the GGEM trended ever so slightly towards the gfs at h5 and shifted the snow axis South but because it shows a hit I suppose nobody is talking about the general trend?

The ICON trended north and west...so it offsets the GGEM trend ever so slightly south. If we're going trends, the GFS did come a little north, the ICON came further north, NAM and GGEM slightly less amped and maybe a bit south...

1 minute ago, Ji said:

I mean if the euro cant be trusted at 84 hours or if it makes a dramatic shift...it becomes a jv model. The 00z to 12z was a big shift...but in our favor. The old euro never shifted this much so close to game time

And I see the GFS has been the model of consistency...

5a850af30332c_gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh78_trend(1).thumb.gif.d84baa5ee9d6d6c09725f0e16c33d0d3.gif

10 minutes ago, cae said:

You can see the RGEM meteogram out to 72 hours on meteocentre.  Getting maps is a little trickier.  Look at the RGEM accumulation map on meteocentre, get the URL of the image, and change the "48" to "60", "72", or "84".  I.e. change

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/gemreg_amer_qc_00/accum/SN_060-048_0000.gif

to

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/gemreg_amer_qc_00/accum/SN_060-084_0000.gif

Thanks

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Everyone is talking about the trend. We're just not jumping off a cliff over it. 

I don't even see a trend. Still shotgun style. Seemed like 12z was converging but spread opened back up again. I liked the euro run of course but my gut said right away that it was overdone. Doesn't mean that the GFS "nailed it" and we barely get a sprinkle. 

And I see the GFS has been the model of consistency...
5a850af30332c_gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh78_trend(1).thumb.gif.d84baa5ee9d6d6c09725f0e16c33d0d3.gif
But you also cant just take the most consistent model and declare victory either. I suppose the Euro op has been the most stable/consistent recent runs but does that mean it is right? If the gfs bounces around enough, one of its solutions will eventually be right. A broken clock is right twice a day, right?

3 minutes ago, Ji said:
5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Here's your back yard meteogram from the 12z eps. Take your pick

Lol what happened to models 20 to 25?

10 day meteo is ugly looking. Here's the 15 day. Much better. When you get done picking for Saturday, go ahead and start the thread for the 23-25th. 

AkMfipl.jpg

9 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The Euro rarely Fs up on this type of system.  I would be shocked if the GFS wins this one.  I think this is going to be a big one to be honest...just a feeling, but its going to be strictly a 95 east storm

It's a progressive wave along a boundary moving mostly WSW to ENE. How would that manage to hit east of 95 and not west?  At whatever latitude this ends up (if it even is amplified enough) it's mostly a west to east system. 

12 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Hmmm, the GGEM trended ever so slightly towards the gfs at h5 and shifted the snow axis South but because it shows a hit I suppose nobody is talking about the general trend?

It's worth keeping an eye on, but the shift was small.  I wouldn't be surprised to see more slight shifts towards the GFS, but so far with this storm I think the GFS has made a bigger move towards the other models than the other way around.  Two nights ago it was alone in showing the precip in the Carolinas with the high to our south.

It's worth keeping an eye on, but the shift was small.  I wouldn't be surprised to see more slight shifts towards the GFS, but so far with this storm I think the GFS has made a bigger move towards the other models than the other way around.  Two nights ago it was alone in showing the precip in the Carolinas with the high to our south.
I posted elsewhere that the Euro and GFS likely meet in the middle. Seems reasonable.

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I don't even see a trend. Still shotgun style. Seemed like 12z was converging but spread opened back up again. I liked the euro run of course but my gut said right away that it was overdone. Doesn't mean that the GFS "nailed it" and we barely get a sprinkle. 

He seems on some crusads of doom and gloom. I'm just letting this play out. A lot of time left. These things are a pain in the but and often shift quite a bit right up until nowcast. 

He seems on some crusads of doom and gloom. I'm just letting this play out. A lot of time left. These things are a pain in the but and often shift quite a bit right up until nowcast. 

No gloom and doom here, I swear. I think a modest quick hitting WWA is probably in the cards for both of our regions, no more, no less.

Some people like me actually feel depressed when there is no snow in winter. Its emotional for me. I literally go into depression when this happens and being negative is what helps me survive. In march 2001....i didnt talk to anyone for weeks and couldn't work

3 minutes ago, Ji said:
7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Some people like me actually feel depressed when there is no snow in winter. Its emotional for me. I literally go into depression when this happens and being negative is what helps me survive. In march 2001....i didnt talk to anyone for weeks and couldn't work

I'm sorry. It effects me some too. I get disappointed when it doesn't snow. But instead of spiraling into depression I move on to whatever the next distraction is. Be it the next threat. Or a trip I'm planning. A family event. Sports. Something. If I have to ill plan a trip to snow. But just sinking into depression isn't healthy. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived