Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma- STORM MODE

stormtracker

1 minute ago, Hotair said:

HillsdaleMIWeather  I want to believe Irma has started W/NW but I just don't see it in the IR images i have. Its been over half hour now and all i see is W motion and even jogs W/SW.  Are you still seeing it gaining latitude?

i don't see it moving west, looks almost stalled last 30 minutes

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, williamGD said:

Any good news is good. I understand the people who live in other states want to see this a Cat 5 cause they're not in the any of it but us here in Sarasota want a life after it is over. Yes this is just a blip down to 120 and could jump to 150 in 12 hours and track right over us still. But any good news is just that good news and right now ill take any good i can get. For 2 days now us here on the west voast have seen nothing good from this storm.

I wouldn't mind seeing this storm vaporize for sure but obviously that isn't going to happen. What is most frustrating for forecasters right now and somewhat maddening is when the turn is truly going to begin. 

Impressive that Irma has managed to keep a pressure in the 930s today while still dealing with impacts from Cuba. As stated above the winds will take a while to react back upwards, and they'll likely do so suddenly (at least when you look at the pass to pass recon data). However, I don't think we're going to see that until we can get some decent convection over most quads. In reality, it doesn't really matter in terms of the storm surge potential - that is locked in as a devastating event similar to Ike thanks to the very large wind field. 

Just now, eyewall said:

I wouldn't mind seeing this storm vaporize for sure but obviously that isn't going to happen. What is most frustrating for forecasters right now and somewhat maddening is when the turn is truly going to begin. 

Is there any potential change in track from this sort of unexpected slowdown and lack of turn? Upper level players that might get closer/farther away that might change the forecasted path any? The near-stall of late seems to be a bit of a surprise.

4 minutes ago, Hotair said:

HillsdaleMIWeather  I want to believe Irma has started W/NW but I just don't see it in the IR images i have. Its been over half hour now and all i see is W motion and even jogs W/SW.  Are you still seeing it gaining latitude?

I think the more west it goes the better for us here in Sarasota tampa. At some point something has to give with the track. Not even talking the 150 anymore cause the people on here that do not live in florida want to see it hit Cat 5 again to see what it can do. But if it keeps going west something has to give with the track not even talking speed anymore but track.

2 minutes ago, williamGD said:

Any good news is good. I understand the people who live in other states want to see this a Cat 5 cause they're not in the any of it but us here in Sarasota want a life after it is over. Yes this is just a blip down to 120 and could jump to 150 in 12 hours and track right over us still. But any good news is just that good news and right now ill take any good i can get. For 2 days now us here on the west voast have seen nothing good from this storm.

You need to understand that this is a catch 22. Irma may not have the higher winds at the moment, but the pressure remains very low. In all likelihood, we're going to see those winds respond upwards in a hurry over the next 18 hours. I'm really afraid that any last minute evacs that may take place are going to second-guess themselves. Irma will likely be strengthening up until landfall. 

From someone who lives in Miami (near Miami Beach), just want to give an on the ground report.

I've been here over 30 years.  There are bursts of wind, but it's weak tropical storm stuff at this point.  I literally have CNN running around in front of my building currently filming all day, trying to catch a wind burst.

I took a risk staying, but I chose my home for a reason.  However CNN is still going for ratings and petrifying the Latino population and their families.

Miami is safe, even a Category 2 doesn't phase us.  May sound odd to non-Tropical folks but we realize there will be damage, but it's nothing compared to Andrew or what these storms do to our native countries.

1 minute ago, salbers said:

Since 0000UTC it seems to have gained just a few km of latitude.

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=meso1-13-200-1-100

Maybe a stall is happening to prelude a turn?

Was watching WFOR-TV's stream not too long ago and the meteorologist was worried that this apparent stall is the beginning of the turn.

33 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

It'll have to start north pretty soon to really make landfall and go into the FL Peninsula. At this rate it might go over or even west of Key West. From there, even due north wouldn't make it east of Tampa Bay. 

Would have to average about 325 degrees starting now to hit Key west.  Right now it's moving about 280, so it has to make a pretty decent turn at some point soon. 

It's pretty much due South of the center of Lake Okeechobee right now so it's still a hundred or so miles east of Tampa Bay.

8 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

These stall questions are good.   I would guess what is going on in the atmosphere to the north is changing every hour.  So now that Irma has basically stalled for a couple of hours I wonder how that affects the track?  The stall was not predicted, correct?  

When a hurricane begins to turn, it slows down as the steering in one direction lessens and the steering in a new one takes over.

3 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

Depends on how sharp that turn is, could put further east

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best track for florida if it has to hit the state would be right up the middle of the state. Yes the east coast would get more of it and the west would still but the best landfall is it doing it asap and be over land again asap. But it is all a guess till we see it happen i would guess.

1 minute ago, williamGD said:

The best track for florida if it has to hit the state would be right up the middle of the state. Yes the east coast would get more of it and the west would still but the best landfall is it doing it asap and be over land again asap. But it is all a guess till we see it happen i would guess.

I highly doubt the middle of the peninsula track is happening at this point, it's practically due south of the peninsula now. It would have to make an almost 90 degree turn. NNW is much more likely and that's bad for the west coast. 

From looking at Irma's circulation from another perspective, I suspect that the hurricane may need to reach 23.5°N latitude before its winds strengthen. It appears that the turn north is in its early stages.

Finally, I remain concerned that the ECMWF's 24-hour error of around 25 miles suggests a risk that Irma could pass to the west of Tampa bringing about a large storm surge along with severe winds and heavy rain.

Irma09092017.jpg

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived