Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, mitchnick said:

The trend ain't their friend,  that's for sure. 

We all know how that feels, but some of the posts in their storm thread are pretty sad to be honest. Apparently, Indianapolis hasn't had a WSW since March 1st, 2015. Don't know if this is true, but that's kinda sad if you're a snow lover. I guess what comes around goes around, and they'll eventually get their big storm while we are 60 degrees and rain. 

6 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

We all know how that feels, but some of the posts in their storm thread are pretty sad to be honest. Apparently, Indianapolis hasn't had a WSW since March 1st, 2015. Don't know if this is true, but that's kinda sad if you're a snow lover. I guess what comes around goes around, and they'll eventually get their big storm while we are 60 degrees and rain. 

They, along with us, need to move to Salisbury. 

38 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Yeah but don't forget, other than the the fluke Jan 2016 event (in an otherwise pretty horrid winter), that could be said about a large portion of MA as well. 

Just now, MountainGeek said:

Yeah but don't forget, other than the the fluke Jan 2016 event (in an otherwise pretty horrid winter), that could be said about a large portion of MA as well. 

While of course less numerous, many people confirmed the WSW for the Presidents Day 2016 storm, and technically, March 2017 counts, but not really. 

Just now, NovaTarHeel said:

This thing is close to being a good event, no?

Eh, maybe for extreme NW parts of this forum. Euro was interesting, since it was a tad further West, but it was also slower, which allowed a burst of snow to get in to our Western suburbs. The storm being slower is a big part of the equation too, but even if everything in the next 24 hours breaks our way, it would be difficult to get a decent event out of it. 

1 hour ago, Cobalt said:

While of course less numerous, many people confirmed the WSW for the Presidents Day 2016 storm, and technically, March 2017 counts, but not really. 

No. No minimizing. Beltways here which is a LOT of people are two years since last verified warning level snow. Last March’s storm sucked ass for the beltways. 

Every time I bring up strat I feel the need to add the disclaimer that I know very little about the subject....I think I know the basics.

00z and 06z GEFS really go nuts in the LR with warming at all levels.  I know the LR can certainly be jumpy with regards to strat forecasts but there has been a theme over the past week.  Things warm then cool toward day 10 and then the warming goes off the chart.  It's not too often you see this in an ens mean this far out..Hopefully late Jan and Feb will be rockin

ETA:  Euro looks very similar to the GEFS at D10

gefs_z10a_nh_65.thumb.png.ff7219a718f876c9bba9592bfce69bd4.png

gefs_t10a_nh_65.thumb.png.b62dbb94f4230f6b6fc3f0461a1c0fa9.png

Man, this thread has been dead.  Maybe there is still a problem with the board?  I've never seen it this quiet with possibilities on the horizon...
I think many (not all) in this subforum are losing hope and have thrown in the towel after wasting weeks of cold. It's normal human reaction....the letdown. Couple this with no major snows here since Jan 2016, near 60 degree temps next day or so, well-respected veteran members touting a guaranteed thaw in the LR (which continues to get delayed and muted, mind you), and the reaper reaping souls left and right and it's not hard to see why things are slow in here. Some of regular posters are becoming more optimistic and I expect things to pick up in here by 0z tonight.

12 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Every time I bring up strat I feel the need to add the disclaimer that I know very little about the subject....I think I know the basics.

00z and 06z GEFS really go nuts in the LR with warming at all levels.  I know the LR can certainly be jumpy with regards to strat forecasts but there has been a theme over the past week.  Things warm then cool toward day 10 and then the warming goes off the chart.  It's not too often you see this in an ens mean this far out..Hopefully late Jan and Feb will be rockin

funny.. looks very much like Ying Yang laying on it side!

yingyangrotate.png

20 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

gefs_z10a_nh_65.thumb.png.ff7219a718f876c9bba9592bfce69bd4.png

gefs_t10a_nh_65.thumb.png.b62dbb94f4230f6b6fc3f0461a1c0fa9.png

Judah seems to be on board. I really do think we’ll be rockin and rollin late January and most of February...

A8829233-1541-4ACB-AB2B-E654FFCDBB2B.jpeg

27 minutes ago, anotherman said:

Man, this thread has been dead.  Maybe there is still a problem with the board?  I've never seen it this quiet with possibilities on the horizon...

Given how poorly the models have delivered on possibilities lately I think there is a lot of buyer beware going on.  We need proof of a -AO really showing up.  we need proof that the models won't keep trending away from storms as they have.  We need proof that once this warmth gets shoved out Saturday we can get a non hostile Pac.

If the threat next week ends up being all northern stream then we're going to struggle to win. But what to look for is if other guidance trends towards the euro at h5. Looking at some of the few wins historically around here from a solely northern stream miller b we want to see a sharper h5 trough coming in then a close off to our south. 

The euro showed that hence we got snow on it. The other models show what we don't want. A broad trough coming in that closes off to our north. If we want any chance we need a trend towards the euro at h5. Right now the gfs look (not good) has more support across guidance but it is trending the right way.  

We want this.....

IMG_3611.thumb.PNG.1fee4f10b202879a7bc1015ba212ef7d.PNGIMG_3612.thumb.PNG.47de8cdd309beb251946693165327b3e.PNG

not this...

IMG_3613.thumb.PNG.3cb73e4fa5e09f290bc285f7a9c35afc.PNGIMG_3614.thumb.PNG.d5040b60f2337774fb98c80bb0bbd989.PNG

4 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Judah seems to be on board. I really do think we’ll be rockin and rollin late January and most of February...

Yeah, I know its not a 1:1 correlation with a warming strat and winter weather hear in the MA but I see it as something we can throw into the (positives) pile.  If we can get the MJO to play nice along with a SSW event...look out below!

And by "win" I mean we get some accumulating snow. 1-3" south of D.C. And 3-6" in our northern half is a win for a northern branch system.  In over 100 years of records there are only a few northern stream miller b storms that even have done that much. We have been dumped on by some northern stream dominant miller bs but even those had some hybrid qualities and tapped some gulf moisture on the way in. This right now looks like a pure northern stream miller b with no hybrid qualities. If that remains set expectations accordingly. If youre in VA and get 2" it's a win.  If you're in MD and get 4" go running in the street naked. If the fact that somewhere to our north is going to get way more is going to bother you best to skip this one. Your setting yourself up to fail. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived