Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

3 hours ago, MarkO said:

Alex, was your photo from a drone? Amazing, none the less. I've always thought the presidentials up your way has the best mountain views in all of New England. Also, when you travel south to Boston for work, do you take 93 or 16?

My view in Thornton isn't anywhere near yours, but I settled on convenience. 90 minutes door to door to my house in Lowell. I also still can't believe I paid $9k for a lot with this view.

Hey Mark! No, the photo is from the Mt Washington Hotel. We don't have mail delivery, so my mailbox is at the hotel. Not the most convenient, but it's literally just down the street so no big deal. And your view is not shabby either! I find that many spots in both the Whites and the Greens have amazing views... very different from one another. Some are more expansive, some more rugged... but really nice nevertheless. Aside from the climate, I love the open-ness of Bretton Woods, and the type of trees (I think mostly red spruce?). They have a very mountain-y feel to them. But I also love both of the notches we are surrounded by!

And on that note - I go to Boston via 93, through Franconia Notch. It's not bad, we can usually do it in 2.5 hours if we avoid traffic. 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

So I based this off your location for your PWS, but using the P&C the map will show you your grid box that it is averaging to come up with the wording. You are a great example of how comically bad our forecasts can be sometimes. Your grid box covers every elevation from the top of Mount Oscar (over 2700 feet) to the valley floor (around 1500 feet). That's averaging at least 1200 feet of vertical. So apologies, your forecast will never be accurate until we get smaller grid spacing. :cry:

OMG do not worry... I completely understand! There was a 10 degree difference last night between my house and the condos up the street, 1 mile away and 200 ft higher. There is no way you could possibly capture that in a forecast!!!

10 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

We could easily steal that code from BTV and do something like that ourselves. Though it gets a little dicey when you start providing a forecast for say Jay Peak, when it's also a money making ski mountain that could be paying a private company for that forecast. :ph34r:

Or Mt. Washington when they have a forecasting staff at the observatory doing the job for summits of Whites. 

Still getting used to how fast the temperature plummets this time of year when the sun goes down.

Its almost like a FROPA comes through at sunset each night, lol.

Drop 16 degrees in 2 hours back into the 40s from the 60s.  Windows open to everything slamming shut. 

BML is still the winner in that regard... they just freefall at sunset.  Tonight they went from 64F to 44F in two hours.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Still getting used to how fast the temperature plummets this time of year when the sun goes down.

Its almost like a FROPA comes through at sunset each night, lol.

Drop 16 degrees in 2 hours back into the 40s from the 60s.  Windows open to everything slamming shut. 

BML is still the winner in that regard... they just freefall at sunset.  Tonight they went from 64F to 44F in two hours.

68F to 48F in 2hrs at SFM too. 59F to 36F in 3hrs at HUL. Lots of big drops tonight at the rad pits. Probably still 70F on Lava Rock.

Archived