SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been sitting here defending the GFS for days now against the EURO, but this run makes zero sense whatsoever. In the entire recorded history of tropical systems, has any run hit the tip of Florida and run northward, parallel to the eastern coastline? I've never seen anything like this before and that kind of a hard right turn is absolutely impossible.  Perhaps it would rake Cuba more and turn northward toward the Tampa area, but even that's a bit of a stretch. Wow.

1 minute ago, TriPol said:

I've been sitting here defending the GFS for days now against the EURO, but this run makes zero sense whatsoever. In the entire recorded history of tropical systems, has any run hit the tip of Florida and run northward, parallel to the eastern coastline? I've never seen anything like this before and that kind of a hard right turn is absolutely impossible.  Perhaps it would rake Cuba more and turn northward toward the Tampa area, but even that's a bit of a stretch. Wow.

Stop....it's not impossible, and there are many storms that have taken hard turns.  They slow down for a few hours and then turn.

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

That has occurred before.  Or systems barely weaken over S FL due to basically being over water.  Wilma barely budged as it crossed.

Ok, Wilma made a hard right turn into South Florida when it was anticipated to hit Tampa... but still. Wow. What a mess.

3 minutes ago, TriPol said:

Donna.

EDIT: added photo of path.

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 12.33.29 AM.png

1 minute ago, TriPol said:

Ya very high chance that absolutely doesn't happen. The trend is interesting though, keeps going SW with each run. Curious to see if this can make it into the eastern GOM before doing the hard turn NE in future runs.

Good thing this is just an op run with the panels of concern at 150h+, so it likely won't verify, but this was a difficult model run to watch in terms of the trail of casualties, property damage, economic impact, and reshaping of cultural and historic places that you assume would result.

2 minutes ago, Stebo said:

If it goes ashore, it doesn't look to go ashore but ride right along it also a circulation this massive wouldn't be affected as greatly compared to a smaller storm.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that a major hurricane is going to keep its status with not only land friction and shallow water issues playing a high impact, but also high topography playing a significant role.

13 minutes ago, TriPol said:

Turns like that are entirely possible and have happened. 

There is nothing remotely unrealistic about that turn other than being in that precise location and angle. It's not any more or less realistic than any other turn. 

1 minute ago, TellicoWx said:

Only thing I'm taking away from these runs is whenever it decides to turn North, it's going to make a sharp turn. Whether that's OTS, along the coast, or in the Eastern gulf

At this point? It might make that turn in the bay of campeche. I'm looking forward to getting recon data ingested with the model runs to have a more precise idea of where Irma is headed.

Though obviously the attention-grabbing landfall and interaction up the entire Florida peninsula makes it hard to focus on the driving features, still must point out.

Clearly the trough lifts faster and the 500mb heights northeast of Irma while in the Bahamas are enough to allow the trough to miss. Also the GFS as with the ECMWF continues to close off an upper trough / cutoff over the southern MS/TN Valley. If (and big if this far out) that feature does resolve, it becomes a critical steering feature whether Irma is still down in the southern Bahamas, near Florida or north of Bahamas. Will be an important feature to see resolve IRL.

The GFS had shown a Carolina landfall with some consistency the past 6-7 runs. But even with consistency there can be huge changes in track with just a few minor changes in the exiting trough. Still a long way to go. We're probably going to have to wait until Irma is actually is nearing the Bahamas before we stop seeing huge shifts in track modeling on the operational runs. Yes, it's going to be a long week.

Archived