Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

2 hours ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Any locals familiar with the  Mt Washington NH area ?

I'm thinking about visiting later this summer, and would be staying 2 or 3 nights.

Looking for a clean decent place to stay. (1 person)

We always stay with friends but there are plenty of decent hotels up there.   The Mt Washington Hotel is pretty spectacular. 

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The mountains or the beach for me...I envy you guys that live on the water sometimes too, lol.  Growing up in the Hudson Valley I knew at an early age I'd be living at one of those places.  I need those daily natural vistas of either mountains or ocean and an outdoor recreation oriented local population.

The ocean does have its own sort of lure. It's pretty awesome. But I love the mountains too. They have their own mystique and adventure. I've been on Winni so many times, but each time I go out on the Lake and look north towards the Whites...it's the same feeling. "That's f*cking awesome." I'm sure Champlain has the same feeling.

27 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

We always stay with friends but there are plenty of decent hotels up there.   The Mt Washington Hotel is pretty spectacular. 

I like the Mr Washington hotel too, if you want less expensive the lodge has been renovated and not bad. Not sure of the Bretton arms inn only stayed there once. Great dining at the Inn that's all I remember.

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Anyone see the damage photos from out west due to the heat? 

Some of the stuff is nuts...like plastic melting, paint on street signs running down, etc.

These are from Arizona.

Melted trash bin.

nintchdbpict000334282106.jpg?strip=all&q

Mailbox folded over due to heat.

nintchdbpict000334282114.jpg?strip=all&q

Street signs having their paint run.

nintchdbpict000334282110-e1498404148898.

nintchdbpict000334337813.jpg?strip=all&q

Frying eggs outside.

nintchdbpict000334282113-e1498404087480.

Baking cookies in your car.

nintchdbpict000334336210.jpg?strip=all&q

Yea it's hot but that recycle bin photo was from 2015. The lettering on the street signs has been an issue before the heat. 

38 minutes ago, hammerz_nailz said:

Yea it's hot but that recycle bin photo was from 2015. The lettering on the street signs has been an issue before the heat. 

Yeah, I call bunk on some of those.  That recycle bin looks like it was hit by a fire and you can't cook a cookie at those temperatures.  An egg maybe (it takes a long, long time at a minimum of 130 degrees, not 118.

10 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Yeah, I call bunk on some of those.  That recycle bin looks like it was hit by a fire and you can't cook a cookie at those temperatures.  An egg maybe (it takes a long, long time at a minimum of 130 degrees, not 118.

Inside of the car was probably over 145

8 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Inside of the car was probably over 145

I have no doubt and it's possible it "melted" but it didn't cook.  You need it to be closer to 200° to have that start happening and it would take several hours, not one hour.  That's why I pointed out the egg.  130° is the minimum and it takes hours.

1 hour ago, MetHerb said:

I have no doubt and it's possible it "melted" but it didn't cook.  You need it to be closer to 200° to have that start happening and it would take several hours, not one hour.  That's why I pointed out the egg.  130° is the minimum and it takes hours.

the egg may be the most believable of all those images tho - 

It's not the air temperature that is cooking that egg - it's the temperature of the pan surface, ... if and probably left out in the sun; further made possible because in 118 F air mass, the ambient ability to cool the pan down while still being lazed by high intensity insolation is compromised and the pan gains thermal energy until it achieves minimal temp for the proteins in the egg to begin denaturing - which is why it turns white at critical temperature.

This can be demonstrated in the summer months just about anywhere S of ~ the 45 parallel, when high heat combines with unabated sun.  

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

the egg may be the most believable of all those images tho - 

It's not the air temperature that is cooking that egg - it's the temperature of the pan surface, ... if and probably left out in the sun; further made possible because in 118 F air mass, the ambient ability to cool the pan down while still being lazed by high intensity insolation is compromised and the pan gains thermal energy until it achieves minimal temp for the proteins in the egg to begin denaturing - which is why it turns white at critical temperature.

This can be demonstrated in the summer months just about anywhere S of ~ the 45 parallel, when high heat combines with unabated sun.  

I agree it can be done...it just takes HOURS.

Yeah, the typical polymers used to make storage bins of that type are polypropylene.  Typical homogeneous poly p's melt around 320 depending on the purity... 

I don't know if even the Phoenix sun and a dark blue bin is enough, assuming that bin's chemistry is in fact PP - which it most likely is...  Assuming that is case, logic would argue that as soon as it got hot enough to be malleable and any air could pass inside and outside the bin, it would immediately cool back to not melting and re-harden - so it couldn't ever really get to a physical liquid state capable of deforming its structure in that way.    

15 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I agree it can be done...it just takes HOURS.

Not sure what you mean - what take's hours?  

