Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Banter Thread

Rjay

5 hours ago, SN_Lover said:

You tell me a hurricane that strengthened windspeed's in 30kt+ shear. 

You have posted nothing but terrible "information" since the thread started, just FYI.

Seriously I haven't seen one of your posts that was anything but silly hypotheticals and needless posturing.

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, andyhb said:

You have posted nothing but terrible "information" since the thread started, just FYI.

Seriously I haven't seen one of your posts that was anything but silly hypotheticals and needless posturing.

I'm waiting on your analysis of a warm core hurricane that strengthened wind speed's in 30kt shear also....

4 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

I'm waiting on your analysis of a warm core hurricane that strengthened wind speed's in 30kt shear also....

Hurricane Matthew last year.

I already said not to ignore shear in the main thread as well, but as usual you probably didn't read that.

13 minutes ago, Chinook said:

somebody referred to a LHF with regard to a large circulation in the other thread. Anybody know what that is?

I just figured it out. Latent heat flux. The upward motion, connected with latent heat release, is the engine inside a hurricane.  The person saying this may have been referring to this: The latent heat flux is too spread out when the 64kt + winds are too wide, leading to a broad lowering of SLP, rather than concentrated (??)

Interesting tweets from Meteorologist Mike Ventrice (@MJVentrice) about 10 days ago (August 31st)! Mike noted the very high intensity max of 165-175 kt. Well as it turned out, the EPS mean track was sort of right (not exactly) and the potential for higher CAT-5 winds was indicated.

r6BVMu3.jpg

XmgaBPP.jpg

Not predicting this but what if we see a sub 900 mb cat 4?  Weenie discontent lol

If, and that's a big if, Irma were to rapidly intensify to a sub 900 mb pressure, the eyewall would have to be intense as such that a strong prssure gradient would support Cat 5 intensity even within its surrounding lower background pressures. Don't see that happening but, of course, not impossible. If this maintains Cat 4 wind speeds up the western coastline, the destruction will be sobering and immense. Even if it were a Cat 3, the wind field is huge.

Hurricanes always come stamped with their category inside of the eye. Ironically, when this happened, with Hurricane Wilma (2005), the NHC upgraded it to a Cat-3. This is a real radar image with a few bits in the eye that look like a "2". Please note this is from October 2005 (Hurricane Wilma)

dVEP2xI.png

Archived