Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 8/9 Obs and discussion (Showme's) Storm

showmethesnow

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Midlo Snow Maker said:

Yea pretty sad we started as snow and never looked back . A few texts from a AKQ Met was all about the ground Temps, surface Temps and too early in the season their would be no sticking to roads , A total bust. This am all locals were 1/2" to 2" we had that by 6pm 

Your highway pavements temps are already at 32.  Neighborhood roads covered? 

Just now, SoCoWx said:

Not to be a blasphemer, but is there a chance this thing just shuts down way earlier than progged? I’m asking because looking at the radar again and seeing the snow side of the storm basically drying up and not the rain side was a bit disconcerting.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but we'll be okay once the low begins to develop off the coast and the precipitation will fill in.  Everyone always stresses at this time. 

1 minute ago, Chase said:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but we'll be okay once the low begins to develop off the coast and the precipitation will fill in.  Everyone always stresses at this time. 

Your right. It's a process and nobody will be under constant heavy returns for 12 hours. 

Low will get going off the coast and the upper level support from the vort pulling out of the south will fill things back in. 

1 minute ago, Chase said:

To be fair, I’m basically surviving off of Uber driving these days, so I didn’t want it to snow at all. It’s screwed me financially, as weekends are naturally the most profitable, but here we are. If it’s gonna snow, then f*** me up. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Chase said:

Absolutely we are fine.  It's one model that happens to be a more reliable one saying we are headed in the wrong direction.  I wouldn't sweat it too much

3 hours ago, nj2va said:

Just back from dinner in shirlington. Eyes could have been deceiving me but thought I saw a flurry or two. 

I've seen this many times where at the very end of runs...the gfs would end up the driest and most southeast

One of the things that has worried me with this system...

Much like the Boxing Day storm in 2004,  which also brought accumulating snows to South TX and the deep South, the increasing and pivoting upper jet streak to our north will no doubt optimize frontogenetic banding. That's a good thing, right? Well, depends on where you are. As the upper jet streak becomes more N-S oriented (instead of more zonal as it was Friday), while also blossoming to 160-180+ kts, the low-level ageostrophic (isallobaric) flow will become more W-NW instead of it's usual northerly component. When that happens, especially east of the mountains (with downslope), that tends to sharpen the drying and this precip gradient on the west side, especially (again) as the upper jet increases in magnitude.

IIRC, the Dec 26, 2004 storm walloped eastern VA and the DelMarVa while minimal amounts were observed farther west along and especially west of the I-95 corridor. I remember at Wakefield VA, we had a little over 3" at the office, 1" less than 15 miles to the west, and 11-14" less than 25 miles east toward Newport News. Strong frontogenesis even in the absence of much (if any) elevated instability. Thus the "all or nothing" setup, with very little longitudinal width of the 1-4" amounts. 

And with the surface and ground temps, we need the rates. Again going back to the all or nothing outcome -- 33/32 with mod heavy rates vs. 34-35 and light snow having a hard time accumulating. 

Here's hoping that western edge will be well west of the fall line!

For whatever reason, we in the RIC area always seem to dry slot as the storm transfers to the coast. But for my area SE of RIC, we got a bit screwed because not only the dry slot but had to deal with several hours of sleet and freezing rain which have cut our totals considerably! But hey, it's Dec. 8th so I will take what I can get!! This is an early season treat!!

3 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

While you stress, radar really is filling in overhead. Seems HRRR'ish too.

http://www.marylandwx.com/radar/klwxstate_br.php

The little spots showing in the beam shadow to the SW are usually the first sign that snow is reaching the ground. That area is usually what I watch for onset here. Still an hour away at least. Going to be pretty light though. 

Archived