Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 8/9 Obs and discussion (Showme's) Storm

showmethesnow

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Negnao said:

Sref mean snowfall at DCA over 6 inches. I know I'm going to hear it for posting the srefs, but it's a nice jump for anyone who thinks there's any value. 

image.jpeg

I think there's certainly value there. Get banding features in, keep temperatures nice and cool, and we've got a perfect December snowfall

1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

Heavier snow south of DC near noon on Saturday. Mayhaps some heavy snow bands arise over DC and points NW. Blizzard of 2016 had that for NW, why can't we get some?

hrrr_ref_maryland_15.png

That image is for 9am when snow is just starting to get rolling over the region. You can see embedded banding to the NW and will move up from the south. HRRR at range, so take with caution, but that's an excellent sign for the meat of the system. Most areas might reach 1-2" before the real good stuff get's going. There's going to be some busting high to the NW of I-95. This has classic strong mid-level frontogenesis written all over it. 

1 minute ago, yoda said:

WSW criteria was changed to 5" a little while back... I think also it has to be greater than 50% prob of that happening for a warning to be issued

There's no compelling evidence of that imho. If the entire 0z suite tacks on 2-3 tenths then maybe but that's also assuming 10:1. Not sure it matters between advisory or warning either way. It's not a rush hour threat. I could see nws being more bullish if it was a weekday. 

2 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

That image is for 9am when snow is just starting to get rolling over the region. You can see embedded banding to the NW and will move up from the south. HRRR at range, so take with caution, but that's an excellent sign for the meat of the system. Most areas might reach 1-2" before the real good stuff get's going. There's going to be some busting high to the NW of I-95. This has classic strong mid-level frontogenesis written all over it. 

I've been thinking this as well since the 0z runs last night.

5 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I think there's certainly value there. Get banding features in, keep temperatures nice and cool, and we've got a perfect December snowfall

The snowfall plumes are pretty useless IMO but mean QPF increased again to over 0.6” QPF.  Tightly clustered around 0.5”+.  Great consensus with the other models.

Just remember that HRRR is worth nothing.  

I like seeing the consistent over performance down south.  Not sure it translates to us over performing, but some storms just seem to have that pattern.  

And given the very long swath of snow, this storm seems like it has a good chance to be a NESIS cat 2. Maybe even cat 3 if it over performs in the NE corridor.  

8 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Agree

13 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Post 0z panels for tomorrow around noon if you can. If we can get striped with bands we could see some 1"+/hr rates for a time. 

Here is the link. Latest run is 18z. Some pretty decent banding late morning to early afternoon, but the really good stuff is off the the east/NE.

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/banding/

19 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Not too concerned.  Nice cool 850s, decent rates, low sun angle, temps low 30s, we’re good to go. 

Oh, the way the post dawn hours look on the short-term models I'm not too worried. Just that I would prefer to have a solid base down overnight before we rely on good rates for the snow to really start piling up. 

fwiw, the 18z high-res RGEM is broadly in line with other guidance, but with lower precip totals than the 18z RGEM or the 18z GGEM west of 95. 

Yes, there appears to be an 18z GGEM (according to meteocentre).  It only goes out 84 hours, so I suspect it's run for RGEM initialization and boundary conditions.

WeToy9m.png

Archived