Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2017 Mid-Long Range Disco 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

see, I guess that's my problem with the ensembles....an inch and a half is not a strong signal to me at all

That's about as good as you will see that far out. A typical mean for any given 24 hour period during winter is perhaps .025-.5". That accounts for the fact that any given day there is some chance at a fluke snow so all it takes is a couple hits out of 52 to show that. When you start seeing a mean much above that it either means there are some massive hits in there or a lot of members showing some snow. Either way it's a signal for something. 

If 1/3 of the members show 5" and the others nothing the mean is 1.5-2". Having a 1/3 chance at 5" on any given day that's 9 days away is a huge signal and way above the normal chances of 5" of snow on any random day in winter. Your never going to have much higher probs then that at that range. 

Are those time series plots of temperature available on weather.us? If yes, how does one create them? Or are those a WxBell product based on the weather.us output? 

The CPC 6-10 day and 8-14 day outlooks don't tell us anything we don't know but its comforting to see below-normal temperatures and above-normal precipitation forecast for both periods.  

"IN THE WEEK 2 PERIOD, MODEL FORECASTS PREDICT A SLIGHTLY LESS AMPLIFIED 500 hPa TROUGH, RELATIVE TO THE 6-10 DAY PERIOD, AS A RESULT OF INCREASING ENSEMBLE SPREAD AND FORECAST UNCERTAINTY, ALONG WITH SOME EASTWARD progression OVER THE CONUS".  

Perhaps that'll help us. 

17 minutes ago, dallen7908 said:

Are those time series plots of temperature available on weather.us? If yes, how does one create them? Or are those a WxBell product based on the weather.us output? 

The CPC 6-10 day and 8-14 day outlooks don't tell us anything we don't know but its comforting to see below-normal temperatures and above-normal precipitation forecast for both periods.  

"IN THE WEEK 2 PERIOD, MODEL FORECASTS PREDICT A SLIGHTLY LESS AMPLIFIED 500 hPa TROUGH, RELATIVE TO THE 6-10 DAY PERIOD, AS A RESULT OF INCREASING ENSEMBLE SPREAD AND FORECAST UNCERTAINTY, ALONG WITH SOME EASTWARD progression OVER THE CONUS".  

Perhaps that'll help us. 

The time series plots are here: http://wx.graphics/

They are listed as ECMWF City Charts, EPS City Charts, and GFS City Charts

Today's 12z runs were weenie runs all the way. I don't care what ops show for day 9. The ensembles were about as weenie as could be. A while ago I had a checklist of what it would take for me to feel good about this winter. 

Start getting some snow from our first threats...check 

see signs blocking wants to hold this year. It doesn't have to be nao. The epo and AO seem to want to take turns helping. Check 

get to xmas without staring down some prolonged torch. Check. 

What I am looking for now to feel this potential  is real.  No real improvement in the look just stability. Seeing it lock in. Then the pretty snow mean should keep creeping up as we get closer and the bad outliers drop away. 

But overall I feel optimistic about where we're heading. I think/hope I was wrong about this winter. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Today's 12z runs were weenie runs all the way. I don't care what ops show for day 9. The ensembles were about as weenie as could be. A while ago I had a checklist of what it would take for me to feel good about this winter. 

Start getting some snow from our first threats...check 

see signs blocking wants to hold this year. It doesn't have to be nao. The epo and AO seem to want to take turns helping. Check 

get to xmas without staring down some prolonged torch. Check. 

What I am looking for now to feel this potential  is real.  No real improvement in the look just stability. Seeing it lock in. Then the pretty snow mean should keep creeping up as we get closer and the bad outliers drop away. 

But overall I feel optimistic about where we're heading. I think/hope I was wrong about this winter. 

I think if we get at least 1 good event in these next 2 weeks (4"+), we'll all feel good about our winter. Better than all of 13/14 or 14/15 or even 15/16 where most of us had to wait until mid-late January to get into the meat of the winter.

Just now, Cobalt said:

I think if we get at least 1 good event in these next 2 weeks (4"+), we'll all feel good about our winter. Better than all of 13/14 or 14/15 or even 15/16 where most of us had to wait until mid-late January to get into the meat of the winter.

It’s funny. People generally forget how mediocre 15/16 was, bar the Blizzard. 

Just now, Thanatos_I_Am said:

It’s funny. People generally forget how mediocre 15/16 was, bar the Blizzard. 

I still wouldn't trade away the blizzard for a bunch of smaller events. That blizzard was textbook, and it was beautiful. I missed my Algebra midterm, and I got to jump off my deck into a snow mound. Only good event the rest of the way was really the Presidents day event, but still, the blizzard was as amazing as a storm can get. Consistent forecast, models picked it up 5 days out. Perfection.

2 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I still wouldn't trade away the blizzard for a bunch of smaller events. That blizzard was textbook, and it was beautiful. I missed my Algebra midterm, and I got to jump off my deck into a snow mound. Only good event the rest of the way was really the Presidents day event, but still, the blizzard was as amazing as a storm can get. Consistent forecast, models picked it up 5 days out. Perfection.

No doubt it was great, but I will also never forget the 70s on Christmas.

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic

Archived