The egg's protein components begin denaturing/whitens pretty quickly at temperature - roughly 150 F.  It doesn't gradually turn white over hours at 150 - that's a temperature that initiates structural changes in the protein bonds ... Nor does it take hours to heat that black flimsy metallic pan if it is in direct Phoenix sun at 118 F.   These things are all calculable - the formula can be researched in just a few moments, and the input data is all readily available too ...

As for the cookie - I have no idea on that :)    ... I don't bake cookies.  I fry eggs! 

Once again ... a month goes by ranking impressively in the on-going saga of the GW smoldering apocalypse ... May comes in ranked number 2 in Mays spanning 137 years of NASA records... 

# 2 ...  We've gotten so used to hearing # 1 in recent years ...and year's worth of months... that ringing in a # 2 means the problem is going away - riiiight? 

Anyway, and yet again...as has been the case through most of these chapters, the story continues to pound eastern N/A with comparative cold node:

gw.jpg.005afe8aa06b524f28393278f0b36cc0.jpg

We're not getting the GW sensible impact as readily here.   Some may try to argue that "sensibly" ...since these are decimal variances we wouldn't but that's not quiiite true.  What this can also be inferred is that when your region is cold(warm) then your respective bias also means you are less likely to experience the other extreme - it doesn't mean you can't.  Just that you'd be less likely... 

In this case, we've had a couple heat waves and ...actually (ironically) we set a record in the sense that at least for Logan, wasn't it the earliest in history that two were registered post March 1 ?   

Yet ... the rest point/base-line keeps somehow getting eastern N/A (and particularly SE Canada and NE) back the other direction.  I find it interesting that the vast majority of month-results keep finding a ways to be cool.   

13 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

i recall the incredible hot summer in Texas back a few years ago ... they had railroad track bowing and also ... interstate buckling isn't actually that uncommen...   But that melted garbage can - you think that's real?

Years ago my wife visited family in Arizona during May - only reached 108 - and talked with a Flagstaff resident while at the South Rim.  He said he never again went to PHX during the summer after he'd left his Kodak instamatic on the dash while mall shopping.  When he returned, the camera case was dripping onto the floor.

8 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Years ago my wife visited family in Arizona during May - only reached 108 - and talked with a Flagstaff resident while at the South Rim.  He said he never again went to PHX during the summer after he'd left his Kodak instamatic on the dash while mall shopping.  When he returned, the camera case was dripping onto the floor.

yeah ... I could see the plastic grade in a Kodak instamatic not being prorated to withstand a whole helluva lot - ...  It all comes down the chemistry in the plastic.  As I was mentioned above (and I only have an idea on the subject because I have a bevy of friends who are PE's ) PP storage bins don't melt as readily.  Who knows what the plastic compounds used by Kodak are - but... a dash top, particularly a dark one, under a sun in Minnesota would be bad 

On 6/23/2017 at 9:40 AM, MetHerb said:

I cut the cord years ago and have never looked back or been happier.  The thing is that most people are going to have an Internet connection whether they have cable or not so in the past you would bundle it.  Either way you are going to save money AND you get to choose what you are going to watch and when.  You're correct in that SOME people won't be able to get OTA channels but you're talking about a very small population.  There are solutions for people who live in apartments and 98%+ of the population will be able to get something with an indoor antenna.

I always recommend that people just get "slowest" possible package that cable or fiber operator will provide.  You only need about 5Mbps for an HD stream and even if you're using a phone or other device, even a 10Mbps connection will be good enough for most people.  You'll need the higher connection speeds for multiple stream or latency issues with gaming and other specialized applications but for most people a 10Mbps+ connection would suffice.

There are just so many options today it's ridiculous to pay $100+ for programming that is pushed at you when you don't use 95% of it.

I suppose even a DSL line could do this and for cheaper.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

The garbage can is least believable. Good luck finding a plastic that melts at temps that low. It looks like someone took a blowtorch to it.

There were a lot of fake images I remember from Oklahoma back in the 2011 and 2012 summer heat waves. A fire hit a street light post and melted the bulb and then someone posted the melted bulb and claimed the heat did it...lol. Like, these things take several hundred degrees to start melting.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

There were a lot of fake images I remember from Oklahoma back in the 2011 and 2012 summer heat waves. A fire hit a street light post and melted the bulb and then someone posted the melted bulb and claimed the heat did it...lol. Like, these things take several hundred degrees to start melting.

Yeah I didn't do any research but those photos were posted in some news media that I would've thought vetted them.

Guess not and that garbage can does look like fire as why would one corner melt but nothing else.

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Hope you're enjoy the COC! Take advantage of it!!

Hiking right now and standing at 3,600ft it is absolutely gorgeous out.

68/48 at the ASOS and 55F at 4kft.

Crisp blue sky dotted with increasingly tall Cu.   Nice flat bases with a few Virga streaks starting to appear.

Perfect day.  I can post some photos later to show you how terrible it is outside right now...know you've probably locked yourself in your bathroom with the shower on hot to get the right dewpoints ;).

Archived