joxey
December 2017 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, yoda said:

Um, no it doesn't

The legend on the right says the first level of green is .1", next is .25, next is .5", and the next is 1". The link below is (or is supposed to be) hour 72. Start with that, then go to 78 and then 84.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gem&region=neus&pkg=mslp_pcpn&runtime=2017120612&fh=72&xpos=0&ypos=218

6 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

The legend on the right says the first level of green is .1", next is .25, next is .5", and the next is 1". The link below is (or is supposed to be) hour 72. Start with that, then go to 78 and then 84.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gem&region=neus&pkg=mslp_pcpn&runtime=2017120612&fh=72&xpos=0&ypos=218

That's instantaneous precip from your link

This is total accumulated precip -- https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gem&region=neus&pkg=apcpn&runtime=2017120612&fh=96&xpos=0&ypos=154

33 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I don't remember which year but the 18z nam was the first model to steal a storm from us and it turned out correct. We all said toss the nam until everything else followed. lol

There was a small event way back in January 2007 where everything showed a nice little 3-5" snow for our area from a developing wave along the coast, kind of similar to this, and the NAM by itself was saying "what wave" and had nothing.  This was about 36 hours out.  We tossed it.  Sure enough next run all the other guidance lost the wave also.  It does score a coup from time to time, but not often.  And I can remember WAY more negative coups then positive ones FWIW. 

42 minutes ago, Ger said:

Has the name ever scored a leading-the-way coup?

For long-range (>60 hr) forecasts, I can only remember it "leading" because it's one of the first models to come out.  Shorter-range, I can remember it identifying precip maxes that other models missed.  But at shorter range you're probably better off using the 3k NAM. 

19 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Pretty ugly GFS run overall. I cant believe I am going to watch Richmond get accumulating snow before me again this year. What a kick in the jewels.

I like the GFS op run so far.  Both events next week trended south and now get under us.  That is the most important thing ATT.  We will resolve details way later, but right now have to get these vorts under us to be in the game. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived