Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Post Christmas Bomb

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta' admit our area (Greenfield, Keene, Brattleboro) is long overdue. I for one will just enjoy watching you guys analyze the models and hope this thing ends up just inside the BM.

You too, Logan 11.

We've had a bit of a dought for major storms. Can't complain about snowfall as a whole, since 07-08 and 08-09 were pretty good. But It's going on 4 years without a 12"+ storm

Historic Whiffed Storm

:yikes:

I'm only speaking about this model run. This whole thing is really entertainment at this point. The GFS and GGEM didn't know it was going to snow tonight until yesterday. They were 300 miles too far east, I'm not really worried about their D5 predictions.

I'd like to see the EC stay within the cone, and have the UK shift left a little. Even the lowly NOGAPs coming within 700 miles will be a good signal that we're narrowing the options.

Is this going to be Don S FTW? Quite possibly in relation to areas SW of our concern. But that doesn't mean the SE 1/3ish of New England can't get smoked. I'm not saying eastern maine won't get hit/will get hit, not offering an opinion there either way.

Will to Kev/Ryan to SE NH to SW ME and points SE.

How come when there's a difference at 500 v SLP that results in a miss it's always the SLP that is assumed to be out of alignment with the 500. Maybe it's the SLP that's right, not the 500? Deep thoughts with Jack Handy.

Personally I think that whole argument is just weenie talk. Models don't have major misalignments between upper level features and the surface reflection.. if they did they would never even be able to get a 6 hour forecast correct. That's a pretty basic aspect of storm physics models would have to get right in order to predict anything. Usually there's a reason in the upper levels causing the storm to be so far east (like leading PVA that disrupts the storm cyclogenesis).

Personally I think that whole argument is just weenie talk. Models don't have major misalignments between upper level features and the surface reflection.. if they did they would never even be able to get a 6 hour forecast correct. That's a pretty basic aspect of storm physics models would have to get right in order to predict anything. Usually there's a reason in the upper levels causing the storm to be so far east (like leading PVA that disrupts the storm cyclogenesis).

Agreed 100%

the reason it is better to look at mid and upper level features in the medium and long range is because models handle the free atmosphere considerably better than lower level and boundary layer features, including surface low pressures.

the reason it is better to look at mid and upper level features in the medium and long range is because models handle the free atmosphere considerably better than lower level and boundary layer features, including surface low pressures.

But I'd say based on experience in the last two years in weird patterns quite often the models are this range do not show mid/upper level features correctly - or they are modeled weakly - that later explain the MSLP.

Archived