Newest Member
    joxey
The snow, sleet, and freezing rain oh my Dec 27-30 thread

lilj4425

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

At this range I do believe the euro over the GFS; but the GFS could be right this time. It is a plausible solution. 

This is like a game of Chess, one model makes a move then another counters. Whos going to fold to the other....

One thing about the GFS , it often overdoes the cold, if temps back off a bit, suppression won't be a problem!

3 minutes ago, griteater said:

I don't know, I kind of view this as just chaos with the models trying to hone in on the track, amplification, and timing of the key wave. The op models are all different, though the ensemble means were quite similar until this 18z GEFS.  On to the 00z's

Probably a middle of the rd solution, a blend of the ukie and cmc.

2 minutes ago, WarmNose said:

GFS is the most suppressed of all solutions. It has went from cutter to squash city in the past 3 days. Highly doubtful it leads the way. CMC too amp'd. Euro or Ukie likely leading the way at this juncture 

Problem is, the UKMet was weak with the waves thru 144. My biggest 'concern' here would be the 18z scenario of a weak series of waves and then a big cutter. I don't know if suppression is the right word here because we're not going to get a miss to the south.  Eventually a wave will dig and ignite a storm, but it could be delayed a few days.

27 minutes ago, WarmNose said:

GFS is the most suppressed of all solutions. It has went from cutter to squash city in the past 3 days. Highly doubtful it leads the way. CMC too amp'd. Euro or Ukie likely leading the way at this juncture 

I feel like this is the most real likelihood as of right now. Would really like to see 00z gfs change it’s tune at least a little, seeing as how we would be possibly 4 days away from precip chances.

OK, I really hate to say this but I am hoping for no snow or ice for the piedmont and coastal sections of SC and NC on the 28th and 29th. Why? I am currently in San Antonio. Tx and am driving back to NC on those days and I would really love good weather for this. Each day is a 12 hour drive as it is and I really do not need the headaches of winter weather on those dates. Afterward it can snow and ice all it wants.

This is the main piece of energy on the Euro over the 4 corners day 5, GFS has it 12 hours quicker and weaker.  The differences are seeing before this at day 4 so we will know early on tonight about the GFS.  It will be disappointing if tonights GEFS run doesn't improve a little.

ecmwf_vort_500_conus_120.png

gfs_vort_500_conus_114.png

3 minutes ago, snowlover91 said:

Time to start watching the NAM as well. Even though it’s not great at 84 hours it can be useful for seeing how it handles the vort coming onshore. 

Maybe, but an 84hr NAM isn't quite going to give us the reliable answers we're looking for this evening.  Might help with blending context

16 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

Maybe, but an 84hr NAM isn't quite going to give us the reliable answers we're looking for this evening.  Might help with blending context

The 84 hour NAM is much better than it used to be, especially for 5H setups. When it concurs with the Euro and CMC it’s a good sign it is on the right track... plus it’s the first model rolling in for the 00z suite so it’ll be interesting to see if it maintains the wave or trends weaker. 

13 minutes ago, snowlover91 said:

The 84 hour NAM is much better than it used to be, especially for 5H setups. When it concurs with the Euro and CMC it’s a good sign it is on the right track... plus it’s the first model rolling in for the 00z suite so it’ll be interesting to see if it maintains the wave or trends weaker. 

Great for 2m temps as well. Superiority over all in that respect to see how strong it is showing the CAD. 

I don't know where the pessimism is coming from for you guys... we have the GFS right where we want it right now. Honestly,  taking into account model biases, we are seeing the prefect modeled predictions for a huge winter storm in our area right now. I would be more concerned if the GFS was showing a direct hit.

9 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

I don't know where the pessimism is coming from for you guys... we have the GFS right where we want it right now. Honestly,  taking into account model biases, we are seeing the prefect modeled predictions for a huge winter storm in our area right now. I would be more concerned if the GFS was showing a direct hit.

Funny thing is, if I had to take a stab at the nam already, it looks much more interesting at 48 when comparing panels to the gfs at the same range. Be interested to see where it goes even tho it is nam. May be telling as to what it is sampling and if it is in line with the majority of the model camps. 

Nam looks much better than the gfs at the end of its run. Has the tall western ridge funneling down the Rockies, with the sw energy in the Southwest. More Euroish with its depiction. I think the future runs would look decent. You can see the return flow out of Texas responding. I really hope the gfs gets its head out of its a** at 0z

11 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Nam looks much better than the gfs at the end of its run. Has the tall western ridge funneling down the Rockies, with the sw energy in the Southwest. More Euroish with its depiction. I think the future runs would look decent. You can see the return flow out of Texas responding. I really hope the gfs gets its head out of its a** at 0z

I wouldn’t count on the GFS improving. It tends to do this a lot inside 5-6 days with our storms. As long as CMC and Euro hold we are fine. If they back off things then it will be time to be concerned. 

Archived