Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,515
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    chrislittlenews
    Newest Member
    chrislittlenews
    Joined
Wow

December 8-9 Holiday snow event Observations

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

The snow here would be melting off the trees too, if only trees grew 5000 ft tall.

yeah lol, my rain gauge has 30" of snow that melted a few thousand feet off the ground in it, I also have huge puddles alll over the yard, some are 3-4" deep does that count at all......

On a serious note though I ended up with 3" of rain with temps in the mid 30's is pretty par for the course here. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp, that's a wrap.  It's still snowing with this last band, but the flakes are really tiny and insignificant.  I don't think we'll add anymore to the accumulation.  We've picked up an extra inch this morning to bring my grand total to 5.5 inches.  (There may have been more, but compaction and melting in between measurements is always hard to gauge.) 

This has been a fantastic way to start off the winter season -- a real early season surprise!  It reminds me of the 1980s, when we had 20+ inches of snow -- it seemed like -- several times that decade.  Getting 5.5 inches this early puts me in a great position to exceed my winter max snowfall at this location (see my signature).  Of course, we may not see a single other flake this winter, but I like our chances.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ended up with about 10” of snow.  Most since 1993 for me. 

incredible  storm to day say the least 

 

slept by by the fire last night with no power and a war zone of trees crashing all night.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

Ended up with about 10” of snow.  Most since 1993 for me. 

incredible  storm to day say the least 

 

slept by by the fire last night with no power and a war zone of trees crashing all night.  

 

Sounds like our night up here.  Glad to see you cashed in after being so close in recent years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, No snow for you said:

I want a 10 inch storm for GReenville. Is that too much to ask

honestly, I'm encouraged/feel that the Carolinas/Southeast will have multiple snow events this season - I have nothing to back this statement however LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tarheel17 said:

Tiny flurries blowing in the wind once in a while. That's it. Hoping I at least get mood flakes from the band, but not getting my hopes up.

The last hurrah band is trying to regenerate a bit....we'll see

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well ended up with 12 inches here in West Asheville/Candler area, great storm.  Just got the driveway shoveled off, wet heavy snow.  Now comes the wind and very cold temps with windchills tonight in the single digits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

Welp, that's a wrap.  It's still snowing with this last band, but the flakes are really tiny and insignificant.  I don't think we'll add anymore to the accumulation.  We've picked up an extra inch this morning to bring my grand total to 5.5 inches.  (There may have been more, but compaction and melting in between measurements is always hard to gauge.) 

This has been a fantastic way to start off the winter season -- a real early season surprise!  It reminds me of the 1980s, when we had 20+ inches of snow -- it seemed like -- several times that decade.  Getting 5.5 inches this early puts me in a great position to exceed my winter max snowfall at this location (see my signature).  Of course, we may not see a single other flake this winter, but I like our chances.

I was wrong.  This last band is packing a punch!  Really big flakes for about half an hour or so now.  It's beautiful!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, downeastnc said:

yeah lol, my rain gauge has 30" of snow that melted a few thousand feet off the ground in it, I also have huge puddles alll over the yard, some are 3-4" deep does that count at all......

On a serious note though I ended up with 3" of rain with temps in the mid 30's is pretty par for the course here. 

Same story in Wilson.  2.14" of cold rain. 

 

My in-laws live a little east of Asheville and the mother-in-law works in West Asheville where apparently they got totals approaching 12".  This morning she sent my wife a text asking how much snow we had gotten.  If only they had an emoticon that shows a shaking fist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, would it be fair to say that in areas where the storm did perform, it over-performed?  Seems like a few days ago the GFS and Euro were poo-pooing it a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Measured 1.5 here just after the snow ended this am around 9ish. Heavy wet stuff too! I was worried last night around 7-9pm...looked like the returns had quit, but we got into a decent band finally after about 2 or 3 in the morning. VERY HAPPY HERE!!!

snow.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went out on a run with a few flurries blowing in the wind, then by the time I made it home I got my mood flakes finally.

 

In 3 weeks I move to uptown. I fully expect the next storm to nail the southern end of Charlotte and give me zilch in uptown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Light to mod snow continues here in HKY. Probably around 5.5 on the ground, however if you discount the melting from underneath that has been occuring since the start of the storm yesterday morning, we've probably had roughly 7 or 8 inches.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been off and on snow flurries all morning in Kernersville, but that has turned into a moderate snow shower now.  Has to be above freezing outside as this snow is melting on contact in the driveway. Great snowball snow though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, broken024 said:

Ahh of course this last band of snow is still rain haha

Here too. Florida gets snow and nada here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had enough sleet last night and snow this morning for 2 inches but melting fast, even with clouds and mid 30s. Got down to 32 twice but never able to get below freezing. Had I just been 2 measley degrees colder since yest afternoon would of had a real nice pile, even with all the mixing. So close!!

GSP has a list of totals, some pretty impressive ones

18 in Mtn City GA (Rabun County)

18 near Cashiers NC

Biggest report I see for SC is 9 in Marshall (Pickens County). With Brevard and Hendersonville being in double digits though I bet Caesar's Head is close to a foot.

Overall SC really got the shaft unless you were close to the NC border. I did notice GSP set a daily record for yesterday with with 1.6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×