Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

17 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

I think the Post had an article this week regarding tugs getting stuck in the ice. Coast guard interestingly had an ice breaker in the area. The article didn't indicate where between NYC and Albany, but the photo seemed like it was the Newburgh area. 

The Great South Bay is frozen now. Local marinas here have dock aerators which prevent the water from freezing around the pilings and docks. The resident ducks here love the openings in the ice that the aerators provide.

5a516846da813_Screenshot2018-01-06at7_16_16PM.png.e817e0e1ac0d912e184501e2c017cbdf.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Today's high temperature was 13° in NYC. That is the coldest high temperature since the mercury reached only 10° on January 19, 1994. Some pictures from along the Hudson River this afternoon.

That day had the lowest max temp in my stations record...Max of 7 degrees, low of -4 .

7 minutes ago, doncat said:

That day had the lowest max temp in my stations record...Max of 7 degrees, low of -4 .

Today was probably one of the coldest walks that I took in quite some time. It wasn't so bad with all the layers that I put on. Still, not as frigid as the near zero and 40+ mph winds on the LB Boardwalk back in January 85 and 94. 

41 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Today was probably one of the coldest walks that I took in quite some time. It wasn't so bad with all the layers that I put on. Still, not as frigid as the near zero and 40+ mph winds on the LB Boardwalk back in January 85 and 94. 

I finally made it to the boardwalk today and it was brutal. Probably the coldest walk I’ve taken up there. In terms of “deep winter” if you combine snow and long lasting cold, this has to be the best in many years. Recent years have the snow but not so much the cold. Good to see the snow hanging around and not melting like crazy already. 

24 minutes ago, Fantom X said:

Winds finally decoupled here temps plumeting   -3.3

A575A9BE-D2AC-42A4-B612-7B3433E73481.png

..just checked your weather station..you are currently -4.7*..wow!

..whats interesting i'm @ +4*/KFOK the same..the airport reported winds @ NW 10 mph..so

they never went calm..

Archived