• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The snow, sleet, and freezing rain oh my Dec 27-30 thread

lilj4425

One big plus or maybe minus if you end up entrenched in the freezing rain ptype. Notice we never loose the cold air feed on all these runs at the surface. Lot 9f times storms come in on pre existing air masses and rev up and we end up loosing our sub freezing surface temps toward the tail end of the storm through latent heat release etc. But I've yet to see on any of the model runs this happening. Keep the NE fetch and good hp anchor the entire event. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Lookout said:

One would think after how bad we  schooled him years ago he would have .

Hence, why he left "Southeast" out of his wording. To all the old timers that were around when that went down, that was something to remember. We were all cutting our teeth on this board. .it was classic. Foothills Weather stood firm and called it TO. A. TEE!! I think that was either 2006 or 2009? Pure-tee classic! 

2 minutes ago, Rankin5150 said:

Hence, why he left "Southeast" out of his wording. To all the old timers that were around when that went down, that was something to remember. We were all cutting our teeth on this board. .it was classic. Foothills Weather stood firm and called it TO. A. TEE!! I think that was either 2006 or 2009? Pure-tee classic! 

Yes I remember it well, He got mad and his last words was I hope you get an inch of Ice!! lol

39 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Lookout, I would love to hear your take on the upcoming potential, especially with regards to the NEGA / Upstate area that is so prone to icing.

I'll try soon...been a busy few days..including tonight taking a friend to   the er  after she fell and broke her arm. 

2 minutes ago, Justincobbco said:

Yes lookout! Please give us your expertise. Metro Atlanta is the largest population center on this forum and I'm still confused as to where we stand with the winter weather potential!

I personally believe Atlanta is in for a sleet and freezing rain event.  The model support is there on the EURO and the CMC.  (Unless the EURO that is running now backs off)  How deep the cold will slide South and West is too far out to tell, but Metro Atlanta and points East and North East should be paying attention at this point.

1 minute ago, HWY316wx said:

I personally believe Atlanta is in for a sleet and freezing rain event.  The model support is there on the EURO and the CMC.  (Unless the EURO that is running now backs off)  How deep the cold will slide South and West is too far out to tell, but Metro Atlanta and points East and North East should be paying attention at this point.

If the CMC is to be believed, which was right last time, metro Atlanta is the bullseye with the most qpf in the ZR zone.

3 minutes ago, Justincobbco said:

Yes lookout! Please give us your expertise. Metro Atlanta is the largest population center on this forum and I'm still confused as to where we stand with the winter weather potential!

Well he can give a much better answer but right now Atlanta should be very concerned. The trends today have been colder with more QPF, and deeper to the SW with the CAD. Unfortunately, ATL not in a snowy look this time so zr is going  be a real concern. Based on what is being modeled currently, this would be historically bad for some areas.

SIGH, if only it could be snow!

Archived