Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
1/16-1/17 Event OBS

BullCityWx

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, WidreMann said:

Either the radar is lying, or the HRRR is not modelling any of this back banding and we have a small surprise coming.

Radar really going nuts actually, 20-25 DBZ in a band thats probably seeing ratios climb to 15-20:1 heck might even be good for another 1-2"...we had something like that happen in the Dec 2000 storm here, everyone thought it was over then a new band formed and dumped 2-3" on us in a hour and half. That a lot of new development on radar in the last hr, again this ULL is for real. 

1 hour ago, strongwxnc said:

Awesome CR! I ended with 4.3" which was over GSP forecast. Enjoy it man. 

I finished with 5.8, also way beyond what was expected.  It was all snow too.  No rain.  Snow from 3:00 AM until around 6:00 PM.  Amazing day of light snowfall.  Yesterday morn the forecast was for under an inch of snow.  I finished the event under a WSW for 3-6 inches, and I just about pegged that top number.  Fantastic storm.  The fast-changing conditions and major over-performance reminds me of the Christmas Day storm.  That's when I joined this board.  On Christmas Eve, the models kept upping the totals one run after another until we ended Christmas Day with 8 inches of snow.  I love surprises...of this type.

2 minutes ago, WidreMann said:

Can't say this band is that exciting where I am, also southern Durham. There are flakes and they are falling, but it's not a lot.

At this point this is all bonus snow for me -- anything more than token flurries is a win

4 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

I finished with 5.8, also way beyond what was expected.  It was all snow too.  No rain.  Snow from 3:00 AM until around 6:00 PM.  Amazing day of light snowfall.  Yesterday morn the forecast was for under an inch of snow.  I finished the event under a WSW for 3-6 inches, and I just about pegged that top number.  Fantastic storm.  The fast-changing conditions and major over-performance reminds me of the Christmas Day storm.  That's when I joined this board.  On Christmas Eve, the models kept upping the totals one run after another until we ended Christmas Day with 8 inches of snow.  I love surprises...of this type.

Yep, for every one of these there are 3 that don't turn out as well as we had hoped. I will enjoy being on the better side of a storm for once. Ended up right at 6 inches myself.

6 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

I am just south of you by 20 miles and had 5.5 inches. 

15162375327312.jpg

1 minute ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

Yep, for every one of these there are 30 <==== that don't turn out as well as we had hoped. I will enjoy being on the better side of a storm for once. Ended up right at 6 inches myself.

FYP.

It is HARD to get 6" of snow in the SE.  Mother Nature just pulled a straight flush for us.  Jackpot.  

11 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

Brad really dropped the ball on this one. I hope some mets lick their wounds and learn from this. Everyday is a new day to learn something. 

I wouldn’t call saying not a big deal 4 days before an event that people on this board doubted as well at that time frame is dropping the ball. 

He’s trying to prevent the chaos that happens here when people see any forecast of snow but he also has to include it in the forecast or he will look dumb for not forecasting anything when others are. 

This was also a once in a lifetime storm....

9 minutes ago, GunBlade said:

I wouldn’t call saying not a big deal 4 days before an event that people on this board doubted as well at that time frame is dropping the ball. 

He’s trying to prevent the chaos that happens here when people see any forecast of snow but he also has to include it in the forecast or he will look dumb for not forecasting anything when others are. 

This was also a once in a lifetime storm....

How about using a statement like " I'm not seeing this event coming together at present but I will certainly keep an eye on it and advise if things change"  vs. "Trust me....this is no big deal".  

He really needs to brush up on his communication strategy.  We all recognize tv mets dont have the luxury of brash, bold statements that we see on this site.  He just went a bit aggressive with his statement.

2 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

How about using a statement like " I'm not seeing this event coming together at present but I will certainly keep an eye on it and advise if things change"  vs. "Trust me....this is no big deal".  

He really needs to brush up on his communication strategy.  We all recognize tv mets dont have the luxury of brash, bold statements that we see on this site.  He just went a bit aggressive with his statement.

So true and I agree 100%. The EURO was showing some decent snow around the time he posted that status.. 

2 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Most people want to hear that it's not going to snow, because it's disruptive and cold. I think there's a sort of implicit incentive for weather people to downplay events because it makes people like them more.

Archived