Newest Member
    joxey
February 2018 Model thread

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, bluewave said:

This would be one event that you hope doesn't follow the seasonal trend with the R/S line moving further north in later runs. 

The pattern is zipping there and with the setup over the lakes this ain’t coming much further north.  I think if this pans out most of the interior folks are safe for mostly a winter event.  This could be a rain event east of 95 possibly but I don’t see this being able to track far enough west that this becomes a western PA or NY snowstorm

1 minute ago, winterwx21 said:

Maybe the GGEM wasn't crazy afterall. Perhaps it'll be another win for that model this winter as it was the first to show the weekend snowstorm.

It was also the first model to show the blizzard back in january. It is the best model since it's upgrade back in fall

4 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

that it cuts west of us ? - anyways if the Euro is right a lot of people will finally shut their yaps about how bad this winter has been so far

West or over, either would result in mostly rain. I am genuinely interested to know what will keep this system S&E of us to deliver mostly snow.

16 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

West or over, either would result in mostly rain. I am genuinely interested to know what will keep this system S&E of us to deliver mostly snow.

In this set up, even if it amplifies more than the euro shows and the low goes over or just west of the city, there would still be a good chunk of precip from the WAA ahead of the low which would fall as all or mostly all frozen. By the time the low approaches the city and warms up, they would still see a solid thump. So while yes the city would turn to rain, I wouldn't say they would see mostly rain save for maybe long island.

Edit: even see the euro ensembles in which the low is further NW. The city still sees a solid thump of snow before the changeover.

28 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

In this set up, even if it amplifies more than the euro shows and the low goes over or just west of the city, there would still be a good chunk of precip from the WAA ahead of the low which would fall as all or mostly all frozen. By the time the low approaches the city and warms up, they would still see a solid thump. So while yes the city would turn to rain, I wouldn't say they would see mostly rain save for maybe long island.

Edit: even see the euro ensembles in which the low is further NW. The city still sees a solid thump of snow before the changeover.

The air is cold at the start for a thump to rain if it comes further west.

47 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

18z german still shows a snow event

Gfs trended north

Storm looks legit

looks like precip is likely - the form it takes is the question here since many don't think it can snow in mid February:facepalm: it seems the key to the forecast is whether that HP sliding by to our north can be blocked just long enough and cold enough air can be be held in here by the LP to its northeast thus forcing the system approaching from the southwest to take a track far enough to our south so warmer air is not drawn north - 

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

You guys are being tricked by the 12z run. The pattern is all wrong for snow in these parts. Just take a peak at 500 mb. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 500mb looks like this could definitely overamplify and cut. The thing saving us right now is some pseudo 50/50 that are allowing the midlevels to not get peeled back and warm. Also, the high in SE Canada appears to be retreating. However, if the 50/50 comes to fruition and the HP would stay locked in place a little longer, the cold air could put up a fight for the coast.

OKX AFD regarding this weekend:

Dry weather is then expected as high pressure builds across the
area Fri night into Sat. Solutions begin to diverge thereafter,
although there is a signal amongst most of the deterministic
guidance as well as several members of the GEFS and ECENS of a
developing coastal storm due to northern and southern stream
phasing energy. The GFS keeps is not phasing the 2 streams
together, and thus is resulting in a track well south of the
area. However, given the signal from the EC, CMC and members of
the GEFS/ECENS, feel it`s prudent to include chc pops at the
current time. These phasing systems are always tough and the
probability of greater than .5" of liquid equivalent QPF is less
than 30% in both the GEFS and ECENS so will keep the mention for
a potential heavy snow event out of the HWO for now, although it
is certainly a possibility.

Any impacts from this system move out quickly Sun morning with
another area of high pres building in into Mon. Another frontal
system will approach late Mon, keeping unsettled weather in play
into the middle of next week.

21 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

To me this can range the gamut from too far west and warm for most of us to a weak miss south. It will take some real luck to get the streams to phase in time and the right place for a snow event. 

Yeah I don't get the excitement, you have a retreating high, a low in the lakes. The temperatures are already barely cold enough to support snow and with 5 days out this could easily trend N&W as most systems have done this season. 

Our last chance of snow will be in the March 1-10 timeframe and that's if the forecast works out perfectly. We've seen some horrific LR forecasts lately, so extreme caution is warranted. 

However even if we get the perfect Atlantic blocking pattern, that doesn't guarantee we see snow. It'll be early March so cold will be harder to find, the Pacific looks mostly poor to bad though seasonal wavelength changes may help. It's a crapshoot for the coast.

7 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Yeah I don't get the excitement, you have a retreating high, a low in the lakes. The temperatures are already barely cold enough to support snow and with 5 days out this could easily trend N&W as most systems have done this season. 

I’d wait a couple of days before getting excited about any solution. It could easily trend right back to nothing. 

58 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Our last chance of snow will be in the March 1-10 timeframe and that's if the forecast works out perfectly. We've seen some horrific LR forecasts lately, so extreme caution is warranted. 

However even if we get the perfect Atlantic blocking pattern, that doesn't guarantee we see snow. It'll be early March so cold will be harder to find, the Pacific looks mostly poor to bad though seasonal wavelength changes may help. It's a crapshoot for the coast.

I nominate this for the worst post ever on this forum.

Please explain why our last chance for snow is March 1-10.

Archived