joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a near term perspective it's getting pretty crowded with bullies around Irma atm.  In the WV image/loops you can see the strengthening ridge to it's NNW moving the storm, almost stepping on it, to the SW but Irma wants to move more west with the TUTT to it's NW.  It just looks like there's a bit of a tug of war going on there, but ridges usually win. There also seems to be some ridging to it's SW that is being enhanced by a fairly strong easterly flow out ahead of what could be Jose in the near future.  That flow is almost out running the storm and it looks like the storm is getting pinched in the middle of all of these. It's pretty fascinating watching the loop.  The storm truly is getting pushed around like a pinball.  Once again in the latest model runs that TUTT to the NW is being delayed lifting out/dissipating.  All of this is giving the storm a hard time especially at the upper levels currently I believe.  I still think in the short term that TUTT to the NW is what's causing the west trend.   That's what I'm watching to give me an idea of when/if this thing gets an opportunity to dance with the incoming trof.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/tatl/flash-wv.html

wv-l (2).jpg

1 minute ago, Stebo said:

It isn't that high, I posted a topographic map a while ago in this thread, the very high mountains are on the southeast end near Hispaniola.

Less than very high mountains will still significantly impact the circulation of Irma.

1 minute ago, NCWeSU said:

Less than very high mountains will still significantly impact the circulation of Irma.

If it goes ashore, it doesn't look to go ashore but ride right along it also a circulation this massive wouldn't be affected as greatly compared to a smaller storm.

Archived