Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, TriPol said:

At this point? It might make that turn in the bay of campeche. I'm looking forward to getting recon data ingested with the model runs to have a more precise idea of where Irma is headed.

I agree with that but we may have to wait until 00Z Tuesday.  The G-IV missions scheduled to begin tomorrow will get some real time accurate data on the Atlantic ridge.  At this time the math gives us the information about that ridge (of course along with Sat data interpreted  by models and mets).  The G-IV mission will get the real time samples through the vertical that are always missing over open water and refine some of the variables.  But I think it will take until 00Z runs Tuesday  to get a more accurate picture of that ridge from the models with that data.  After all, in the near term it is the biggest player in the game.

3 minutes ago, TellicoWx said:

Where's the Ukie go from Cuba? During the winter it sometimes is a precursor to where the Euro may go. Not sure about Hurricanes.

It only goes out to 144 and is sitting in south Cuba at the end of the run. 

edit: link is being weird, I'm too tired to figure out why

2 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Pretty big burst of convection ongoing in Irma's inner core. Coolest cloud tops ive seen so far with this storm.72874b30738eeea54d9f249afd053dba.png

Notice the impingement on the outflow or the "flat spot" on the NNE side of the storm.  That's the ridging trying to push it to the SW.  See how the outflow is expanding nicely in the western quadrants.  That's the direction the storm  "wants" to go, the direction it was going before the ridge began to suppress it.  There's an inherent flow in the atmosphere it wants to follow but there is also pressure coming in trying to alter that flow.  Just my interpretation.

Hi - I'm a first time poster but have lurked here for a while and enjoy learning from what folks post. I'm a geologist and one of my field sites is in the Turks and Caicos. We've been waiting for a hurricane to roll through for a long time to track changes on a low-lying island in the region and I'll probably head down there soon as it seems Irma will hit the region pretty hard. I'm wondering if the major models make any predictions of storm surge that I could access beforehand, or if there is another way for me to ascertain this information? I just need a loose estimate for the region in the coming days. 

1 minute ago, pazzo83 said:

Is the Euro also showing insane pressures?

None of the runs I have seen so far, have shown anything under 915 or so IIRC... so if you consider that insane, then yeah (it's highly impressive nonetheless). Otherwise no. 

Archived