joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 8/9 Obs and discussion (Showme's) Storm

showmethesnow

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was out on a long, refreshing jebwalk. It was shweet cool weather.

Not a drop of rain. Not a single nanotechnological speck of snow.

I always expected a coating of snow on the car.

When you reside here in northern Virginia, You have got to keep expectations extremely low.

This way - if the snow arrives, its an unbelievable overperformer.

Thats the way to live out each day - and every day is a blast, not a letdown.

4 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Reminds me of the early march 2009 storm. I of course didn't remember it, but looking back at it last year, models looked more and more overwhelming, and then heavy bands of snow saved the day. Could happen here

I remember March 09 quite fondly... Of course, I lived on the shore then and it was epic

1 minute ago, yoda said:

Pretty much.  Looks like 14-15mm... its actually a bit colder at the 850s (-4c for majority) and just below 32 degrees for the temp

I was at 32/32 earlier and was wondering why I had freezing rain. When I looked at the 850 it showed -4. That is why I asked if anyone could help me understand why freezing rain was falling from the sky instead of snow. I am not that good at reading upper air maps.

Just now, ATreglown said:

I was at 32/32 earlier and was wondering why I had freezing rain. When I looked at the 850 it showed -4. That is why I asked if anyone could help me understand why freezing rain was falling from the sky instead of snow. I am not that good at reading upper air maps.

Warm nose in between 850 and sfc

Just now, caviman2201 said:

Warm nose in between 850 and sfc

Well, eventually that warm nose cooled to allow huge flakes falling. Now, just a misty kind of light snow due to I am guessing the low moving off shore and redeveloping. Looks like heavier snow will come through again in the wee hours of the morning.

34 minutes ago, Tertialmayday said:

Actually looking again it may not have been an initialization error, but at this range why are people jumping ship based on a long range model 

I still want to know why you said that.  We are guilty of many things on this board but making totally false claims about verifiable weather info is not one of them.  I can be a complete weenie tool bag but still wouldn't make s*** up.  GFS is not just a long range model.  It has very high verification scores. Initialization errors are documented on WPC model page.  WTF.

2 minutes ago, ATreglown said:

Well, eventually that warm nose cooled to allow huge flakes falling. Now, just a misty kind of light snow due to I am guessing the low moving off shore and redeveloping. Looks like heavier snow will come through again in the wee hours of the morning.

It was probably a layer of just above freezing but thick enough to fully melt the flakes. My guess would somewhere around 900-925mb and probably no warmer than +1-2C. Most models have 925 temp maps. When something like you experienced happens you can take a look at the column and figure out how much trouble you're in. Sounds like you walked the line for a while. 

Archived