Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 8/9 Obs and discussion (Showme's) Storm

showmethesnow

7 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

I still want to know why you said that.  We are guilty of many things on this board but making totally false claims about verifiable weather info is not one of them.  I can be a complete weenie tool bag but still wouldn't make s*** up.  GFS is not just a long range model.  It has very high verification scores. Initialization errors are documented on WPC model page.  WTF.

Hour 12 that convective blob robbed all precip to the NW, hour 18 is like 18z run again.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It was probably a layer of just above freezing but thick enough to fully melt the flakes. My guess would somewhere around 900-925mb and probably no warmer than +1-2C. Most models have 925 temp maps. When something like you experienced happens you can take a look at the column and figure out how much trouble you're in. Sounds like you walked the line for a while. 

Thanks Bob!! We walk the line here a lot. I understand weather okay, but I understand more thunderstorm type systems than winter weather. I would love a good link to look at / understand different levels of the atmosphere far as temperature

2 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

Hour 12 that convective blob robbed all precip to the NW, hour 18 is like 18z run again.

So was that an error or just what the GFS did in that frame?  My issue was making the call for initialization error when it wasn't a documented event.  That was all.  

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

Unlike most events here, I don’t think that sets up in the usual spots up near Parkton, etc. I think it’ll be closer to 95/DC but likely just NW of 95

I think blend of GFS/NAM could be seen here. Less precip overall (0.2-0.4) but localized 0.5 or more in that band

16 minutes ago, Jebman said:

Even tho the radar looks real bad right now, I have a hunch we had better keep an eye on it overnight, just in case.

Just bought a metric ton of coffee. If this should get interesting later, I might need to stay up all day too.

Jeb are you saying you're in for the entire night?

1 minute ago, MountainGeek said:

Jeb are you saying you're in for the entire night?

I am saying I have not quite given up on this storm, not just yet. There is an element now over alabama this is steadily moving northeast. I dont know  much about weather but I think we should keep an eye on that radar. It may look anemic right now, but it might set up in a few more hours.

1 minute ago, Jebman said:

I am saying I have not quite given up on this storm, not just yet. There is an element now over alabama this is steadily moving northeast. I dont know  much about weather but I think we should keep an eye on that radar. It may look anemic right now, but it might set up in a few more hours.

What will probably happen is the organizing area of precip in NC will track into se va and things will build our way from there. Nothing great was supposed to happen overnight. All the action happens tomorow after sunrise. If people in the region get an inch or 2 overnight it's gravy. 

Band may be forming over Loudoun, SW to NE, its been developing for past 30 min. Anyone up there see any snow yet? Snow area over eastern third of Loudoun County is greening! The blue associated with it is expanding SE, right toward me.

This is SO fascinating!!! I can see this thing develop right before my eyes!!! I AM ALL IN!!! Game is effin' ON!!!

I am blasting 70s songs that remind me of snow! I got em playing on my tablet on Spotify, hundreds of em! Man, This is gonna be good!

Archived