• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The snow, sleet, and freezing rain oh my Dec 27-30 thread

lilj4425

Guys, have most def got to call this a win for today. Forget the gfs op it will come around. The ensembles all in agreeance is a ginormous signal for, at the minimum, a moderate storm, which I know anyone on this board would go for right now. Looking to see what the 18z gfs spits out in around an hour and a half. If this thing fires up on Thursday we are talking a storm that is basically 5 days away at this point. Euro in its wheelhouse, EPS agrees with the Op, get ready folks it’s about to get real. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, CummingGaSnow said:

I see that NWS Columbia, SC has added a wintry mix all the way down to Orangeburg for Thursday night. That can't be bad this far out. It's weird though, to think that that deep in SC has a wintry mix in forecast but me 1000' higher in North GA is still all rain. I suppose that will (could) change though.

I wouldn't pay much significance on any forecast from Twc or tws at this point, it's basically automated.  The pros on here will be much more informative.

Just now, Buddy1987 said:

It was looking better at 66 and then jus went to crap from there. Baby steps with this model. I do believe the ensembles will be nice again just gut feeling. 

Yeah, we've seen this show by the GFS in the past. It's still got the storm (week and suppressed). As long as the other models keep showing their solution we have a little time to let the GFS readjust its outcome. **hopefully the other models don't readjust to the GFS.  

1 minute ago, FallsLake said:

Yeah, we've seen this show by the GFS in the past. It's still got the storm (week and suppressed). As long as the other models keep showing their solution we have a little time to let the GFS readjust its outcome. **hopefully the other models don't readjust to the GFS.  

Agreed man. Ensembles are still very telling, even if it is 18z runs. If there’s a dramatic shift with the ensembles, it’s a little bothersome, but I don’t foresee that. The CMC and EURO were solid at 12z. The trend as of now is our friend. 

1 minute ago, Buddy1987 said:

It looks suppressed to me no? 

Mean QPF is down a little but looking through individual members there’s just more of the slider solutions like the CMC and Euro. There are some cutters and completely dry members but nothing significant imo. 

1 minute ago, snowlover91 said:

Mean QPF is down a little but looking through individual members there’s just more of the slider solutions like the CMC and Euro. There are some cutters and completely dry members but nothing significant imo. 

I want to be wrong but it looks super dry comparing 120 to 12z. Like significantly. 

C5B90B6E-BFB7-4EF3-95FD-C24EDAF9CEDD.png

Just now, Buddy1987 said:

I want to be wrong but it looks super dry comparing 120 to 12z. Like significantly. 

C5B90B6E-BFB7-4EF3-95FD-C24EDAF9CEDD.png

Drier in western NC but not as much of a difference in central and eastern areas. Again it’s helpful to look at individual members. I don’t see much of a difference other than less of the super amped cutters that jacked the qpf. No worries here. 

2 minutes ago, snowlover91 said:

Until the Euro, CMC, and NAM change I won’t be buying the GFS suppression idea. They all have a similar 5H setup for the wave entering Oregon whereas the GFS has very little energy. 

I've considered that as well.  Dare I be the first to say with this scenario--'We need to wait until the wave is on shore for proper sampling.' <my eyes just twitched>

19 minutes ago, snowlover91 said:

Drier in western NC but not as much of a difference in central and eastern areas. Again it’s helpful to look at individual members. I don’t see much of a difference other than less of the super amped cutters that jacked the qpf. No worries here. 

This may whiff but when comparing EPS to GEFS...looks like business as usual. 

gfs-ens_mslpa_us_28.png

ecmwf-ens_mslpa_us_8.png

Archived