Newest Member
    joxey
Holidays 2017-18 Mid-Long Range Disco 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WxUSAF said:

IF this run verified verbatim, it would elbow itself high up the NESIS list. Absolute blizzard for NYC.

As for our area, absolutely. We wouldn’t have as much precip, but we’d get great ratios and banding. 

Damn there I go getting excited about this fantasy. Probably better off to root for this thing becoming a healthy clipper.

GEFS says about a 25% chance....

f168.gif

Surprising run of the Euro. Looked farther East, but I guess it makes up for it. I beg all of you to tread lightly though. I made the mistake of not treading lightly last week for this Friday's event. We're still at the point where models are gonna bounce around a ton. With that said, it's good the Euro is being bullish for once. It seems to have taken place for the Canadian at this given moment. Hopefully the East bias for models play out and we get a healthy snowstorm. My optimistic expectation is 3-6" from the edge of the storm with high ratios. Basically, I'm saying don't get your hopes up too much. On to the EPS

2 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Surprising run of the Euro. Looked farther East, but I guess it makes up for it. I bet all of you to tread lightly though. I made the mistake of not treading lightly last week for this Friday's event. We're still at the point where models are gonna bounce around a ton. With that said, it's good the Euro is being bullish for once. It seems to have taken place for the Canadian at this given moment. Hopefully the East bias for models play out and we get a healthy snowstorm. My optimistic expectation is 3-6" from the edge of the storm with high ratios. Basically, I'm saying don't get your hopes up too much. On to the EPS

Thank you Cobalt, hopes are now in check

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, relax looks imminent....lol

ecmwf_z500a_nhem_11.png

Yea I am more confident that were not flipping warm as fast as many thought.  And a slightly warmer pattern could work out better.  But the sad thing is sooner or later it will get warm, at some point in January.  We aren't going to run wall to wall arctic cold from Xmas to February.  And even if its just some 4 day transient ridge Jan 16-20th some will still say, "see told you it was gonna warm up". 

4 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Surprising run of the Euro. Looked farther East, but I guess it makes up for it. I bet all of you to tread lightly though. I made the mistake of not treading lightly last week for this Friday's event. We're still at the point where models are gonna bounce around a ton. With that said, it's good the Euro is being bullish for once. It seems to have taken place for the Canadian at this given moment. Hopefully the East bias for models play out and we get a healthy snowstorm. My optimistic expectation is 3-6" from the edge of the storm with high ratios. Basically, I'm saying don't get your hopes up too much. On to the EPS

3-6" with high ratios is waaaay too high an expectation for someone who is trying to tread lightly.

Always expect nothing. 

If that front running piece of energy in the stj runs out ahead creating a weakness in the flow without the other vorts being able to phase with it before zipping off too late then this heads farther East. This scenario is one of our more likely fail possibilities with these potential triple phasers in my experiences watching these progs. Have seen a couple huge dogs fail like this before and I will avoid mentioning those dates. It is just ironic to see this possibility modeled so clearly on the farther East solutions. Sorry to play the devil's advocate but some of ya's are setting yourselves up for heartbreak. Potential? Yes.....huge. Potential for letdown at 6 days lead? Even huger ;-)

10 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Surprising run of the Euro. Looked farther East, but I guess it makes up for it. I beg all of you to tread lightly though. I made the mistake of not treading lightly last week for this Friday's event. We're still at the point where models are gonna bounce around a ton. With that said, it's good the Euro is being bullish for once. It seems to have taken place for the Canadian at this given moment. Hopefully the East bias for models play out and we get a healthy snowstorm. My optimistic expectation is 3-6" from the edge of the storm with high ratios. Basically, I'm saying don't get your hopes up too much. On to the EPS

Kid, for someone who typed the sentence earlier today “I was not alive in 1996” you sure do dish out advice to those of us who were around then...

trust me,  no one on here is getting giddy for this area off of that run. Just raising eyebrows at how unique the solution is. 

7 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Kid, for someone who typed the sentence earlier today “I was not alive in 1996” you sure do dish out advice to those of us who were around then...

trust me,  no one on here is getting giddy for this area off of that run. Just raising eyebrows at how unique the solution is. 

I wish I could like this more than once

It's pretty obvious this is mostly an all or none deal. Yea, we could get scraped and score an inch or two but the 2 most likely outcomes by a huge margin are zero and a moderate or large event. It's nothing like other more typical storms where we have a fairly wide range of outcomes that all include accumulating snow. Thinking that 1-3 or 2-4 or whatever is a fair compromise won't work here. Be prepared for partly cloudy skies or a pretty hard hitting storm with the former being the heavy favorite for the next 3 days or so. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's pretty obvious this is mostly an all or none deal. Yea, we could get scraped and score an inch or two but the 2 most likely outcomes by a huge margin are zero and a moderate or large event. It's nothing like other more typical storms where we have a fairly wide range of outcomes that all include accumulating snow. Thinking that 1-3 or 2-4 or whatever is a fair compromise won't work here. Be prepared for partly cloudy skies or a pretty hard hitting storm with the former being the heavy favorite for the next 3 days or so. 

yea, if the storm fails to bomb out we get nothing, and even if the storm does bomb out we still get nothing if it does so too far northeast.  And there is usually a very very sharp cutoff on the back edge.  Ratios are super high there and its possible to get 10" from only .5 qpf but at some point that means where the back edge sets up you go from 10" to nothing in only 20 miles.  Think Dec 2000, Feb 78 kind of cutoff.  These don't work out 90% of the time here.  What would make me feel we have a better chance, as I said before I know....is if we can get the whole thing to trend west earlier on so that we aren't needing some perfect phase/bomb job to pull the system in from our southeast.  I do think this has the chance to be a bombed system so I can live with havin to get it to come due north from our south, that isnt easy but its more realistic then a full capture and tug in from our east.  That almost never works. 

1 minute ago, mitchnick said:

I had a feeling it would be nice. It's almost always a bigger deal than the Operational.

Mitch or @Bob Chill at that point on the control is it still backing in or is it departing? I am just curious, because with that look you would think a storm of that size would be throwing tons of moisture southwestward.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived