Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think some if these consistently modeled insanely low pressures may be the guidance trying to convey that we are going to see this system grow very large, too.

Could lead to some dry air entrainment issues, which is pretty common in very large Atlantic hurricanes. Especially on the southern flank, per GFS 500mb RH forecast.

I think a Carolinas landfall is highly probable at this point, the main question is how strong the ridging is and does the storm chug Northwest inland or does it head in a northern direction. So basically an Isabel type track or a Floyd/Irene type track. As of now it's looking like Isabel. As we all now, we are a ways out and the strength of that ridge will likely fluctuate on the models. The take home is that we are looking at a probable major hurricane landfall on the east coast and cat 5 shouldn't be ruled out with the consistently modeled intensities. I'm not buying an out to sea track, not with this ridge.

1 minute ago, Blizzard-on-GFS said:

I think a Carolinas landfall is highly probable at this point, the main question is how strong the ridging is and does the storm chug Northwest inland or does it head in a northern direction. So basically an Isabel type track or a Floyd/Irene type track. As of now it's looking like Isabel. As we all now, we are a ways out and the strength of that ridge will likely fluctuate on the models. The take home is that we are looking at a probable major hurricane landfall on the east coast and cat 5 shouldn't be ruled out with the consistently modeled intensities. I'm not buying an out to sea track, not with this ridge.

Is the track also going to be a function of the intensity of the storm?  In other words, a stronger storm would promote stronger ridging in response and would create more of an inland track?

13 minutes ago, Blizzard-on-GFS said:

And you don't see the possibility of the ridge changing at all?

Archived