Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Tropical Banter Thread

Rjay

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

With Irma being in the news for well over a week now at major hurricane status, and with the millions of evacuees in FL, the Weather Channel must be having their highest ratings of all time.

Yep. Top 5 cable programs on Thursday were all Weather Center Live.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-thursday-cable-originals-network-finals-9-7-2017.html

And so the social media Monday-morning quarterbacking from SE Floridians begins. Ugh. Such an inconvenience to potentially have saved your family's lives <sarcasm>. Seriously, can people wait until it's actually Monday to start assessing things? It's a shame the media spoke in such definitives. If the public only had NHC forecasts and their uncertainties were relayed to the general public and more understanding of shifts and wobbles were mentioned maybe people would get it just a little more than they do now. When media over-sensationalizes things and speaks in definitives for 5-6 days, people tend to start believing them. One city's shift/saving grace is another city's catastrophe but these people complaining about wasting their time will focus only on THEIR inconveniences and NOT the fact other towns will be devastated and how that COULD have been them. I digress.....lets wait until Monday to assess things....always changing/evolving. 

6 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

I'm amazed how much more people care about Barbuda than they do about Cuba

Cuba will get clobbered, but much of the area where the eyewall is circulating is lightly populated, an the gov't is petty good about getting people out and helping people afterwards (a good social network). 

Barbuda was just gone.

Cuba will get clobbered, but much of the area where the eyewall is circulating is lightly populated, an the gov't is petty good about getting people out and helping people afterwards (a good social network). 

Barbuda was just gone.

Further NW it gets more populated

I've mostly been lurking, but have gotten a kick out of how this storm has been tracked and discussed on the site. As always there's been some excellent analysis, and we're fortunate to have some very knowledgeable mets who generously contribute their insights. But as is also always the case, there's plenty of noise and clutter. It would be interesting to go back and count the number of times that certain "observations" have been made in the discussion thread. Some of my favorites:

"You can clearly see based on the last 5 seconds of the loop that the ERC is now complete."

"She's clearly strengthening now."

"Latest ___ run is the absolute worst-case scenario for ____."

"When's the next recon flight?"

"Based on the last 2 seconds of the radar loop, there's a clear NW component now."

"Cloud tops are cooling. Clearly strengthening."

"I live in __. Where should I go?"

"She's going to explode when she hits those warm SSTs."

While it looks now like a best case scenario for Florida with Irma being torn up over Cuba then going far west of Miami-Dade, we won't have any clarity until she turns north and we can narrow down the landfall location and see IF she is able to intensify.  Best to step away for 12 hours.  I do feel bad for all those ppl on in SE Florida who evacuated (probably) unnecessarily, but until forecasting gets better there was really no other choice given the potential and what the models were showing just 36 hours ago.  

Woke up to quite a cluster this morning apparently. Folks in Miami will never heed evacuation calls again. They got lucky. The more it hangs out over Cuba, the more it's shredded. Much longer and the best it can stay is a 3. Will have to see how it's surge comes to places like Tampa.

With all due respect to the members of AmericanWx, to see some in other forums actively "rooting" for it to intensify and not get shredded to hell is disturbing.

Yes, I understand the meteorological excitement surrounding the storm, but the human cost and cost to our nation will be very high if Irma gets her act together in the straits. It just boggles my mind.

Archived