Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WxBlue said:

It's gonna be a lot of fun and very different from what I ever experienced. My personal low temperature record is sitting at zero so... it won't take much for a New England winter to break that.

We made it to 30 at DAW.

Very good chance you break that this winter. Prob only once or twice a decade will you get a winter there that doesn't go below 0F...if you are in a radiational cooling spot though, then it might not basically ever happen. KCON airport site has only had 1 winter on record that failed to fall below 0F...that was 1952-1953 when they hit exactly 0F. They had close calls in 2009-2010 (-1F) and 2001-2002 (-2F)....but all other winters have hit at least -5F.

For a non-radiational cooling site though, it will be more common not to fall below 0F. A place like ORH averages about 1.5 winters per decade without going below 0F. Prob more like 2 now since most of the occurrences have been more recently.

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

First hard freeze at all elevations.

25F at MVL and 29F at 1,500ft.  The mid-slopes had avoided freezing temperatures so far this year but not last night.

Did they turn on any of the guns to blow out the mice?

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Very good chance you break that this winter. Prob only once or twice a decade will you get a winter there that doesn't go below 0F...if you are in a radiational cooling spot though, then it might not basically ever happen. KCON airport site has only had 1 winter on record that failed to fall below 0F...that was 1952-1953 when they hit exactly 0F. They had close calls in 2009-2010 (-1F) and 2001-2002 (-2F)....but all other winters have hit at least -5F.

For a non-radiational cooling site though, it will be more common not to fall below 0F. A place like ORH averages about 1.5 winters per decade without going below 0F. Prob more like 2 now since most of the occurrences have been more recently.

Interesting! I didn't realize it's super uncommon for the annual minimum to not drop below zero around here. I've noticed that there's an excellent radiational cooling spot just to northeast of DAW (over in Sanford, Maine) that should help neutralize the coastal effect in Dover. SFM was at 27 this morning while PSM was at 35.

13 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Interesting! I didn't realize it's super uncommon for the annual minimum to not drop below zero around here. I've noticed that there's an excellent radiational cooling spot just to northeast of DAW (over in Sanford, Maine) that should help neutralize the coastal effect in Dover. SFM was at 27 this morning while PSM was at 35.

I checked KDAW....its a pretty new site as it went into commission in 1999, but they've only failed to fall below 0F twice since 1999...and one of them was exactly 0F. Only 2001-2002 at 4F failed to fall below zero. 7 winters since 1999 they've fallen to -10F or colder.

There's some real pits in Rockingham and Strafford counties. Given the right setup with snowpack and they can radiate with the best of them. Bear Brook radiates better than CON and I had a .500 record beating CON for mins at my old place in Auburn near Massabesic Lake. The lake had -43F in that Feb 1943 cold shot which gave CON their all-time record of -37F. Dover may be a bit more iffy. I know they had around 35-40" in the Mar 2001 storm.

1 hour ago, eyewall said:

Did they turn on any of the guns to blow out the mice?

Not with my forecast haha.  Not close to worth it with the upcoming warmth.  

Stowe won't if there's no chance of it sticking around.  The system is tested and ready to go but given the upcoming continued mild pattern there's no reason IMO.  

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

There's some real pits in Rockingham and Strafford counties. Given the right setup with snowpack and they can radiate with the best of them. Bear Brook radiates better than CON and I had a .500 record beating CON for mins at my old place in Auburn near Massabesic Lake. The lake had -43F in that Feb 1943 cold shot which gave CON their all-time record of -37F. Dover may be a bit more iffy. I know they had around 35-40" in the Mar 2001 storm.

I've noticed there's some good sandy soil areas every time I am driving up through that part of NH and SW ME.

Archived