Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

2 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Either way we warm up to at least the upper 40s/low 50s for a time. All of our coldest winter months featured at least one thaw

Yeah I mean it has to warm up...cant maintain -15 degree departures for too long. Last 10 days here have averaged 16 degrees and that figure will decrease further next two days.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you like me that cannot wait for Spring, only about 6-7 weeks of true snow season remain. After President's Day week odds of a significant storm decline significantly. We all know that it can snow into April, but the heart of the season will be over by then. We deserve an early Spring after how bitterly cold it has been.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

For those of you like me that cannot wait for Spring, only about 6-7 weeks of true snow season remain. After President's Day week odds of a significant storm decline significantly. We all know that it can snow into April, but the heart of the season will be over by then. We deserve an early Spring after how bitterly cold it has been.

If we start transitioning towards an El Niño that won’t happen though  

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I expect high snow chances throughout February and March given the negative EPO  tendency this winter so far   The coldest will definitely be behind us by next week.  

1 minute ago, White Gorilla said:

I expect high snow chances throughout February and March given the negative EPO  tendency this winter so far   The coldest will definitely be behind us by next week.  

I can live with some transient cold shots and a few snow chances provided that the mean pattern is above normal regarding temps.

5 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

Duration wise I would certainly agree, but I’m not sold on this being the strongest shot yet, I think after the thaw we return to a sharply colder demeanor for at least some time.

16 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

Duration wise I would certainly agree, but I’m not sold on this being the strongest shot yet, I think after the thaw we return to a sharply colder demeanor for at least some time.

Ouch, colder than this you think?!? How much colder can it really get, this is unprecedented cold that we are experiencing right now.

21 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

Yeah I said the same last month.  I feel like we can see a quick, Hudson Valley-draining shot at some point during winter's next onslaught in February, similar to what we experienced on Valentine's Day in 2016.

I think there's plenty more in store for us this winter, particularly in the month of February.

39 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Its been cold for 12 days.   December prior to the coldwave was running AN.  Would you want an early winter after a 12 day AN stretch in August?    

18 minutes ago, Snowshack said:

Its been cold for 12 days.   December prior to the coldwave was running AN.  Would you want an early winter after a 12 day AN stretch in August?    

Doesn’t really compare though...

Talking winter/spring versus you’re saying summer/winter. Personally, heck yea if we had these departures but positive in the middle of summer I would most certainly be peaking towards fall.

4 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

This isn't unprecedented cold. It's colder than it's been in the recent past, but as Bluewave pointed out 1917/18 was as cold/colder. 

I'm sure deeper in the history books other winters were as cold or colder. The winters of 1777 and 1780 come to mind. 

Well this certainly has to be a Top 5 right now.  I can't remember in recent history when it was this cold for this long.  Usually this type of cold only last a few days on average not 10-15 days.

BTW..... u were around for the winters of 1777 and 1780!!!

8 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

This isn't unprecedented cold. It's colder than it's been in the recent past, but as Bluewave pointed out 1917/18 was as cold/colder. 

I'm sure deeper in the history books other winters were as cold or colder. The winters of 1777 and 1780 come to mind. 

I would like to see maps at 500, 850 and surface of the 1934 and 1917 arctic outbreak here.  I just don’t see any way that NYC could go that far below 0 unless the polar vortex basically dropped right out of Quebec over us 

2 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

Well this certainly has to be a Top 5 right now.  I can't remember in recent history when it was this cold for this long.  Usually this type of cold only last a few days on average not 10-15 days.

BTW..... u were around for the winters of 1777 and 1780!!!

Only in spirit. I drive past Jockey Hollow everyday. I think about what those men/boys must have gone through. 

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

I like my "fake" cold better. :) Albany has me pegged at -12F Sunday morning, though I typically don't reach forecast lows on windy CAA nights. If by some miracle my spot were sheltered enough to tenuously decouple in that airmass, I'd likely make a run at -20.

With such a cold Arctic high moving over the area early Sunday, any areas with snowcover than can go calm will fall like a rock. Looks like CAA will be continuing until to around 6z Sunday morning. But the high may make it over after that with winds going calm in spots. 

ecmwf_mslp_noram_9.thumb.png.ea1d12825d9acf33ff84c77683672a40.png

12 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I would like to see maps at 500, 850 and surface of the 1934 and 1917 arctic outbreak here.  I just don’t see any way that NYC could go that far below 0 unless the polar vortex basically dropped right out of Quebec over us 

1934 had a record 1050+ mb high over Toronto funneling Arctic air down from the NW and NNW. It helped us out that Lake Ontario was frozen over so there was no modification of the airmass coming out of Canada.

Next weekend looks interesting with the Canadian showing snow after a warm/rain period, anafrontal maybe?

I do think we'll see some freezing rain or sleet for the 8/9 period and maybe another shot next weekend as we squeeze seasonal cold in with the warm ups. 

AO/PNA will still be somewhat favorable for frozen chances prior to Jan 15. 

39 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

Only in spirit. I drive past Jockey Hollow everyday. I think about what those men/boys must have gone through. 

Yep, that winter at Morristown (1779-1780) was brutal.  From the stories I've read, most historians think it was far worse than Valley Forge in terms of weather.  However, at Valley Forge the soldiers were ill prepared and disease spread rapidly.  It's really amazing to read the journals/accounts of these soldiers.

My forecast low for tomorrow night is now -1°, which is up from -6° earlier this week.  That maintains the trend of the cold moderating as we get closer.  Nonetheless, this was an impressive cold shot because of how long it lasted.  

14 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Yep, that winter at Morristown (1779-1780) was brutal.  From the stories I've read, most historians think it was far worse than Valley Forge in terms of weather.  However, at Valley Forge the soldiers were ill prepared and disease spread rapidly.  It's really amazing to read the journals/accounts of these soldiers.

My forecast low for tomorrow night is now -1°, which is down from -6° earlier this week.  That maintains the trend of the cold moderating as we get closer.  Nonetheless, this was an impressive cold shot because of how long it lasted.  

Right by me!  

1 hour ago, ForestHillWx said:

Heck the winter of 94 comes to mind.....I remember that 0 degree night......still the most awesome winter in terms of raw mother nature I remember...

1 hour ago, North and West said:

Right by me!  

Wow, that's an interesting place to live near.  Our state has so many great ties to the Revolution.  Who knows, maybe Washington set up headquarters in my backyard :lol:

Anyway, winds still whipping here, although the gusts are becoming less intense/frequent.

6 hours ago, allgame830 said:

Ouch, colder than this you think?!? How much colder can it really get, this is unprecedented cold that we are experiencing right now.

Just to give you guys a better idea of how cold it really is.... I'm currently between Haiti & Cuba on the north coast and it didn't get above 64 today. That's beyond unprecedented. 

Archived